Are some people unemployable through no fault of their own.

In that case, how is that a bloke like me, who's done nothing but voluntary work for almost every Charity in Sheffield over the last 18 years, can't even get a look in on the jobs market? OK I'm disabled, but it's SUPPOSED to be ILLEGAL to discriminate based on this, and don't even get me started on my low opinion of the DDA in its current form.

And then the likes of my Dad are coming out with statements that I should be content with working for nowt, and living on benefits, cos I get enjoyment out of doing stuff like my current Hospital radio job, which fair enough I do, but I'd much rather be working and getting paid for it, even if I realistically could only do 2, 3 days a week at the most due to my physical limitations from disability.

And like Melthebell says, I too know from experience that these "work schemes" are a waste of time, and are purely designed to shut the Daily Mail readers up by making it look as though the long term unemployed are making at least some modicum of effort to accrue work.

i don't know your situation rich and my statement was aimed at able-bodied folk.

but i don't see why you couldn't be a secretary or summat? database entry and so forth....

have you tried 'access to work' or seen a disability employment advisor or been on a work trial?

forgive me if you've used all these avenues and found them lacking. but you are obviously computer literate and articulate....i would have thought you would have been able to find a job fairly easily. :)

just read through the posts and what I am picking up is that with the exception of a minority who are unfortunately unemployable due to disability / mental illness etc, most people are actually employable. But what is it that is stopping them getting a job. Are we saying that these people should take anything going but they are choosing not to, or are we saying that even when people do apply for every job going they are still unsucessful? My question would be should people be choosey about the jobs they apply for?

My personal view is that most people are employable in one job or another, however it may not be a job they want. If you are desperate enough for a job then you will take it whilst looking for a job which you really do want. It's not about being pushed into something or settleing for second best it's about taking charge of your situation whilst looking for your ideal.

Look lets get straight to the point why certain people don’t take certain jobs.

This may actually shock some of you, but certain low-paid jobs can actually leave you financially worse-off then on the dole. That’s why certain people choose to remain on the dole. Who can blame them, when we go shopping we go far the best deal, so why shouldn’t they go for the best deal.

Yes the Government have created Working Family / Child Tax Credit. But if the middle classes were on Working / Child Tax Credits, the unfairness of the system would be exposed.

I once know a bus driver, whom worked 40 hours a week and received then as called Family Credit. Even though he worked 40 hours a week in a stressful, unthankful job, he still had to stand in the Boot’s chemist along with the unemployed with the same milk tokens for baby milk as the unemployed had. Anyone on a top-up benefit would understand this.

Until the Government comes up with a workable way of making even the most undesirable jobs actually pay more than the dole, then we’ll see people reluctant to take jobs. Who can blame them.

Before any of asks, YES I do work.

And then the likes of my Dad are coming out with statements that I should be content with working for nowt, and living on benefits, cos I get enjoyment out of doing stuff like my current Hospital radio job, which fair enough I do, but I'd much rather be working and getting paid for it, even if I realistically could only do 2, 3 days a week at the most due to my physical limitations from disability.

Your Dad is obviously being too "over-protective" Rich.

Story of your whole life?

I don't mean to be cruel to you in any way. Really I don't, but .... you are well educated, write beautifully in the genres you take an interest in ...... have been severely criticised on SF (by me, unjustly at times, I admit) and had an awful response to your internet "gaming" blogs ..... orchestrated by imbeciles, no doubt ...... but you overcome it, in spite of it all!

That tenacity is worth employing in any business, with the right type of training.

Seek it out! Try it! DO IT!

All the best, lad ..... you are young ...... yer can DO IT!

Look lets get straight to the point why certain people don’t take certain jobs.

This may actually shock some of you, but certain low-paid jobs can actually leave you financially worse-off then on the dole. That’s why certain people choose to remain on the dole. Who can blame them, when we go shopping we go far the best deal, so why shouldn’t they go for the best deal.

Yes the Government have created Working Family / Child Tax Credit. But if the middle classes were on Working / Child Tax Credits, the unfairness of the system would be exposed.

I once know a bus driver, whom worked 40 hours a week and received then as called Family Credit. Even though he worked 40 hours a week in a stressful, unthankful job, he still had to stand in the Boot’s chemist along with the unemployed with the same milk tokens for baby milk as the unemployed had. Anyone on a top-up benefit would understand this.

Until the Government comes up with a workable way of making even the most undesirable jobs actually pay more than the dole, then we’ll see people reluctant to take jobs. Who can blame them.

Before any of asks, YES I do work.

That cant be done

Only way to do it would be to slash the amount of benifit, which amounts to the same thing as what your saying. But you cannot do this as benifits are work out on need and the state gives only the minimum to live a basic lifestyle.

As Im unemployed atm I would say that the Gov has done probably the best thing it could have with the family tax system where they top up earnings to make low paid jobs appealable. You could have some more kind of tax releif but no matter what, low paid jobs are tbh the s**t end of the stick so even if you got more money people will still go for a better job for the same money.

I would not mind getting my benifits topped up some more and work on some government work scheme if they started one up, but then you are putting some other man out of work unless you can invent jobs for people to do.

Give me a shovel and a few bob in my pocket and ill clear ditches and dykes like they used to (probably before water privatisation) . in fact they could sub us all out to the water board who could top up our benifits :D

Unemployed people have mobile phones, TVs, cars, computers, and smoke, drink and go on holiday at taxpayers' expense - that is dreadfully wrong, and should be stopped.

Their benefits should be replaced, totally, by vouchers for food and essentials, and weekly top-ups on their gas and electricity meter cards and their rent and council tax paid at source by the welfare services.

That way, with no spending money to fritter on luxuries, they would soon be wanting work - even if it was cleaning toilets.

Guess who?:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

doesn't quite sound like him tho? :)

probably

I still can't see me ever finding myself in that position though, maybe that's naivety?

Guess who?:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

C'mon, don't hide behind cryptic posts. :)

Have the guts to "name names"!

Or are you in hiding? :rolleyes:

That cant be done

Only way to do it would be to slash the amount of benifit, which amounts to the same thing as what your saying.

Not in the least bit true. Another way to do it would be to raise the minimum wage to the point where working would always make you better off than being on the dole. It would also have the effect that immigrant workers living 6 to a room couldn't massively undercut more established labour. The only people who don't want this are employers, and since the government always defers to them, it doesn't get introduced.

Not in the least bit true. Another way to do it would be to raise the minimum wage to the point where working would always make you better off than being on the dole. It would also have the effect that immigrant workers living 6 to a room couldn't massively undercut more established labour. The only people who don't want this are employers, and since the government always defers to them, it doesn't get introduced.
Yes, the selfish greedy fascist employers, who for some inexplicable reason don't want to be driven out of business by having to pay unskilled an low-skilled workers far more than they are worth.

Funny old thing.

I sometimes believe that some people will never ever be able to get a job through no fault of their own, some people are simply hampered with bad luck and never get any openings in life.

Some may get a degree, be honest and still its not enough.

I once witness a time when a number of staff had to be made redundant, and strangely, it was the hardest working members of staff that were re-deployed/made redundant. The ones who skived/surfed the internet/threw sick were rewarded with full time jobs. (this was local authority)

I often see threads from people on SF who are unemployed and are unable to gain proper employment be ripped to shreads by others who post

Simple answer: "Yes"

StarSparkle