Amos Stuart - Sheffield Gang Wars

thanks for the replies,

rainbow2411

yes i would like to share your familytree information with me.

Amos was my great uncle ,he was my fathers uncle, his sister Elizabeth was my gran.

bye

What is your Stuart father or mother called?

elizabeth stuart is my grandmother she was married to William Henry Taylor,and they had 1 son called Douglas william taylor ,who is my father, she left when he was a baby .

Does anyone know what happened to her,as we cannot find any divorce records or death record.

Hi Patricia

Elizabeth was my grandma too although I never met her as she died young. I have spoken to my mum about this and have sent you a private email. If you want to contact her I will let you have her telephone number by private email.

Hi there,i worked with Henry Stuart in the early sixties,at Riley's transport,Birley vale,Intake.Also we lived close to each on the Hackenthorpe,Henry lived on Carter Lodge Rise,a couple of houses off Carr Forge Rd.where i lived.I believe he was one of the close family members.A great mate to work with.!!.clydesdale.

henry worked for j g osborne in the late 60s drove GET772E scammell hywayman

osbornes had the SKF work from rileys

long story , but fun :hihi:

Hi ccmaefr

Just been talking to my mum Patricia Malone, apparently Hannah Sedwick was her grandmother and Elizabeth Sedwick was her mum. Amos steward was her uncle and at one point when Elizabeth died quite young my mother's sister Ivy Malone was taken in by Amos and Lishman and lived with them for a long while. My mother is a wealth of information and if you wish I can give you her phone number and she along with Ivy can give you loads of info, it seems that the Stewarts are a very extended family and she has names that haven't been mentioned in previous posts.

Hi Rose

Ivy Malone was married to my uncle (Lawrence Biggs) and has a son also called Lawrence ;)

There was an Amos Stuart who was a coal merchant in Attercliffe in the 1950's

I lived at Amos's house at Campbell road with my parents as caretakers, I was very young at the time but can recall the Sheffield Gales in 1963 as it blew down the stables in the yard!!!

My mate Terry Stuart is related to Amos & Alf.He has a cousin,Betty Stuart(now Lamey)whose family were coal merchants.Betty lives on Pennistone road,just by Hillbro'football ground,but she's been in poor health for a good few years now.Terry used to work on the coal as a young man.He's retired now through ill health as well,lives on Penrith & still manages to get for a pint in the Forty Foot now and then.

Hi RedTed

Betty Stewart and Walt Lamey were great friends with my parents, also their son and daughter, Scott and Natalie..

Betty was like a model in her younger days, very beautiful and very like Sophia Loren!!!

Walt was a cockney and a right laugh!! :hihi::hihi:

Cheers, Biggsy :)

did amos stuart live at the bottom of carltonville road,also did one of his daughters marry a norman roberts!

The mooney gang i believe used to operate around Park district My mum used to tell us stories of gang fights using bricks iron bars and sewer grates. Later in life we lived next door to an ex policeman who was on scilletos sqad which cleaned up the Sheffield gangs. (not sure if ive got the name Scilleto correct) I think this all took place 1920s-30s?

My nan often mentioned the mooney gang she worked at the Nelson?pub just off Arundel Street owned by a 6ft woman called Fanny Needham,who by all accounts was not to be messed with,im pretty sure the Mooney gang frequented that pub but were careful not to antagonise Fanny.

My nan often mentioned the mooney gang she worked at the Nelson?pub just off Arundel Street owned by a 6ft woman called Fanny Needham,who by all accounts was not to be messed with,im pretty sure the Mooney gang frequented that pub but were careful not to antagonise Fanny.

Hmmm

It wouldn't do to rub Fanny up the wrong way :hihi:

I think the coppers name was spelt Shillito, he was a big Scotsman apparently and didn't fanny about with the gangsters, he (and his officers) used to dish some knuckle out :o

Biggsy :D

Cliffelad,

Are you Pete,brother of Tom.

Southfork.

In the early 60s I was in the Wellington on Brightside Lane when Amos Stuart another thug and two females came in. There was a small snug on the right a you came in from Upwell Street.

Amos was in a beligerent mood and threw a packet of cigs on the floor of the snug and told the room that he would kill anyone who picked them up.

The Landlord came round the bar picked up the cigs suffed them down Amos shirt and pasted him all over the bar, when Amos mate tried to join in he got a crack as well, last time I saw either of them was being propped up unconscious on the outside wall of the pub.

Hard men?