I've lost my dog, but thanks to his microchip he's now been found!!!

How does this microchip thingy work? He was microchipped when I got him as a rescue dog. Surely if the pound or some other rescue place get hold of him then they'll scan him, my details come up and they make contact with me, or is it more complicated than that?
That's a tough one, but the best answer is probably to ring the chip company and check all your details are up to date, give them a current mobile number, and hound every agency listed on the sticky at the top of the group

if *and I hope to god this hasn't happened* he's been run over, it's the cleansing department who deal with it, but they are not currently legally obliged to scan for a chip. If he was run over on the M1 the highways department would be obliged to scan, but on local roads this isn't the case :loopy::rant:

Have you got pics for us yet Buffy?

If you don't like the doglost posters do your own and get them out everywhere!

many people are reluctant to hand a dog into the pound as they know there's a risk of destruction if not claimed, or they just don't know the system to take them in and look after them, waiting for somebody to come looking

Here are pics

Jack 1

Jack 2

I've contacted the Kennel Club who I'm a member of so all agencies will have been emailed to inform them about his disappearance.

Hi Im sorry to hear about Jack going missing. I hope he is found soon.

It may be worth ringing the emergency vets at attercliffe just in case he has been injured and taken there. The number is 0114 2421929, but if he has been taken there they should have scanned him anyway for a chip.

Good luck!!!

How does this microchip thingy work? He was microchipped when I got him as a rescue dog. Surely if the pound or some other rescue place get hold of him then they'll scan him, my details come up and they make contact with me, or is it more complicated than that?

Its not complicated at all but that depends on who he is registered to. Contact the rescue and ask them if their dogs are registered to them, or to the new owner, as the chip company will contact whichever details they have.

Another question...if a dog has been injured and found. Where would he likely to be taken?
If a dog is found injured then most people would take him to a vet. Vets usually ask the finder if they are prepared to take the dog on and cough up the bill. If the answer is no then the vet will only give immediate pain relief and then pass onto a rescue or council, who will agree to take on the responsibilty. Vets usually have a chosen rescue who they use.

Is Jack friendly and approachable? (just in case anyone spots him).

Is Jack friendly and approachable? (just in case anyone spots him).

Oh yes, very friendly, but being a Doberman cross he can look a bit scary, but he's soft as a brush.

Hi Im sorry to hear about Jack going missing. I hope he is found soon.

It may be worth ringing the emergency vets at attercliffe just in case he has been injured and taken there. The number is 0114 2421929, but if he has been taken there they should have scanned him anyway for a chip.

Good luck!!!

Thanks, I rang them, they've taken the details and put him on their system in case he shows up.

I've also emailed Streetforce in case they pick him up....in whatever condition he may be in.:(

I'll keep my fingers crossed he comes back safe n well CR.x.

Take a look at this

I'm most distressed by the comment that you could ring the local pound and they don't go and look. Is it OK to just turn up there to look? It says on the Council website you have to make an appointment. What if he's there! What if they think they can rehome him and make some money out of it so don't want to say he's there!! Worried now, very!

CR that is in USA. That wont happen here.