Are some people unemployable through no fault of their own.

I suppose so but bear in mind some of the barely sentient simpletons who you see pushing trolleys round B&Q carpark and you get some idea of the level of functionality required for the simplest of menial tasks. There are a lot of people who could work but for every one of them (and I can't say how pleased it makes me to see them gainfully employed) there are 30 who'd rather sit on their backsides claiming Billybobthornton syndrome*

Quite a lot of it is that folk just don't fancy a 40 hour week ..... Amazing that they can summon the smarts to fill out the myriad claim forms for the weekly free money.

*No actual side effects other than an aversion to work.

Guess who?:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I think you're right, Halibut! :thumbsup:

Doesn't take much working out, does it? :P

StarSparkle

there is no such thing as an unemployable person :)

I'm sorry, Solomon, but that's simply not true

StarSparkle

I sometimes believe that some people will never ever be able to get a job through no fault of their own, some people are simply hampered with bad luck and never get any openings in life.

Some may get a degree, be honest and still its not enough.

I once witness a time when a number of staff had to be made redundant, and strangely, it was the hardest working members of staff that were re-deployed/made redundant. The ones who skived/surfed the internet/threw sick were rewarded with full time jobs. (this was local authority)

I often see threads from people on SF who are unemployed and are unable to gain proper employment be ripped to shreads by others who post

Yes, and YOU have done the aforementioned ripping to shreads to ME in the past... You know I'm right.

I suppose so but bear in mind some of the barely sentient simpletons who you see pushing trolleys round B&Q carpark and you get some idea of the level of functionality required for the simplest of menial tasks. There are a lot of people who could work but for every one of them (and I can't say how pleased it makes me to see them gainfully employed) there are 30 who'd rather sit on their backsides claiming Billybobthornton syndrome*

Quite a lot of it is that folk just don't fancy a 40 hour week ..... Amazing that they can summon the smarts to fill out the myriad claim forms for the weekly free money.

*No actual side effects other than an aversion to work.

Yes, the selfish greedy fascist employers, who for some inexplicable reason don't want to be driven out of business by having to pay unskilled an low-skilled workers far more than they are worth.

Funny old thing.

it always amazes me on here the ignorance, selfishness and sheer blis of living in a purely black and white world some people seem to live in / believe in.

1: so you dont get intelligent people doing "simpleton" jobs like pushing trolleys?

2: even low skilled people still live in the same world, still pay the same bills, still eat the same food, and struggle to survive (and thats why some people stay on the dole...cos they actually make more)

talking about employers, i may have only been in mine not quite 4 years but in that time ive learnt quite a lot, some of the things i do are

(making sure qualitys correct, inspecting, solving problems, training noobies, filling in paperwork, ordering stuff, supervising, getting orders out on time, its highly stressful, technical, dangerous, uncomfortable) im not trying to blow my own horn but does that sound like minimum wage type stuff? just for doing the CNC stuff in other places you can get between £8 and £30 an hour

it always amazes me on here the ignorance, selfishness and sheer blis of living in a purely black and white world some people seem to live in / believe in.

1: so you dont get intelligent people doing "simpleton" jobs like pushing trolleys?

2: even low skilled people still live in the same world, still pay the same bills, still eat the same food, and struggle to survive (and thats why some people stay on the dole...cos they actually make more)

talking about employers, i may have only been in mine not quite 4 years but in that time ive learnt quite a lot, some of the things i do are

(making sure qualitys correct, inspecting, solving problems, training noobies, filling in paperwork, ordering stuff, supervising, getting orders out on time, its highly stressful, technical, dangerous, uncomfortable) im not trying to blow my own horn but does that sound like minimum wage type stuff? just for doing the CNC stuff in other places you can get between £8 and £30 an hour

It sounds like you do a lot (for minumum wage?), but did you need any special skills or qualifications for your job?

In that case, how is that a bloke like me, who's done nothing but voluntary work for almost every Charity in Sheffield over the last 18 years, can't even get a look in on the jobs market?

Hi Rich, yes, it's me again, with the long memory! If you'd like, I'll have a trawl back through old posts to find the thread wherein someone threw down the gauntlet to you to offer to find you a job within a week. If memory serves correct, you said that you couldn't work full time because of your other commitments etc etc.

Now, there's nothing to say that he'd have been able to find you anything suitable. However, you didn't give him the chance. From memory, you vanished from the thread.

I don't doubt at all that you find it hard to find employment suitable for someone of your very evident abilities and limitations. However, had you risen to the challenge and had he failed, you'd now have a very strong case to lament your situation.

As it is, IMO your comments re your unemployed status always ring false.

It sounds like you do a lot (for minumum wage?), but did you need any special skills or qualifications for your job?

not really, after 18 years on the dole and a few computer qualifications....which i barely use everything elses completely alien to me, never even worked in a factory before, just seem to have clicked and moved up the ladder......pity the money doesnt follow you up the ladder too :(

and yes i do feel shafted, and am looking elsewhere but......it took 18 years to get that one so might not be that easy

anyway my point is that just because somebody gets a low wage DOESNT always mean they deserve a low wage or do work that means they should have a low wage

Hi Rich, yes, it's me again, with the long memory! If you'd like, I'll have a trawl back through old posts to find the thread wherein someone threw down the gauntlet to you to offer to find you a job within a week. If memory serves correct, you said that you couldn't work full time because of your other commitments etc etc.

Now, there's nothing to say that he'd have been able to find you anything suitable. However, you didn't give him the chance. From memory, you vanished from the thread.

I don't doubt at all that you find it hard to find employment suitable for someone of your very evident abilities and limitations. However, had you risen to the challenge and had he failed, you'd now have a very strong case to lament your situation.

As it is, IMO your comments re your unemployed status always ring false.

verrry interesting. I too remember that thread.

not really, after 18 years on the dole and a few computer qualifications....which i barely use everything elses completely alien to me, never even worked in a factory before, just seem to have clicked and moved up the ladder......pity the money doesnt follow you up the ladder too :(

and yes i do feel shafted, and am looking elsewhere but......it took 18 years to get that one so might not be that easy

There's a link between punks and the dole....

Yes, the selfish greedy fascist employers, who for some inexplicable reason don't want to be driven out of business by having to pay unskilled an low-skilled workers far more than they are worth.

Funny old thing.

The same employers who predicted mass lay-offs if a national minimum wage was brought in. When in fact employment rose, not fell.

anyway my point is that just because somebody gets a low wage DOESNT always mean they deserve a low wage or do work that means they should have a low wage

Well, bloody good for you that you made the junp from long-term dole to employment; I hope you feel justifiably proud of doing that, whatever frustrations you may feel with your employer.

If you've moved up since starting with the firm, and have taken on greater responsibility including supervising and training others, then you deserve reward for that. You should be able to demonstrate to another potential employer that you've grown with your current job and are worthy of being taken on in a formal capacity as a supervisor. Find one that agrees with you and offers you a job - then give your current firm the choice of big pay rise or bye bye find another mug, I'm off.

Just don't feel trapped by it - if what you describe is half accurate, you're worth having to more than just this employer.

I agree with your last sentence as well - but I do think that some people don't deserve a good wage.