What is the best desktop for my kids

I've got a 7 year old who wants a computer for Christmas - he will only be using it to surf the web and play games downloaded from the web. Any suggestions as to a good budget desktop computer - budget maybe £250 to £300

If you're not a computer engineer and able to assemble a computer in 30 seconds flat eyes closed then go for an assembled computer a-la-PC World (I cannot believe I'm advising someone to go there!).

Some of the computer shops on London Road have student 'Internet ready' computers which could well fit in your budget. They're not gaming computers, just design to run Office, Internet browser fine.

A word of warning, them games downloaded from the web... Nests of viruses. (Big fish games and the likes)

I don't think giving a 7 year old a laptop is a good idea. They're not the most robust of items and a damaged part can set you back a fair whack for a repair.

OOps, I couldn’t remember the name and the apple site was being very annoying at the time so I jumped on the one that looked right, but thanks, I meant to say a Mac Mini.

A Cheap alternative could be the new Asus EEE box, retailing for around £200. it looks like the ideal simple computer for young children

A Cheap alternative could be the new Asus EEE box, retailing for around £200. it looks like the ideal simple computer for young children

I would second this. The linux desktop is very very simple to use and as it's a steady state machine, there are no moving parts and so it is quite robust. It has a few games and is great for surfing which is what i mainly use it for.

I have an Asus eee 900. :thumbsup: