Phillimore Road School, Darnall

Did anyone attend Phillimore Road School in the early to mid 70's? Can you remember having to stand up whenever the headmaster came into the classroom? And those horrible rubber swimming hats you had to wear for swimming lessons at Upperthorpe baths (I think that was girls only)? If you didn't have one you couldn't go!

Hello Glady's. i was there in 72 - 73 and we had mixed swimming lessons at

Attercliffe Baths. Yes i also remember those rubber swimming caps, they were awful lol.

I also remember a few of the teachers from the junior department;

Mrs Mathumen, mrs Shilitoe, miss Saul, mrs Parkin, mr Failkner, mrs Hill, mr Arnold, there was a part timer called mrs Beader who originally took my mother at CARBROOK BOARD SCHOOL. and mr Edwards the head.

Do any of you who went to Phillimore also remember these teachers .

i remember a few bluebird, Mrs Parkin sticks out the most, she used to slap ur arm with the ruler if u got caught chatting :mad:

And i remember the swimming lessons at Attercliffe baths. At one time i more or less lived there as my best friends mum worked there so we used to go lots, cos we got in free I also remember the ghost story's about that place :rolleyes:

Hello Glady's. i was there in 72 - 73 and we had mixed swimming lessons at

Attercliffe Baths. Yes i also remember those rubber swimming caps, they were awful lol.

I also remember a few of the teachers from the junior department;

Mrs Mathumen, mrs Shilitoe, miss Saul, mrs Parkin, mr Failkner, mrs Hill, mr Arnold, there was a part timer called mrs Beader who originally took my mother at CARBROOK BOARD SCHOOL. and mr Edwards the head.

Do any of you who went to Phillimore also remember these teachers .

I remember all thoose teachers- i went in 72/73. I also remember attercliffe

swimming baths more from being at Parkhouse- on the way home used to

run under the dark little bridge but the boys used to hide in there and we would hit them with our swimming bags and run:hihi: - remember the greek

guy who took swimming there?- he had a long stick when you did your

distance he used to poke you if he saw your feet touch the bottom- it

worked:loopy: think he was called Mr Merota (not right spelling)

Hya, yes i do, didn't Tracy Rawson have a big part in that.

The name Tracet Rawson rings a bell, but cant put a face to the name. Were u in that play Bluebird ? i was one of the barber shop quartet, and the actobats :gag: lol was fun to do tho and if u remember who the

pearly queen was then u will no who i am :D

Fab memories, I remember

-the staff room where Mrs Parkin taught us to eat with knives and forks in the 'correct' hand, never mind if you were right or left handed.

-Good old days was fab, still know the songs (I'm 39 this year).

-Walking home unsupervised from swimming, for our weekly meeting with the Attercliffe flasher, past the factories etc - wouldn't happen now.

- Mr Staminore's wife dying

- Residential to ? Hall?

- the wind sensation on your ear, as the board rubber just missed you head

were u in that play shrek ?

Yes vaguely remember dressing as a yellow bird? What was that about?

Also remember make up in dining hall through from hall where we had assembly?

Yes vaguely remember dressing as a yellow bird? What was that about?

Also remember make up in dining hall through from hall where we had assembly?

god no's

A yellow bird ? r u sure hun?

can't think of heads name either- who's class were you in?

Do you remember Miss Shillitoe?- used to do Poetry with

her

I was there from about 54 to 58. Mr Bailey was the headteacher, he took us for music. I lived in Uttley Street.

I think the Lister family was quite a large family maybe 9 to 11 chidren (vague). I'm of mixed origin and Christine Lister, god bless her, was the first person I can actually remember bringing it to my attention. I'm really quite pale, I've been described as anemic on bad days, not that that matters, but Christine enjoyed calling me 'blackie' very confusing for a small person who knew it was literally incorrect. I have to admit as a consequence I had a great dislike for all types Ginger after that, but got over that when I actually had to mix and work with Gingers!! We're all human regardless of colour, the rest really doesn't matter to me. Any way back to Chistine, I eventually built up enough courage to stand up to Christine and would eventually shout her down, amazing how quickly you can pick up bad behaviour. No grudges held, hope you faired well Christine if you're out there. We used to live on Fitzmaurice Road, a long road of terraced housing with outside toilets in the back yards, Shops at both ends of the street. I think Flo's was one of them, her husband either had one arm or leg, war casualty, there was a similar shop across the road but run by a man, he would accept any coupons from promotions as long as he stocked the goods and we could trade off the coupons for sweets. At the other end of the street there was a cafe, Dyfella's (or similar) lovely man, his wife was a great knitter, she could knit without watching her needles!! I remember a boy called Albert, again from a largish family, remember my dad carting him off to the hospital with Appendicitis in the back of his van. Jubilee Road ran parallel to fitzmaurice but I think they actually had gardens instead of yards? Really vague memories of a hard place. Cold winters, smog, no greenery.

My Mum lived on Jubilee Rd. I remember visiting my Grandad and walking up the "yard" to the outside toilet. I also remember the tin bath infront of the fire. Sadly, both my Mum "Alma" and her sister Doreen have passed away.Their maiden name was " Peverly". They would have both been in their 70's now, but if anyone does remember them I would be interested to know :).

i went the school mid 60s and lived on plowman street no 49 on one side of us was florrie dixon tony dixon was in our class on the other side was mrs flint and alfie rita pickering lived across the road as did my aunt and uncle Lilly and Ernest Robinson with my cousins keith david gary hazel and christine.I have some happy memories of the school and some horrid ones which i can laugh about now mr arnold always played with his false tooth and had a huge stash of different thickness canes which he often used on the lads on our last day there(our house was being demolished) my brother kicked the teacher whilst lining up for dinner the whole school cheered as he was chased down the long corridor he never got his dinner that day and we moved that afternoon wonder if the present school still has jerusalem as its school song

Edited by nan98
my father informed me i had ritas name wrong it was her sister who became a lister rita married a lad called david booth