Ross And Brand - How Far Is Too Far?

May be a bit close to the knuckle but it's a shame Sachs doesn't have a sense of humour.

Yeah, imagine that. What is the world coming to when people dont laugh at disgusting things being said about their family.

How come people are excusing the actions of these two pillocks by accusing the victim of being humourless :loopy:

How come people are excusing the actions of these two pillocks by accusing the victim of being humourless :loopy:

I guess that would depend on whether your humour stretched to repeated phone calls being abusive (because that's what it was) about your grand-daughter's so-called bedroom antics - which were lies anyway.

My dad is only a few years older than Sachs and although he knows me pretty well, I'd be disgusted if anyone even contemplated using language like that down the phone to him - he's not used to is and he certainly wouldn't want his daughter being spoke about like to to him, whether true, or a joke, or not.

I'm not entirely sure he'd "get over it" either.

I know Sachs should get a sense of humour and take the abuse which he doesn't deserve. :rolleyes:

It's a typical and increasingly common tactic of the bully to keep making offensive comments until the victim reacts and then sneer "What's up? Can't you take a joke?" as if that makes it all right. Oh right, it's a joke - that's okay then. :loopy:

Brand's mildly amusing and Ross may have provoked the odd chuckle over the years but neither has ever put in a comic performance as funny as Sachs' in Fawlty Towers. One imagines there may have been a touch of jealousy when they decided to pick on him.

i am not excusing the actions of these two pillocks AO :)

i think the people who are offended by it, are not ross and brand fans which makes a big difference

i am surprised that andrew sachs, after working with john cleese and getting physical abuse on a regular basis (as manuel on fawlty towers) is so sensitive

here's an interview with andrew sachs....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QJBKhdfmAHo

he does seem a gentleman.....but rather humourless :)

Well I watched him laughing as he enjoyed recalling particular scenes, so I don`t know what you wanted from him. Perhaps some swearing/filth/insults would have been preferable?

i think the people who are offended by it, are not ross and brand fans which makes a big difference

i am surprised that andrew sachs, after working with john cleese and getting physical abuse on a regular basis (as manuel on fawlty towers) is so sensitive

That was a character in a tv show, to which I'm sure he knew exactly what he was getting himself into having read scripts. This incident was aimed not only at him, but his grand-daughter - a totally different matter alltogether if you ask me.

firstly, to laugh at something, it needs to be funny. that wasn't funny.

secondly, I STR that Sachs was paid to take the slapstick from Cleese.

thirdly, AFAIK, harm only came to Sachs once during the filming of FT, when one of the slapstick "cuffings" JC gave him was mistimed, and Sachs was mildly concussed.

fourthly, the slapstick cuffings" were pretend "cuffings", not something deliberately calculated to cause him distress, harassment or humiliation. (and distress and humiliation to other members of his family)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=920636&highlight=ross

Seems like some fans of them are even offended by it and think it was sick.