How Short is Short then?

Reading a while ago that an American magazine described someone who was 5' 4" as short, I was mortified to find my doctor measured me and said I was 5' 4and a half - I always thought I was 5'5 and half at least.

Last time I was measured I was 5'4 and a half inches, and I thought I mustn't have been stood up straight.

My mother always thought I was tallish, is the average height for a woman 5.6" nowadays, I do see a lot of tall teenagers and a lot of small oldish women

For women 5ft ish and under I view as short.

Men anything under 5,7ish looks a bit short I think. What's the problem anyway?

years ago there was a telivision series called talls and smalls . Anyone under 5 feet 2 was classed as vermin second class citizens. we used to have a laugh with that one in our crowd at the time . we had a very rich pal who was 5 feet 1 and a half , however we made him an honoury tall , just so we could borrow a few quid when we were skint .

I think "short" is relative, TBH.

I am 5'1 & 3/4 which isn't a horrendously short height, but I feel like a proper "shorthouse" compared to my sister who is 5'9. I would have loved an extra four or five inches in height, but it was not to be.

Reading a while ago that an American magazine described someone who was 5' 4" as short, I was mortified to find my doctor measured me and say I was 5' 4and a half - I always thought I was 5'5 and half at least.

People typically lose about 1 cm (0.4 inches) every 10 years after age 40. Height loss is even greater after 70 years old. In total, you may lose 1 to 3 inches in height as you age.

The discs that cushion and separate the vertebrae of the spine compress, and over time, shrink. This results in what we think of as normal age-related loss in height, which is not likely to be preventable. The second cause of loss of height is the compression and deterioration of the vertebrae as a result of bone loss, otherwise known as osteoporosis which can be treated and prevented.

does wearing stiletto heels have anything to do with height loss? (not that I wear them)

does wearing stiletto heels have anything to do with height loss? (not that I wear them)

Only if you have to have your legs chopped off after getting your feet stuck in a drain.

For women 5ft ish and under I view as short.

Men anything under 5,7ish looks a bit short I think. What's the problem anyway?

I don't want to end up a little old lady:(

Only if you have to have your legs chopped off after getting your feet stuck in a drain.

you have excelled yourself Cloudy with that one:hihi::thumbsup:

People typically lose about 1 cm (0.4 inches) every 10 years after age 40. Height loss is even greater after 70 years old. In total, you may lose 1 to 3 inches in height as you age.

The discs that cushion and separate the vertebrae of the spine compress, and over time, shrink. This results in what we think of as normal age-related loss in height, which is not likely to be preventable. The second cause of loss of height is the compression and deterioration of the vertebrae as a result of bone loss, otherwise known as osteoporosis which can be treated and prevented.

Drat! That means I'm probably now 5' and 1/2 inch, instead of my previously towering 5'2" :hihi:

I don't want to end up a little old lady:(

Aww sweet little old lady cressida. I thought you were insinuating being short was a bad thing. Bout to give you a telling off! :mad:

(not on my own behalf though- I'm a healthy height :hihi:)

is the average height for a woman 5.6" nowadays

I suspect that among under-40, and certainly among under-30s, it's quite a bit taller than that.

My mother, at 5'6", was the tallest girl in her class at school. She's tiny compared to most of the family now; all three grandkids, not yet 14, have overtaken her, my sister is nearly six feet, and I'm a few inches over it.