Are some people unemployable through no fault of their own.

I sometimes believe that some people will never ever be able to get a job through no fault of their own, some people are simply hampered with bad luck and never get any openings in life.

Some may get a degree, be honest and still its not enough.

I once witness a time when a number of staff had to be made redundant, and strangely, it was the hardest working members of staff that were re-deployed/made redundant. The ones who skived/surfed the internet/threw sick were rewarded with full time jobs. (this was local authority)

I often see threads from people on SF who are unemployed and are unable to gain proper employment be ripped to shreads by others who post

I sometimes believe that some people will never ever be able to get a job through no fault of their own, some people are simply hampered with bad luck and never get any openings in life

agree to some extent mbd....but generally, these people start to give up, when they should keep trying.....

you hear stories of people who never get openings and are beset with bad luck....and still make a success of their lives (for example, j.k rowling's harry potters books were refused by 7 publishers before she hit it big)

so i agree that some people have the odds stacked against them, through no fault of their own.....

but they give up....instead of addressing the issues involved

there is no such thing as an unemployable person :)

there is no such thing as an unemployable person :)

Solomon, I'll have to introduce you to my 16 year old nephew.

He's got a mental age of 20 months/ 2 yrs. with the best will in the world, there's no way he'd ever be able to hold down a job:- not even in a sheltered workshop like Crown Hill or Adsetts Street.

The most he could hope for would be to receive some care, in a day-centre.

Solomon, I'll have to introduce you to my 16 year old nephew.

ok, i'll clarify pt :)

people who 'feel' that they are unemployable are not....theres all kinds of paid work that they could do.

People don't have to have a disability to be unemployable, some people for whatever reason may be very hardworking and honest, but for whateber reason simply don't fit in anywhere, I personally feel sorry for these people.

some people for whatever reason may be very hardworking and honest, but for whateber reason simply don't fit in anywhere, I personally feel sorry for these people.

i think i know what you're trying to say mbd.....but how much do you need to 'fit in' to be a cleaner or do general office work?

there is no such thing as an unemployable person

just read through the posts and what I am picking up is that with the exception of a minority who are unfortunately unemployable due to disability / mental illness etc, most people are actually employable. But what is it that is stopping them getting a job. Are we saying that these people should take anything going but they are choosing not to, or are we saying that even when people do apply for every job going they are still unsucessful? My question would be should people be choosey about the jobs they apply for?

My personal view is that most people are employable in one job or another, however it may not be a job they want. If you are desperate enough for a job then you will take it whilst looking for a job which you really do want. It's not about being pushed into something or settleing for second best it's about taking charge of your situation whilst looking for your ideal.

I think so, yes. Some people just aren't very bright - that's not a criticism, it's just the way it is. And there will be things they are good at, but those aren't skills and qualities that count in the labour market. There are lots of people who fit that description, so employers can pick and choose which ones to give the basic jobs to - the others get nothing. In times gone by, those people would have worked in fields or done basic jobs on production lines, but those days are gone and employers want an extraordinary amount for their paltry minimum wage.

yes

i couldnt get a job cos i didnt have any work experience, and couldnt get any work experience cos i couldnt get a job. Obviously these "work" schemes arent worth a thing, ive done quite a few but still clased as having no work experience.

even when i signed on at an agency in middlesbrough they said theyd struggle to find me work, and.............................i never heard from them again.

i did manage to find work....part time, locally BUT it was only because the women who run the local village hall gave me a chance (prolly cos i was local) which lead to me applying for a full time job (which im still at) again i didnt get the job i applied for but he gave me a chance, created a position for me.

if it wasnt for those two people giving me a chance (luck?) then i'd prolly still be on the dole and still struggling to find work 5 years on.

ok, i'll clarify pt :)

people who 'feel' that they are unemployable are not....theres all kinds of paid work that they could do.

In that case, how is that a bloke like me, who's done nothing but voluntary work for almost every Charity in Sheffield over the last 18 years, can't even get a look in on the jobs market? OK I'm disabled, but it's SUPPOSED to be ILLEGAL to discriminate based on this, and don't even get me started on my low opinion of the DDA in its current form.

And then the likes of my Dad are coming out with statements that I should be content with working for nowt, and living on benefits, cos I get enjoyment out of doing stuff like my current Hospital radio job, which fair enough I do, but I'd much rather be working and getting paid for it, even if I realistically could only do 2, 3 days a week at the most due to my physical limitations from disability.

And like Melthebell says, I too know from experience that these "work schemes" are a waste of time, and are purely designed to shut the Daily Mail readers up by making it look as though the long term unemployed are making at least some modicum of effort to accrue work.