Dusty Springfield in Sheffield

Can anyone recall ever seen the singer Dusty Springfield

perform in Sheffield or anywhere for that matter.

I think Dusty was the first artist to appear at

the Cavendish Club on Bank St. (Later to be re-named Baileys).

The club opened in May 1967 by the way.

She may well have appeared at the City Hall sometime

in the sixties ?

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks Chris

I saw Roger Whittaker at the Cav. There was about 13 people there in total. It was embarassing.

My older brother Jeff went to see Dusty in the early 60's. He says that she winked at some lad sat near him and and fight broke out because there was an argument amongst a bunch of them as to who she winked at.

Little did they know that she was the other way and winked at the lass sat with them. :hihi:

I remember seeing Dusty Springfield at the City Hall in the early 60's but 'fraid I can't be more specific. I also saw Kathy Kirby and I guess both Lulu and Cilla Black came.

I remember attending Freddie & The Dreamers, The Searchers, Dave Clark V and the Rolling Stones. I think the Four Pennies played and although I missed the Beatles, they were on a very extensive list of artistes. Trini Lopez, Bobby Vee and Big Dee Irwin were there at some time and possibly The Supremes? Most of them stayed at the Grand Hotel on Balm Green - so it was out of the back door into the Grand!

I saw Alan Price and The Animals play at the Cavendish and Bob Monkhouse was a big favourite there.

I recall Susan Maughan coming to the Oval Hall some 40+ years ago.

Can anyone recall ever seen the singer Dusty Springfield

perform in Sheffield or anywhere for that matter.

I think Dusty was the first artist to appear at

the Cavendish Club on Bank St. (Later to be re-named Baileys).

The club opened in May 1967 by the way.

She may well have appeared at the City Hall sometime

in the sixties ?

Any info would be welcome.

Thanks Chris

I can assure you that dusty springfield was never on at the cavendish not ever

and the first week it opened it was headlined by max byraves who stated to the press the following day that " sheffield was not ready for nightclubs" and from that day on he never appeared in sheffield again. and he never even completed the booking for the rest of the week.

and the first week it opened it was headlined by max byraves who stated to the press the following day that " sheffield was not ready for nightclubs" and from that day on he never appeared in sheffield again. and he never even completed the booking for the rest of the week.

What 'artistes' like Max Bygraves and Norman (swingin/dodgy)Vaughn could not grasp was the fact that we northerners, unlike southern audiences, weren't prepared to clap and cheer mediocrity. Its simple, if they were any good they would have gone down well, if they were rubbish they died on their ass.

Dusty Springfield, I believe played the Fiesta and whilst in Sheffield stayed at Holdsworth Cottage on Houldsworth Lane near Loxley.

What 'artistes' like Max Bygraves and Norman (swingin/dodgy)Vaughn could not grasp was the fact that we northerners, unlike southern audiences, weren't prepared to clap and cheer mediocrity. Its simple, if they were any good they would have gone down well, if they were rubbish they died on their ass.

Dusty Springfield, I believe played the Fiesta and whilst in Sheffield stayed at Holdsworth Cottage on Houldsworth Lane near Loxley.

Surprised you mentioned Norman Vaughan; he was a Liverpudlian?

Surprised you mentioned Norman Vaughan; he was a Liverpudlian?

Yes I know, but really made his name in the south notably Sunday night at the London Palladium. However, he came up to Rotherham to do a show at the club on Wortley Rd ( name of which escapes me). He completely died on his backside, ending his 'spot' early saying, '' If that doesn't make you laugh, then bo##**ks'' and walked off.

These so called 'stars' came here thinking they were going to show us something special. We already had far superior comics doing the WMC's and people had seen it all before. Funnier.

He was the rudest celeb I ever met. All that so called friendly attitude of his - bull droppings.

Swinging...

Although obviously 'Dodgy' - a good cue. The Swinging Blue Jeans played at The City Hall. I seem to recall Cilla Black being on the same programme as Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas (which probably made sense) but that is as undated as my Dusty Springfield memory?

Went to see Dusty at the city hall in the 6o's also met her in person a few time's when they were the Sprinfields. They used to call to relatives of there's that lived on Baltic road Attercliffe.