Amos Stuart - Sheffield Gang Wars

hi,

Thank you for all the replies! its so interesting finding out about him.

The amos stuart that married Hannah Sedwick was his dad. In the census before Amos(jnr) was born, Hannah Sedwick was living with Amos(snr) and i presume they got married in the 20's. Amos(jnr) was in prison from 1925 to 1935.

Does anyone know of Gladys Lishman? If they had children?

Did he stay in the sheffield area?

Thank you so much for all your information!

x

my dad says we saw amos and gladys in 1974 at my aunts house , I can,t recall this .

my mum says she will get the info off my aunt .

Hi,

We have just started doing some family history stuff and was wondering if anyone has any information on Amos Stuart who was involved in the Princess Street Murder? Theres quite a lot of information about him up to going in to prison but wondered what happened to him once he was released? did he marry? have a family of his own?

Thank you

amos married hanna sedgwick she had two children already to her previous marriage . alf, amos, george ,henery, my grandma and a few others because they was 13 kids in total, after amos came out he re married and had a few children. amos had 8 kids but i dont know if they were to the same women . my grandma used to deliver coal back in them days.im going to get our family tree tonight so this will help . are you related ? sean

Amos snr was my mother's uncle and he had a fruit shop on the corner of St Charles Street in Attercliffe. The photograph of Amos jnr in the Sheffield Gang Wars book is the double of my mother's brother Alf Pearson aka Bill to his family.

amos snr also had henry 1910, elizibeth sedgwick went on to marry taylor and malone. gilbert , lena , violet , rose , douglas , louisa , and dorris my grandmar all are stuarts hope ths helps you

These people are my great Aunts and Uncles although I really only remember Rose and Lena. I seem to remember my mum telling me my grandmother was a Stuart before marrying my grandad Joseph Malone. I vaguely remember my mother telling me about the gang wars and I will ask her the next time I see her. Her name is Patricia Malone.

yeah I think these are my great great cousins? or uncles? I have a million pieces of scrap paper with it all written on so going to have to sit down and try and put some kind of order in to it!

So the Alf that owned the coal merchants was his brother?

Does anyone know of any stories? Im interested in find out where he lived (street) and whetehr he had children but also stories about the family, Incidents like what happened in the pub. I'd like to know my past not jus the facts.

Thank you everyone

x

yeah I think these are my great great cousins? or uncles? I have a million pieces of scrap paper with it all written on so going to have to sit down and try and put some kind of order in to it!

So the Alf that owned the coal merchants was his brother?

Does anyone know of any stories? Im interested in find out where he lived (street) and whetehr he had children but also stories about the family, Incidents like what happened in the pub. I'd like to know my past not jus the facts.

Thank you everyone

x

sean lilley [poster on here ] is the best to contact , he has helped me loads .

amos had 8 kids to his first wife .

ive got the full family tree here and the history of the stuarts their kids and where our distant relatives came from . they were back and forth to leeds alot .

There was an Alf Stuart who was the coalman in the Shirecliffe area c1940's .
wlfred and elizibeth were her children to her first marriage they lived with with the stuarts then hannah married amos and had 12 children and wilfred and elizibeth .

These people are my great Aunts and Uncles although I really only remember Rose and Lena. I seem to remember my mum telling me my grandmother was a Stuart before marrying my grandad Joseph Malone. I vaguely remember my mother telling me about the gang wars and I will ask her the next time I see her. Her name is Patricia Malone.
ive got the full family tree of our family traced right back to 1823 i cant get any further. our family is very big and it would be nice if one day we could all get togather , sean

Hi ccmaefr

Just been talking to my mum Patricia Malone, apparently Hannah Sedwick was her grandmother and Elizabeth Sedwick was her mum. Amos steward was her uncle and at one point when Elizabeth died quite young my mother's sister Ivy Malone was taken in by Amos and Lishman and lived with them for a long while. My mother is a wealth of information and if you wish I can give you her phone number and she along with Ivy can give you loads of info, it seems that the Stewarts are a very extended family and she has names that haven't been mentioned in previous posts.