Phillimore Road School, Darnall

Hi..i went to philamore road school left in 1960 due to rehousing , i live on Ranskill road

I lived on Ranskill Rd what is your name mine is Jones

---------- Post added 16-01-2014 at 17:22 ----------

Mr Edwards was the Head at that time, a lovely olddish man who would tell the class stories.

It was not mr Arnold who used to throw the blackboard rubber at you it was mr falkner, he was always known to to do this. if he thought you were talking then the next thing you would see was the rubber coming past you at speed lol, Both mr Arnold and mr Falkner were both 4th year teachers. i was in mr Arnold's class.

I was in Mr Arnold class in 1954 I did not think it was him who threw the rubber. He was very stern teacher .I was ok because I played in the football and rugby team

OMG i went to Phillimore school and was in Miss Parkins class, (i was born in '66) I remember the Listers, i remember my mum talking about Carol Olive (not sure if they were friends) My mum Joan Cutforth grew up on Fitzmaurice Rd. My dad is Colin Newall. My mum ended up meeting & marrying a scottish bloke from Edinburgh called Robert Murray(i dont have contact with any of them)!! & we lived on Omdurman Street across Rd from the Cain family (Vaughan Cain, Jacqueline Cain etc).

Our toilet was in the next door but ones yard & our tin bath was hung outside the back door, it was a 2 up 2 down house with a cellar..very depressing bleak times.

Is there anyone out there who knows any of the above people mentioned? Love to hear your stories :)

---------- Post added 19-09-2013 at 22:20 ----------

I wonder if we were in the same class i remember the Listers..my mum is from Fitzmaurice Rd

I was a frtiend of Vicky Cain and used to go out with her cousin Steve Gervase. I also knew Michael Vaughan. Do you remember Angela Siddall she was my sisters best friend. We lived on Clement Street. I was also a childhood friend of Doreen Casson and went on to work with her at Freemans Mail Order. I remember to the Marples family and the Oldfields do you?

Edited by Jonmatt
spelling

My name is Dave Newton and I was in Mr phillips class when I left in 1959. At phillimore I was also in her class and Arnolds as well, she was a plump lady I remember and arnold was strict and he would throw things at you if you misbehaved.

Hi Dave .

Mine name is Roger Jones left Christmas 1958 your name rings a bell .A few years ago now Ray Burnham celebrated a birthday and Good few of his old class mates went also Mr Phillips he did not look any different but what relay amazed me we hall called him Sir even Keith Hancox

Hya, yes i do, didn't Tracy Rawson have a big part in that.

Hi. I am she I remember the play

I have a first cousin Robert Murray on my mothers side, also from Edinburgh. He came to live with us on Fitzmaurice Road in the late 60's. We lost touch with him in the mid 70's. Robert had a sister who emigrated to Australia in the 70's. I remember his young wife being very attractive, Lulu like with freckles?? (odd what we remember). Does this sound familiar to you? and no, I don't think we would have been at school at the same time, I was born in 1960.

Hi, this sounds very much like the same man, he was from a place called Leith in Edinburgh, before he came to live with his aunt in the mid 60's. Apparently he had a son and a daughter when he was in Edinburgh. He met my mum in '67..they married a year later. We lived on Omdurman Street, then moved to Woodhouse in '74. Yes my mum had freckles and she was very attractive when younger. His sister Ann moved to Norwich eventually but passed away about 30 odd yrs ago.

Does anyone remember Gordon Lindley who lived opposite the school. I think he may have then gone on to Coleridge Road?

Hi, this sounds very much like the same man, he was from a place called Leith in Edinburgh, before he came to live with his aunt in the mid 60's. Apparently he had a son and a daughter when he was in Edinburgh. He met my mum in '67..they married a year later. We lived on Omdurman Street, then moved to Woodhouse in '74. Yes my mum had freckles and she was very attractive when younger. His sister Ann moved to Norwich eventually but passed away about 30 odd yrs ago.
I wonder if he is a relative of yours?

I was at phillimore from1950 to 1954 and then I went to coleridge rd. until 1959 I left and went to work at Kayser Ellison s on Carlisle st..

must have been in my class as i was there in them years

---------- Post added 13-01-2017 at 17:40 ----------

My name is Dave Newton and I was in Mr phillips class when I left in 1959. At phillimore I was also in her class and Arnolds as well, she was a plump lady I remember and arnold was strict and he would throw things at you if you misbehaved.

i dave i was your class too

I have a first cousin Robert Murray on my mothers side, also from Edinburgh. He came to live with us on Fitzmaurice Road in the late 60's. We lost touch with him in the mid 70's. Robert had a sister who emigrated to Australia in the 70's. I remember his young wife being very attractive, Lulu like with freckles?? (odd what we remember). Does this sound familiar to you? and no, I don't think we would have been at school at the same time, I was born in 1960.

Hi, this very much sounds like the same man you described, my mum was very pretty petite freckled young woman. Was his sister called Fiona by any chance. I recall my mum saying that when she met him he was staying with an aunt on Fitzmaurice Rd, that's when they met and then ended up getting a house on Omdurman St, followed by 3 kids and a move to Woodhouse in '74, where they still live. He was/is an acoholic and was a violent bully. :|

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 21:35 ----------

I remember knitting in class, I actually enjoyed it. I also remember the class standing around Mrs Parkins desk each reading a sentence from a book, and if you read a word wrong she rapped you on the finger with a ball point heavy Parker type pen which bloody hurt. I als remember the playtime bell hitting me on the head when I ran up to the teacher ringing it which caused me to have a good gash on the top of my head. I remember the toilets being outside in the playground, they were ever so cold.

There was a family of Listers that lived next door to me on Omdurman St, I think a couple of them especially the parents were deaf and dumb, they used to babysit for us on occasions, I remember them having bricks thrown thru their window, not sure why. I also remember the Driver family next door but one to us and they had a son called Shane around the same age as me.

Any one go to philimore park school? Who was your best teacher back in the day?

Hello.  Darnall  Lad , 

I attendended Phillimore Junior school from  1972, , I was put into miss Saul’s class which was 3rd year ,  

The following year I moved up to the 4th year which was Mr Arnold’s class.

The  head teacher  was Mr Edwards  at  that time , 

other teachers I remember are  Mrs Hill,     Mr Faulkner ,   Mrs. Parkin,   Mrs Mathumen,  ( I think I spelled that correctly ) ,

Mr Pleasance  ,    Miss  Shillitoe. And of course Miss Saul. 

‘’My best Teachers were  Mr Arnold and. Mr Edwards  the head