Researching my family tree name is Swinscoe

There is information about this family in the One World Tree at Ancestry. This information was posted by Eric YOULE in Australia who is well known to many Sheffield family historians. I haven't seen him posting on the genealogical sites recently but his own websites are still active eg http://history.youle.info/.

This is an example of the information posted at Ancestry:

1. John Reginald Swinscoe (James Henry Edward Swinscoe3, John Swinscoe2, John Swinscoe1) was born 2 DEC 1881 in Sheffield, York, England, and died 1940 in Hull, Yorkshire. He married Elsie Lillian Howard 1905. He married Mary Helen Wilson. She was born 1896, and died 1970.

Children of John Reginald Swinscoe and Elsie Lillian Howard are:

2 i. Marjorie Swinscoe.

3 ii. Winifred (Betty) Swinscoe was born 3 SEP 1910 in Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield, and died 10 SEP 1986 in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.

+ 4 iii. Richard James (Peter) Swinscoe was born 7 APR 1919 in Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield.

5 iv. Elsie May (Wendy) Swinscoe was born 7 APR 1919.

Children of John Reginald Swinscoe and Mary Helen Wilson are:

+ 6 i. Paul Henry Swinscoe was born 26 AUG 1931, and died MAY 1993 in Hull, Yorkshire, England.

+ 7 ii. Living Swinscoe.

[+ indicates that they had issue]

Hugh

Eric's research into this family is also posted at World Connect and can be accessed from his site I posted a link to above. Click on 'My Family History' and scroll down to the bottom.

World Connect may be more reliable than Ancestry which unaccountably links this line to a John HOSINSKI - this is the sort of glitch I have noticed quite often at Ancestry.

Hugh

When I was about 15 or 16 [ 1957-8 ] we used to often go to Castleton on Sunday mornings on the 10 a.m. train and return in the evening [ Anyone who also went regularly won 't forget those rather wild journeys ! ]. Anyway, we had a friend who lived at Millhouses and, one Sunday, at Castleton we met a couple of girls he knew, one of whom, was Joan Swinscoe. I remember being very impressed by her ! She was very beautiful, very outspoken [ ! ] and very sophisticated, compared with us anyway.[ She had blonde hair, fair skin and lived around Whirlow ].

Round about that time, we also used to see her and a friend of hers in the Rickshaw, the one on West Street. We were ' ships that pass in the night ' but I often used to wonder what happened to her later. I always thought she 'd make an impact somehow, with her ' larger than life ' personality.

I remember your dad well and am very sorry that he has passed. Remember that I only knew him as a kid and we parted company after we left school and lost touch. Richard was a lively somewhat "naughty boy" who was intelligent and well liked. His close friends included a lad called John Hudson who mysteriosly diaspppeard when they would be about 14, I think maybe your dad was diabetic or had some other long term ailment as I remember on a couple of occassions he was a bit unwell.

Sorry I can t be more detailed it is long toime ago, my over riding memory is that he was a nice guy.

Oh wow yes thats right Richard is my dad and his sister, my auntie is Joan! Thats great can you remember much about him, what he was like etc. Hope to hear from you soon thank you!

One other avenue you could persue is to order Donald and Ethels marriage certificate this would give you 2 sets of paternal names (both of the bride and groom) which would be a good starting point. That is if you have any interest in the Hornbuckle branch.

Their marriage was in Bradford in 1945 in Jul/Aug/Sept Quarter of 1945 Volume 9b page 348.

Incidentally Ancestry has D.W Swinscoe telephone book entrys at 65 Whirlowdale Road from the late 90's right back to 1947 !!

Hi there,

My grandmother was Joan Lillian Swinscoe and I believe she was born in Rutland (but in Nottinghamshire). I'm not quite sure how old your auntie would have been but Joan (or Joanne as she was named on her birth cert) was born in 1919 or there abouts I think - is this a little earlier for the Joan you're searching?

Anyway, I can't tell you too much about her to be honest her mother remarried some time after she was born and her named changed to Marriott which was the new husband's name I think (or so her birth cert suggests??).

She did have a younger brother (half-brother) and possibly a younger sister too.

If this isn't the connection you're looking for - good luck with the rest of your search!

: )

There was a Richard Swinscoe who used to be at the Court School of Dancing when I was there round about 1967. He was a diabetic. I think he also had a sister but I can't remember her name.

There was a Richard Swinscoe who used to be at the Court School of Dancing when I was there round about 1967. He was a diabetic. I think he also had a sister but I can't remember her name.

hi Richard was my dad and his sister was called Joan x

Hi there,

My grandmother was Joan Lillian Swinscoe and I believe she was born in Rutland (but in Nottinghamshire). I'm not quite sure how old your auntie would have been but Joan (or Joanne as she was named on her birth cert) was born in 1919 or there abouts I think - is this a little earlier for the Joan you're searching?

Anyway, I can't tell you too much about her to be honest her mother remarried some time after she was born and her named changed to Marriott which was the new husband's name I think (or so her birth cert suggests??).

She did have a younger brother (half-brother) and possibly a younger sister too.

If this isn't the connection you're looking for - good luck with the rest of your search!

: )

No its not same person but thanks it could still be a family member x

Hi there. It's a small world. I remembered Joan's name as soon as you mentioned it. Did they both teach at the Court or was it just your Dad? x

Hi there. It's a small world. I remembered Joan's name as soon as you mentioned it. Did they both teach at the Court or was it just your Dad? x

As far as im aware Joan did'nt but my dad definitley did were you a student?

Hi tifftifco2

I was a teacher along with your dad, Linda, Doreen, and Gene. Ken Waller was the manager. Sorry to hear about your dad.