Respect for a policeman who died today in an RTA 24/10/2008

Sad news. Our thoughts are with the family and all involved.

Specifically to all Bikers

I've emailed Richard Wilson at South yorks police with regards to Bikers showing their respects at the funeral (subject to the agreement of the family of course)

I'll keep you all informed as to his response.

It's not Richard Wells, it's Medridd Hughes, but sure you'll get a response, whoever the message got to.

No doubt with him being a True biker, there will be some sort of allowance for us to pay our respects. Top cop and decent all round bloke.

R.I.P babe, I'm pretty certain he'd would have made a silly comment about all this...he had such a wicked sense of humour.

Heavenlyarts is right, Pudding. Mr Wilson is Chief Superintendent for Glens department.

Heavenlyarts is right, Pudding. Mr Wilson is Chief Superintendent for Glens department.

Thanks for that....It's been a long time, I'm sure he'll let us all know if he hears anything. We really do want to pay our respects if they will allow.

No details as yet, whether its a private funeral or otherwise.

I'm proud to have worked along side you mate, our thoughts go out to your loved ones, your smile will be missed............ but never forgotten.

Just to let you know a post will be on very soon regarding the arrangements of Glen’s funeral which will be held next Tuesday.

The funeral of PC 1024 Glen Howe will take place at 2pm on Tuesday 4th November 2008 at St John's Church, Manchester Road, Deepcar, Sheffield. This will be followed by interment at Grenoside Crematorium North Chapel at around 2:45pm.

The family request that any motorcyclist who wishes to pay their last respects to Glen does so by lining the route of the courtage as it travels from Deepcar to Grenoside crematorium, rather than travelling alongside the procession.

The route will be; Manchester Road (Deepcar), left onto A6102 Wortley Road to A616. A616 to A629. A629 to A61 at the Crown garage. A61 to Saltbox Lane. Saltbox Lane to the crematorium.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Family statement for PC Glen Howe from his wife Linda and children Donna and Jason:

“Firstly, we would like to thank South Yorkshire Police, especially the family liaison officers, for all their support through this difficult time.

“We didn’t quite realise how well known Glen was to the public. Reading all the comments and messages people have left brought tears to our eyes knowing how much he will be missed.

“Glen was our rock, he protected us from the bad things in life. He was also a very good cop who loved his job immensely. He always said, ‘What more could I want? I have my family and my biggest passion - riding motorbikes - while getting paid for it. Perfect!’

“When he said family, we often wondered, 'which family'? Us or the police? But we know deep down in our hearts he loved us all.

“Glen didn’t have many hobbies as he spent most of his spare time washing and polishing his own motorbike and car which were his pride and joy.

“Glen loved going on family holidays and also used to enjoy travelling around Europe with his biking association.

“Not only was he a husband and dad, he was our best friend. Our hearts will always be broken but the memories will last forever.

“God Bless.”

I'm a biker, and the daughter of a retired Bobby, and was greatly saddened by the loss of another Police Officer. A proud and honourable profession.

My sincerest condolences to Glen's family, friends and colleagues.

Blessed Be xxx