Is the current degree classification no longer fit for purpose?

There has been talk for some time about moving away from the current degree classification system and perhaps adopting the US Grade Point Average one in its place.

Now some universities are piloting the new report card system (although this looks like an enhanced course transcript to me).

Should we drop the Honours classification system?

No, it should just be made more discriminatory to give it meaning again. The indiscriminate handing out of Firsts and 2:1s has devalued them. Perhaps they should be allocated by percentage so the top 5% get a First, next 10% a 2:1 and so on.

Having worked myself to complete exhaustion to achieve my own degree recently, and having attained the highest marks in my degree, whilst happy with achieving a very good first, I think the ability of a number of people to scrape 2:1s having done a modicum of work in the last minute devalues the system for everyone.

The whole concept of grade boundaries does come up time and again in every type of award classification and it probably is one that is difficult to negate. However if when employers considered people for jobs they actually looked at the grade transcripts for students throughout their time at university, it would provide a more accurate picture of how consistent people were and how some worked to achieve better grades whilst others coasted etc etc.

Oh, and the abolition of any kind of assessed group work contributing to final marks would help too. I worked my ass off to carry several people last year and I resent having to do it just for me to retain my good grades.

Rant over.

I find it really annoying that some people cannot drink tea without making an awful slurping noise!

Oh, and the abolition of any kind of assessed group work contributing to final marks would help too. I worked my ass off to carry several people last year and I resent having to do it just for me to retain my good grades.

Rant over.

You have hit the nail right on the head Carrie

I couldn't have put it better myself

I had to work pretty hard for my 2.1., and probably less than 5% of the people on my course got a first.

Didn't feel that the marking was unfair or too lenient, but I guess it varies between courses / universities.

I had to work pretty hard for my 2.1., and probably less than 5% of the people on my course got a first.

Didn't feel that the marking was unfair or too lenient, but I guess it varies between courses / universities.

Well ditto, I got a 2:1, that was more years ago than I care to remember. I think we had 2 with 1sts on my course, a handful of 2:1s, the majority were 2:2s and a few 3rds.

It shouldn't in theory vary too much between universities as that's what the external examiner system is there for, to ensure parity across the system.

Well ditto, I got a 2:1, that was more years ago than I care to remember. I think we had 2 with 1sts on my course, a handful of 2:1s, the majority were 2:2s and a few 3rds.

It shouldn't in theory vary too much between universities as that's what the external examiner system is there for, to ensure parity across the system.

That's how it should be, but the degree system has suffered just as much as GCSEs and A levels over recent years.

Many professional bodies which accepted Ordinary degrees for chartership 25 years ago have been forced - due to dumbing down of degree standards - to raise their entry requirements incrementally over the years, to the point that many now see Masters as the basic requirement.

That's how it should be, but the degree system has suffered just as much as GCSEs and A levels over recent years.

Many professional bodies which accepted Ordinary degrees for chartership 25 years ago have been forced - due to dumbing down of degree standards - to raise their entry requirements incrementally over the years, to the point that many now see Masters as the basic requirement.

Yes, a postgrad qualification is becoming a minumum prerequisite for many professions. I think the Russell Group universities are now devising separate entry exams along the lines of Oxbridge as it's getting harder and harder to distinguish between the 'true' A grade students.

The problem as I see it is that marks are not always an indication of effort. There are people who work their socks off to get a first or 2.I and others who coast and get the same marks.

I don't know whether that's right or wrong, but when I was at school we were marked twice, with grades for effort and grades for attainment - maybe employers would be interested in a system like that?

The problem as I see it is that marks are not always an indication of effort. There are people who work their socks off to get a first or 2.I and others who coast and get the same marks.

I don't know whether that's right or wrong, but when I was at school we were marked twice, with grades for effort and grades for attainment - maybe employers would be interested in a system like that?

Some people have to work much harder to achieve the same as others who can cruise it - that's just a matter of relative ability.