The Four Tops in Sheffield - Memories

Sad to hear that Levi Stubbs of the Four Tops passed away a few days ago.

What fantastic memories I have of the Tops appearing in Sheffield almost every year from the late sixties into the mid seventies at the City Hall and then the Fiesta.

Levi and the lads struck up many friendships in Sheffield over the years -

Did anyone out there meet them over this period ? Apart from seen them perform about six or seven times I saw them at a Radio Sheffield Saturday

Morning Club at the old Radio Sheffield Shop on Union Street (Roxy Music were also there that morning )

Thanks for the memory

Yes very sad.. remember going to see them at fiesta my sister and i we had to walk home to broomhall, and they was walking to groverner where they was staying we all walked up together.I remember one of them wearing a big gold bracelet. there were loverly .

and i never got there autograph...[silly me ]xx

Their song "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch (I Can't Help Myself)" is generally recognised as being the song that launched Northern Soul. Talking of which, I work with a bunch of Southerners, and they still don't get what Northern Soul was, and maybe still is, all about.

Go Levi - you'll be missed

just listening to them now of you tube .R.I.P.LEVI..X

Yes Jenny - there are some great clips of the Tops on Youtube.

I recall that they even had suits made at a Sheffield Tailors whenever they came over.

Chris

I feel as tho i want to shed a tear.yes chris i believed they did dont no whicht one tho could have been barney goodman? x

Great singer.

Audrey II too.

Jools Holland paid tribute on his BBC2 show last night - he showed a clip of the

Tops singing REACH OUT I'LL BE THERE.

oh i missed it . ill see if i can find it on i player?..x

remember seeing them at fiesta they were brilliant. last saw them at arena about 3 years ago and they a stlll got the whole place up on their feet, RIP levi your music will play on

Yes brilliant..did any go to ELVIS TRIBUTE.. at the arena in 2001?.oh my god magic. full size screen of ELVIS .we didnt no what to expect..but it was brilliant..had a drink in plastic glassers..

took it up to our seats

everyone was dancing as tho he was there.

bought tee shirts .everthing .xxxx loved it

I saw them shopping in Boots! they were all dressed in yellow and the shop assistants were all giddy- a shoplifter could have emptied the store and no-one would have noticed. My girlfriend at the time, got autographs of two of them.