Computer Problem. Help!

I wonder if anyone can help please.

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 which was running Windows XP Home and as instructed by a Windows Update, I tried to download Service Pack 3. After the download it said to restart my computer but it didn't restart and only came up with a message as follows -

Primary hard disk drive 0 failure. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

I have tried replacing the battery and also tried using the Operating System Reinstallation CD but then it says Hard Drive is not connected.

My fears are that the Hard Drive has expired.

Could anyone advise me further, as I am not very knowledgeable about the techie side of computers? Thanks!

try f5 on boot up screen go into safe mode and try to do a system restore if not sure pm me

It could also be that if you have 2 HDs that somehow the order in BIOS was messed up. Happened to me once, so just check your BIOS and in which order the HDs are running.

A slightly more technical approach so apologies if I lose you.....open the case and see what make the hard drive is. Visit that manufacturers website and download the relevant diagnosis tools from there. You'll probably have to create either a floppy disc or CD so youll need another PC to do that. Then you should be able to run a proper error checker which may even be able to repair any errors on the disc.

This may mean you have to your OS setup again but at least you'll have a working PC :)

Thank you all for the advice, will give it a go and if it works will let you know. It is much appreciated.

try f5 on boot up screen go into safe mode and try to do a system restore if not sure pm me

id go with this option, first go to safety mode then do a system restore in safety mode :thumbsup:

Have tried using F5 on boot up screen but no joy. I can't get it to start in safe mode in order to try a system restore.

If I hold any F keys for very long I get a 'keyboard error' message.

If I hit F1 it just keeps on repeating the options.

Also when I hit the F2 it puts me onto the setup utility where there are various options that can be changed but I wouldn't know what needed to be changed there.

Turn your computer on.

Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message.

To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.

Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.

Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I have tried the things I felt capable of doing and nothing seemed to work so had to take it to an engineer who told me that the hard disk has failed so unfortunately it is going to cost to get it fixed. Still, hopefully the PC will last me for a bit longer once it is put right. Thanks again to you all. K