Stronghold and frontline...

After looking after my friends dog i found that my 5 cats and 2 Lhasa Apsos had fleas.. was slightly shocked as my lot are reguarly frontlined. Spoke to vets (couldnt afford to take all 7 to vets) who suggested frontline spray as boost.

Just been told by (my so called) friend that she has had to have her dog treated for mites (well i was conbcerned by his state when he arrived..

After speaking to my friends mum who shows dogs as crufts she has recommmended stronghild ...however after treating them with frontline can i treat them with stronghold

Thanks for your advice :)

hiya i used to be a veterinary nurse so in theory i should know what im talking about!! hehe

i would use frontline combo as it treats ur house/kennel etc as well as ur animal, cause as u prob know the flea eggs drop off ur animal n thrive off warm carpets!! the frontline lasts for up to 8 weeks on dogs 5 weeks on cats so during this time i wouldnt reccommend using another product, but in 8 weeks time u know ur pet and house is flea free u could then use stronghold

hope this helps

don't overdose your own animals!

what kind of mites was this dog treated for? and has it had the all-clear before coming to your house?

I bet your mum won't be visiting for a while now!

I don't think that this is the sort of question that can be answered by anyone other than a vet because the interactions list that is available for reference with human medicines isn't anything like as easily available for veterinary medicines.

I'd be confident in researching human medicines to make sure that there was no risk of making myself (or someone else) ill by taking 2 drugs at the same time, but I can't find any similar resource for vet drugs.

EDIT- no intention to discredit you j118nne- I had to take the hound out during the middle of posting and missed your answer.

Ditto.. checked all google.

Frontline doesnt treat mites .. so need to know if can dose with both.

oh i didnt read ur thread right sorry didnt realise u were wanting to treat for mites as well i thought it was just fleas ur pets had

thats a definate sign i need sleep!!

The thing about the Frontline if they get fleas on them they do die , but it doesn't stop them getting on them. I am not so sure that sometimes frontline doesn't work as we found live fleas on a friends dog who was frontlined only 14 days before we found them!! Peak vets just told us to retreat him and that did the trick.

I use stronghold in the house , we have never had a problem thankfully.

I use front line spot on but also have some frontline spray in the cupboard too. Frontline for dogs is 8 weeks, but if you have a multiple cat /dog household you can frontline the dogs more regularly as little as every 5 weeks. I have never mixed Frontline with Stronghold and wouldnt recommend it.

Frontline and stronghold have totally different modes and site of action and are safe to use together, though it is recommended to leave it 1 week between treatments to be completely safe and remove any doubt from your mind. Furthermore, if you are using stronghold it won't be necessary to treat with frontline as well, as stronghold gets the fleas too.

I meant to say the stronghold is for the house not the cat , it means hopefully we won't get a flea infestation in my home! which is my worst nightmare. When i was younger i went with my cousin to veiw a house which was infested , I was wearing my wellies and got bitten all around the top of the wellies , i scratched myself for days :( and was very sore. hence why i protect the house as well as the animals.

So - which is the best one to use then after all that?

sorry - bit dim at this time of night

I also use Advocate if anything comes to us with mange but am not 100% sure about how that works in the case of them being bathed afterwards. Sometimes we can advocate them straight away, whereas its not easy to bath a dog straight away - should we re do the treatment after they have been bathed?

I meant to say the stronghold is for the house not the cat , it means hopefully we won't get a flea infestation in my home! which is my worst nightmare. When i was younger i went with my cousin to veiw a house which was infested , I was wearing my wellies and got bitten all around the top of the wellies , i scratched myself for days :( and was very sore. hence why i protect the house as well as the animals.

But stronghold is for application to the cat/dog, and will have no direct action on life stages in the environment. Did you mean Staykill for the house?

To clear things up -

Environmental sprays - Staykill, Indorex, Flea Ban, and a host of others

Frontline - Use this if you just want flea/tick/lice control, its the cheapest per month, even cheaper with the spray (though is prescription only in spray)

Frontline Combo - Use this for animal and environmental protection of fleas, and tick/lice control on the animal. (prescription only)

All varieties of frontline allow bathing/swimming 48hours after application without diminishing effectiveness - active ingredients bind to the hair and cannot be washed off. This is why it lasts up to 2 months in dogs, that is the hair-turnover time. Only lasts 5 weeks in cats as hair turnover time is shorter. Only clipping the hair off will necessitate re-application sooner than stated.

Stronghold - Systemic, i.e. does not stay on the coat, so bathing makes no difference after the spot-on has dried, it is absorbed through the skin and treats the whole body via the bloodstream. Use if there are worms (not tapes), ear mites, or mange in addition to fleas. Makes no claim against demodex but does work.

Advocate - 2 drugs, one stays on the skin and will be washed off (the bit that treats fleas), one is absorbed like stronghold and kills everything else. Frontline binds to hair, the imidacloprid part which kills fleas and stays externally will not and can be washed off with thorough bathing. Not recommended if bathing soon after, use stronghold instead.

Flea treatments - clear as mud eh?