Wooden pole in a field

Yeah thanks for pointing that out, it was 12 yrs ago... but it does make it worse in that it means i walked further to castleton!!

This story reminded me of the time I was walking the Pennine Way, having travelled the best part of 200 miles from Scotland we were crossing Black Hill, a bleak boggy waterlogged plateau, when we spotted a sign in the distance.

Thinking this must be a way-marker we headed towards the sign, this was difficult as the clumps of ground above the waterline started to diminish but by edging around the worst bits and performing Herculean leaps we finally got to the edge of a lake, 100 feet across with the sign in splendid isolation at its centre.

Peering through the mist we made out the message: “Dogs must be kept on a lead”

Who said town planners don’t have a sense of humour?

What I can't understand is why 272 people have viewed a thread called 'Wooden Pole in a Field', myself included! While the thread content is quite good, there must be some awfully bored folk out there! :hihi:

K x

Originally posted by alchresearch

Also bizarre is that it's called Stanedge Pole, but Stannage Edge! Obviously a variation of the same name.

I thought Stannage Edge was the cliff face and line of rocks used by climbers about 500 meters away from Stannage Pole :?.

We used to go riding up there every Sunday, until i very nearly rode straight off the edge in some fog. If i didn't hear the sheep bleating at the bottom, i'd have been off! :o

Originally posted by Kristian

What I can't understand is why 272 people have viewed a thread called 'Wooden Pole in a Field', myself included! While the thread content is quite good, there must be some awfully bored folk out there! :hihi:

K x

You dont think i actually do any work at work do you!??

Originally posted by algy

Is it the one on the Longshaw Estate near the triangular junction where the road turns down to Froggatt and Calver? If it is, it's a packhorse route marker from the 1700's, marking the route up from Hathersage. The track in a hollow way just below it is the old road. It's not the original, but it's been there many years, and the place is now known as Wooden Pole.

Is this the location? (under the blue 'P' for carpark?)

Originally posted by Kristian

K x

Ah Kristian - the explanation is simple. Those who are bored having read this thread, and those who, (like you and me), have found it fascinating, are quite simply.....poles apart!

:heyhey::)

Originally posted by xltim

can anyone shed light on the strange pole stuck in the middle of a field in derbyshire.

it has a tourist sign on it saying "wooden pole".

is this some kind joke.

i went into the field (with a workmate, just in case) but it is what it says it is, a wooden pole.

it looks like it has been there a long time as it is a bit battered.

does it need doing up a bit, can it be replaced with a new wooden pole or is it special.

please let me know

Is it like the North and South pole? :hihi:

Originally posted by cgksheff

Is this the location? (under the blue 'P' for carpark?)

Yes it is.

It's worth a look if you are passing, but I wouldn't make a special trip :)

Stanage... most likely comes from the old-english "Stang", meaning a pole. Their was an old folk custom in England known as "Riding the Stang".

The Stang was originally imported from Scandinavia... via Scotland, then into parts of England, with the May Poles there in scandinavia, known as- Majistang.

The old Riding poles originally used by Witches which later became the now distinctive broomstick, were know as stangs.

FFF(F).

Herne's Magister.

Since the edge predates the pole, perhaps a more obvious explanation would be that Stanage is simply a local version of 'stone edge', which certainly describes it, and the pole gets its name from the nearby edge.