Zimbabwe elections,are they rigged?

Robbo,

Have no fear, dear heart, Timo has not lost his memory. I am aware that Smith put Wilson's government in an impossible position with the UDI stance. My point is, the government should have given more support to Smith before he made the declaration, borne out of the belief amonst whites that Britain had deserted them. Wilson, rather wisely [for him], realised that force would not bring Rhodesia back to its obediance. British public opinion was firmly against war, and the extended lines of communication involved would be an immense problem for any intervening British troops. Wilson imposed economic sanctions instead. The point is, it need not have come to this. What sort of British government ignores the plight of its kith and kin faced with the Soviet-supplied ZIPRA and ZANU terrorists?

I am perfectly aware that Lord Carrington lanced the boil at the Lancaster Gate conference of the summer of 79. I also acknowledge that it was a, Tory government -supervised, 'free' election. What are the prospects of a free election now? They are as likely as Ian Paisley converting to Catholicism.

Re the paternalistic MacMillan's 'Winds of Change' speech. Yes, I am aware of this historic moment too. I am also aware that it gave birth to the Conservative Monday Club, a voice for those who believed then, and still believe now, that Britain should have not given up her empire so easily. Not all Tories agreed with MacMillan.

I am not so sure about Mandela being 'the most inspirational politician of the twentieth century'. I would say that Churchill, Thatcher and Reagan have the edge. At least they did not plot to plant incendiary devices in public places.

Nelson Mandela was a terrorist and a marxist and to compare him with the greats of 20century history is propsterous.

The ANC are still a marxist organisation who will in good time do to South Africa what Mugabe has done to zimbabwe ie Rhodesia.

And as for Britain coming to the aid of the whites living over there not a hope in hell they have ignored their concerns and they ought to be ashamed on themselves.

If we had been in power it would not have even come to this.

When I think about the brave Bishop N'Cube, who has called for a peaceful revolution in Zimbabwe, I am reminded of the fate of another 'turbulent priest' in history.

How long before Mugabe turns on him? Yesterday's press photos of the dictator showed him dancing in jubilation. With his absurd little moustache, and his ludicrous, multi-coloured clothes, Mugabe looked like a Hitlerian version of Timmy Mallett [childrens' entertainer]. It would be hilarious were it not so tragic.

It reminds me of Saddam Hussain getting 99.9% of the vote in his last election. I don't know what happened to the other 0.1% but I suspect they aren't still around to find out.

Saddam would have the intelligence not to target the farms/properties of hardworking whites, realising how vital their contribution to the economy was.

As Enoch Powell said, Saddam may behave atrociously towards his own people, that is none of our business. We should have kept him in power, plied him with Quality Street chocolates, flattered him and rewarded him for being the Policeman of the Gulf. We would have had nothing to fear re oil either nor his linking up with fundamentalists, had we treated him with diplomatic respect. He was once a useful bulwark against the medieval imams of Iran.

Mugabe possesses none of the intelligence and guile of Saddam. He can never be an ally, as he loathes, abhors and despises everything 'Breeteesh'. F*** him with a ragman's trumpet, I am tempted to say. However, a more considered approach is called for. Send in the UN. Why not? If the situation in Bosnia demanded it, so does Zimbabwe. Here we have an ongoing situation of 'ethnic cleansing', with the grotesque rewarding of judges and politicians with the most fertile of white farmlands.

I remember refusing to donate to some charity for Zimbabwean projects around 1980. When asked why, I replied that in the next thirty years the 'native' population will turn on the whites. 'You are stuck in the past', came the impertinent reply from a female colleague.Was I?