Ross And Brand - How Far Is Too Far?

I think the general public has finally snapped, and expressed its annoyance and displeasure at the low standards of behaviour and lack of respect and good manners in society. Brand and Ross have been the fall-guys - they pulled the wrong stunt at the wrong time. The mood in society at the moment is quite sober due to the financial crisis, and the pair of them completely misjudged the moment.

I thought that about the Jade Goody/Shilpa Shetty debarcle. That the nation had come to it's collective sensed and finally objected to people offending, humiliating and being rude and aggressive to each other being sold to us as being entertainment that we should pay for.

But it goes on, in a few months this will be foergotton about, but this kind of 'entertainment' will go on, with or without Ross and Brand.

I should have clarified my post, what I meant was that the media had destroyed the careers of both Leslie and Deyton, yes the former was 'accidentally' outed on the Wright Stuff then suddenly the tabloids were swarming with women willing to tell their stories of Leslie's predatory behaviour. It also launched Abi Titmuss' career.

As for Deyton, I actually felt his sacking was totally unfair, more understandable if he had been a Blue Peter presenter but he wasn't. Given that many of those running and working for the tabs are most likely to be recreational drug users, it was deeply hypocrital.

Deyton wasn't sacked from the BBC - he was just sacked from Have I Got News. From what I can recall, I think it was as much to do with Ian Hislop and t'other one objecting to working with him as it was the "public outrage".

I entirely agree with your comments about the hypocrisy of the media - some of them are nearly as bad as politicians :hihi:

What concerns me is the whole trial by media phenomenon. Whilst I have no problems with risque and edgy humour, in fact I like it (which is why Nighty Night appealed me so much, well the first series anyway), I do think in this instance it went too far as it was personalised. A reprimand and public apology would have sufficed.

I thought that about the Jade Goody/Shilpa Shetty debarcle. That the nation had come to it's collective sensed and finally objected to people offending, humiliating and being rude and aggressive to each other being sold to us as being entertainment that we should pay for.

But it goes on, in a few months this will be foergotton about, but this kind of 'entertainment' will go on, with or without Ross and Brand.

I run weekend courses on use, abuse, aggression, offence, humiliation, human sacrifice and how to cook a baked bean.

PM me for details.

It's an excellent point you make there, and all I can say is I hope it won't be forgotten this time in a matter of weeks.

However, the economic/ social climate is VERY different from the time of the public outcry about Shilpa Shetty's treatment. I don't know, I think people really are totally fed up with this sort of juvenile behaviour, and most people really have had enough of it. Enough's enough.

But who knows? At least this is all being discussed though, and really, I think that has got to be a good, healthy thing for society just to be talking about it, even if it does tail off after a few weeks.

A least the subject will have had a good airing, and the fed-up-ness of the public will have been noted.

StarSparkle

I'm glad this issue is drawing to a close as I think it's disgusting that this is the centre of attention whilst there is a looming depression over the horizon and Brown has time to comment on it. The fact that so many people are interested in this is quite telling as I do believe that if the economy was healthy and people weren't so on edge, this would've died a death much sooner.

Deyton wasn't sacked from the BBC - he was just sacked from Have I Got News. From what I can recall, I think it was as much to do with Ian Hislop and t'other one objecting to working with him as it was the "public outrage".

I entirely agree with your comments about the hypocrisy of the media - some of them are nearly as bad as politicians :hihi:

I think the fact that Deyton didn't have the support of Hislop and Merton was the final nail in the coffin. The episode of HIGNFY recorded after the expose of him and a prostitute was utterly hilarious though, I thought the ribbing he got from the 2 was brilliant plus the T-shirt that Merton wore, which from memory had the front cover of the Sun emblazoned across it. :hihi::hihi:

I'm glad this issue is drawing to a close as I think it's disgusting that this is the centre of attention whilst there is a looming depression over the horizon and Brown has time to comment on it. The fact that so many people are interested in this is quite telling as I do believe that if the economy was healthy and people weren't so on edge, this would've died a death much sooner.

I think that's probably very true, Carrie - but the economic downturn is out of our hands, there is very little any of us can do about it. There probably isn't much Gordon Brown can do about it.

The question of respect and good manners and the like in society affects all of us, both now and in the future, with regard to our Quality of life, and it's something we can all have an input into.

StarSparkle

Does anyone else see a similarity to the Danish cartoons case? Mass outrage, not at the time of broadcast/publication, but some time after stirred up by people with another agenda beyond the simple offense itself.

Andrew Sach's clearly wasn't so upset that he objected to it being aired at the time though, otherwise when he had the opportunity in advance he would have objected. What he did say, reveals he had listened to it, was that they should tone it down a bit.

It was only when the Daily Mail got involved a week later after there had been 2 complaints, not about the content but about Jonathon Ross using a swear word after the watershed and preceded by a warning about foul language, that he decided to be offended.

9-5 workers is not a fair comparison. Most 9-5 workers aren't employed for their risque senses of humour.

Hmm, I'd like to agree with your comments, or some of them at least, but I can't.

Sach's agent said he was "very upset".... you seem to think otherwise, I guess only Sachs can answer who is right here.

As the "only 2 complaints" argument....that's really a non issue, there are many reasons why a late night radio broadcast would attract few complaints, and I outline these in a previous post (I'll find the post number later).

But let me put this to you,

If Brand and Ross had pulled the exact same prank call on Jonathon Ross's Friday night show on BBC 1, it's a fair bet that the BBC would have been flooded with complaints without any intervention of the Daily Mail.

You say the 9-5 comparisison isn't a fair one, I beg to differ.

"Risque humour" doesn't mean "unacceptable and offensive".

I find that actually a pretty poor excuse, that it's okay that Ross and Brand are allowed to do things that are "unacceptable and offensive" because they have been employed for their "Risque humour".

Everything has it's rules and boundaries that you don't cross, even if you are performing "risque humour".

I would be "hilarious" no doubt if Ross or Brand landed a punch on some quests that they didn't like on their shows, but that doesn't give them the right to do it, without consequences.

I think that's probably very true, Carrie - but the economic downturn is out of our hands, there is very little any of us can do about it. There probably isn't much Gordon Brown can do about it.

The question of respect and good manners and the like in society affects all of us, both now and in the future, with regard to our Quality of life, and it's something we can all have an input into.

StarSparkle

There is a lot that governments can do to address the economic crisis. It's a man-made phenomenon and as such, it is something that can be fixed if done collectively (this is the problem and why it is contentious). But yes... everyday people cannot do much other than curb their own spending.

I do think respect is important and I can understand people's viewpoints on this incident, but I think that it really has been blown out of proportion and that Brand/Ross are being made an example of. As far as this translating into everyday lives, then I think it's up to individuals to decide what they do/don't watch and how they behave towards other people and the excuse that other people are behaving badly doesn't cut it.

Does anyone else see a similarity to the Danish cartoons case? Mass outrage, not at the time of broadcast/publication, but some time after stirred up by people with another agenda beyond the simple offense itself.

Okay Alastair, you hate this witch hunt, although you had no qualms of having your own witch hunt against Ms.Baillie.

Now the BBC have said yesterday:

""We recognise that some of the content broadcast was unacceptable and offensive."

now given that we are talking about the same broadcast that was aired some 10 days ago, then that means that it was deemed as "unacceptable and offensive" by the BBC when it was first recorded.

Now which parts of the BBC statement don't you understand?:rolleyes: