Amos Stuart - Sheffield Gang Wars

Hi all. Regarding Percy Sillito. He was the Chief Constable brought in to replace the previous Chief Lt Col John Hall Dalwood. Sillito ended up taking all the credit for Hall Dalwoods work. The most notable Sillito myth was that he formed the Flying Squad, this had in fact been operating for exactly one year to the day when he took office. Hall Dalwood was unpopular with the Police Authority hence this situatiion arising in the first place.

Regards Dave 59

As a teenager in the forties, I was told that Percy Sillito boasted that he would make Sheffield so law abiding that he would be able to hang his gold watch under the white bridge and find it there next morning. At the end of his tenure, he did that and story goes on that next morning watch was gone.

I went to the Sacred Heart school with Margaret Mooney and Jimmy Mooney. They both had red hair and the family face. In 1967, in Los Angeles California, I met a young lady with both Mooney face and hair. She said she was from Sheffield and that she knew nothing of the Mooney Gang history.

That story is a bit of an urban myth, it appears to originate from the five points area of New York where the then Police Commissioner (totally corrupt) made the same boast.

It is referenced in the film Gangs of New York by Martin Scorcese.

As a teenager in the forties, I was told that Percy Sillito boasted that he would make Sheffield so law abiding that he would be able to hang his gold watch under the white bridge and find it there next morning. At the end of his tenure, he did that and story goes on that next morning watch was gone.

I went to the Sacred Heart school with Margaret Mooney and Jimmy Mooney. They both had red hair and the family face. In 1967, in Los Angeles California, I met a young lady with both Mooney face and hair. She said she was from Sheffield and that she knew nothing of the Mooney Gang history.

Hi Brian

There was a Margaret Mooney with a round face and curly ginger hair that lived next to my grandma on Dagnam road just off Eastern avenue, I think this was around the mid 60s..

I think that the girl i'm thinking of may have been older than me (it was over 45 years ago!!) so i'm not sure if it was the same lass!

Would you know whether the girl you went to school with ever lived at the Manor top??

Cheers, Biggsy :)

Hmmm

It wouldn't do to rub Fanny up the wrong way :hihi:

I think the coppers name was spelt Shillito, he was a big Scotsman apparently and didn't fanny about with the gangsters, he (and his officers) used to dish some knuckle out :o

Biggsy :D

Shillito I believe was brought down from Glasgow after sorting out the gangs up there.

Hi Brian

There was a Margaret Mooney with a round face and curly ginger hair that lived next to my grandma on Dagnam road just off Eastern avenue, I think this was around the mid 60s..

I think that the girl i'm thinking of may have been older than me (it was over 45 years ago!!) so i'm not sure if it was the same lass!

Would you know whether the girl you went to school with ever lived at the Manor top??

Cheers, Biggsy :)

We had a Mooney in our year at Prince Edwards about 1956 ish.

I think Gladys Lishman was my Grandmothers sister, my mums auntie was Gladys....Bill Lishman was a relative my grandmother was called Elsie Lishman.

Elsie was my mothers sister,my mum was Vera Scott (formerly Lishman),sadly lost Vera a few years ago now and would be nice to try and find out if I have any relatives still living in the area. I believe I'm the youngest (52) of the Lishmans (Scott) next generation and you must be the generation after seeing as Elsie (my aunt)was your grandmother.

I knew Joe and Mary Mooney we grew up down the Park District they were brother and sister, they moved to the Arbourthorne. I was only talking about them today,I last saw them when I was around 17 I'm 64 now.

Amos had one daughter to his wife Eliza in 1923. Her name was  Pauline and she  passed away 2017 age 93. I am one of her 2 daughters, Marie.

My sister, his other grandaughter is Lynda.

He and my grandmother divorced when mum was very young.

He did live with Gladys but to my knowledge they never married .

I was told to look up Amos Stuart on the Sheffield Forum and felt I should offer the information I have on Amos. Amos was my mum's uncle.

AMOS STUART born 1874                                                                                                                                                                1881 Census                                                                                                                                                                                         Amos Stuart aged 7 lived with his parents, William and Sarah, at 14 Cheap Street, Leeds             

Census  1891                                                                                                                                                                        

Amos aged 17 lived with his parents at 4 Oaks Green Attercliffe, Sheffield. My grandmother, Annie (my mother’s mother), was aged 4 at the time. Amos and Annie were siblings.                                                                                                                                                                  

1901 Census                                                                                                                                                 

Amos now aged 27, still living with his parents, at 42 Trinity Street.                                                                          In this same census Hannah Sedgwick, aged 22, was a visitor along with her children, Wilfred aged 3 and Elizabeth aged 1, from her previous husband. Amos and Hannah had more children together but I have no further information. Amos died aged 76 at the Northern General Hospital and was buried at City Road Cemetery on the 22nd Dec 1949. Grave # 14831 Section NN                                                                                                                                        

15 hours ago, Callie48 said:

I was told to look up Amos Stuart on the Sheffield Forum and felt I should offer the information I have on Amos. Amos was my mum's uncle.

AMOS STUART born 1874                                                                                                                                                                1881 Census                                                                                                                                                                                         Amos Stuart aged 7 lived with his parents, William and Sarah, at 14 Cheap Street, Leeds             

Census  1891                                                                                                                                                                        

Amos aged 17 lived with his parents at 4 Oaks Green Attercliffe, Sheffield. My grandmother, Annie (my mother’s mother), was aged 4 at the time. Amos and Annie were siblings.                                                                                                                                                                  

1901 Census                                                                                                                                                 

Amos now aged 27, still living with his parents, at 42 Trinity Street.                                                                          In this same census Hannah Sedgwick, aged 22, was a visitor along with her children, Wilfred aged 3 and Elizabeth aged 1, from her previous husband. Amos and Hannah had more children together but I have no further information. Amos died aged 76 at the Northern General Hospital and was buried at City Road Cemetery on the 22nd Dec 1949. Grave # 14831 Section NN                                                                                                                                        

Hi Callie48 and welcome to the Sheffield Forum

RS in Sheffield

hi yes i have information stuart was infact married to gladys lishman i know this because her brother is my great grandad so i am a relative of amos stuart please reply for any further information