Benefits System, I have an idea....

my partner worked all her life until she had a serious stroke aged 36. she still wants to go out and work even though she cant as she is very disabled-then we have idle lay abouts that have no intention of working and are happy for us tax payers to keep them .

Benefits are a good thing for genuine claiments , but we all know some people prefer them to working for a living.

Hundreds of people arrive in this country and find work within a couple of weeks.

i was talking about our home grown lay abouts -ive nothing against people coming from another country and working here-they put some of our lot to shame

Lots of people arrive in this country and find work within a few weeks - why can't the long term find work . Perhaps they find benefits more suitable for their life style.

hey mate, if you ever find yourself out of work, like you said there are loads of jobs, jobs that pay rubbish wages ( many below the minimum wage ) and you could get yourself a job within a day.

problem is, when your paid less than the min wage its sometimes hard to be able to afford to go to work (paying the bus fare etc...)

i was talking about our home grown lay abouts -ive nothing against people coming from another country and working here-they put some of our lot to shame

they do mate, what a work ethic.

Half a dozen to a room which brings down the cost of rent etc.... and with people earning bugger all means I can get services at a knock down price.

While were at it, why bother paying people at all, if people were slaves it would bring down the costs even more. :thumbsup:

I agree MR BENN.

"some people look upone benifits as a way of life" Who? at least back up your claim with some examples. and of course they look at it that way IF they Are actually on benifits.

it is a well known fact that children born into a family where the parents don't work and benefits are a way of life, will then go on to expect benefits themselves, rather than getting an education and trying to aim for the best paid job they can (phew..that was a long sentence :))

what just in Sheffield or in general i bet this thread as never been done before :rolleyes:

it is a real issue in this country and needs to be discussed and solutions found.....unless you have the solution quicken? :)

Guest sibon
By 'choosing ' to live on benefits they are stealing from my pocket. Have you ever heard of ' income tax' or maybe even payed it?

By living on benefits, they are accepting a level of income far below anyone who has paid income tax. They aren't stealing from your pocket, they are legitimately claiming a benefit set by a democratically elected Government.

If you don't like paying income tax, move to Hong Kong.

If you are really bothered about who is stealing from your pocket, try googling "super rich tax avoidance"... I think you will find some pretty unpleasant info there... but it is much easier to castigate "benefit scroungers" than the anti-social, tax avoiding, ultra rich.

If you are really bothered about who is stealing from your pocket, try googling "super rich tax avoidance"... I think you will find some pretty unpleasant info there... but it is much easier to castigate "benefit scroungers" than the anti-social tax avoiding ultra rich.

i agree with both you and clifflad, sibon. i think we have people claiming benefits in this country when they could work if they had the right carrot/stick approach for their circumstances.

i also find it hard to stomach the kind of incomes that the big city bosses make....especially as our present circumstances are partly because of that culture.

but we do tax the rich more in this country than anywhere else in the world, so increasing their taxes further?

not sure what the solution to that one is

it is a well known fact that children born into a family where the parents don't work and benefits are a way of life, will then go on to expect benefits themselves, rather than getting an education and trying to aim for the best paid job they can (phew..that was a long sentence :))

how dare you make that assumption! my parents spent many years on benefits when i was growing up! i am now 31, i own 2 houses outright and i am an area manager for a large firm. enough said!!!!!

Guest sibon
i agree with both you and clifflad, sibon. i think we have people claiming benefits in this country when they could work if they had the right carrot/stick approach for their circumstances.

i also find it hard to stomach the kind of incomes that the big city bosses make....especially as our present circumstances are partly because of that culture.

but we do tax the rich more in this country than anywhere else in the world, so increasing their taxes further?

not sure what the solution to that one is

You've missed my point a bit. I would like to see the long term unemployed encouraged to play a more useful role in society, but I'm more affronted that we have a tax system that allows people who earn vast amounts of money to get away with paying virtually no tax. At the risk of sounding like Rich... it is a "Daily Mail" problem. Our media and therefore some our our more "thinkingly challenged citizens" are quick to jump on the unemployed and label them as scroungers... yet hardly anyone criticises the super rich with their complex tax avoidance strategies. In my opinion, those who have should pay their share... many do, some don't... and very few seem to care. However, if you are a single mum claiming benefit, then you are fair game for the likes of Clifflad.