What is religion?

What is religion and how did it exist

That page is interesting........

I have heard alot of ppl say religion IS JUST MADE UP and often causes more problems than anything else...

People dont think they can do certain things because thier RELIGION says they cant.....

Its very confusing.......... (On some levels)

Religion is humanity's effort to answer the question "What's it all for?"

Religion is humanity's effort to answer the question "What's it all for?"

Really so you don't think at least some religion is down to rather unprincipled people thinking to themselves; there seem to be an awful lot of saps around I bet if I make up alot of mystical bull**** I can I get them to do whatever I say & give me lots of free stuff?

I think religion is a tool used against frightened people.A bit like politicians,promise all & deliver nothing.

I think religion is a tool used against frightened people.A bit like politicians,promise all & deliver nothing.

I would certainly stop religious tax concessions,seemingly most of their collections go on themselves, wages ,pensions, buildings, repairs et cetera. I would also stop their nonesense being taught to children at school.

It is quite obvious the bible was not written by any super intellect.

As Einstein said, a lot of it is " rather childish"

Really so you don't think at least some religion is down to rather unprincipled people thinking to themselves; there seem to be an awful lot of saps around I bet if I make up alot of mystical bull**** I can I get them to do whatever I say & give me lots of free stuff?

Yes, that is its worst distortion. I term it "priestcraft".

Many groups have practised this way:

Communists, Catholics, Presbyterians, Muslims, Voodoo priests, and maybe the buil;ders of Stonehenge.

The Roman Emperors and the Pharaohs saw the advantage of a State religion in which they were regarded as divine.

But essentially religion's root is the human belief that taking a certain posture, saying certain words, maybe killing a sheep in just the right way, will mobilise hidden powers to give you what you want.

There's also the fear of death: "I am too wonderful to become extinct when my body dies; therefore I must have an immortal soul, which will pass on to see "GOD"". Also, the spirits of ancestors may hang about on Earth, and bring good or bad luck to people who encounter them.

I do not believe any of the above to be true.

I think you're right plekhanov, thats why I dont like those 27 Bishops

getting automatic seats in the House of Lords. The've eaned their living by

telling fairy tales[even barefaced lies] from the pulpit. Why should this

sophism guarantee them a top job in British politics.

What do you do when you've looked at an astonishing piece of artwork, painting for example?

- You appreciate, revere, respect and adore the person who has created it

But when you look at the universe, animals, plants, insects, us humans, and go even further by looking at your body, you don't remember the creator?

thats strangely a sad matter

I think you're right plekhanov, thats why I dont like those 27 Bishops

getting automatic seats in the House of Lords. The've eaned their living by

telling fairy tales[even barefaced lies] from the pulpit. Why should this

sophism guarantee them a top job in British politics.

Well said.

Yes, that is its worst distortion. I term it "priestcraft".

Many groups have practised this way:

Communists, Catholics, Presbyterians, Muslims, Voodoo priests, and maybe the buil;ders of Stonehenge.

The Roman Emperors and the Pharaohs saw the advantage of a State religion in which they were regarded as divine.

But essentially religion's root is the human belief that taking a certain posture, saying certain words, maybe killing a sheep in just the right way, will mobilise hidden powers to give you what you want.

There's also the fear of death: "I am too wonderful to become extinct when my body dies; therefore I must have an immortal soul, which will pass on to see "GOD"". Also, the spirits of ancestors may hang about on Earth, and bring good or bad luck to people who encounter them.

I do not believe any of the above to be true.

Western Christianity, so ****-sure their God exists, compares all other descriptions-definitions of God to their big guy in the sky who's gonna get you when you die. The fact that they can't trot this God out for all to see doesn't even dent their belief this divine fellow is there. Even the Hubble hasn't picked him up. So they cannot be expected to agree with science and the East. That would mean they have been wrong. Christians wrong? You have got to be joking.[Nice little earner]

What do you do when you've looked at an astonishing piece of artwork, painting for example?

- You appreciate, revere, respect and adore the person who has created it

But when you look at the universe, animals, plants, insects, us humans, and go even further by looking at your body, you don't remember the creator?

thats strangely a sad matter

There'd have to actually BE a creator before we did that. So far, not one single shred of evidence has ever appeared to suggest that there is.