New Product Idea... but how do I get a prototype?

I have an idea which will possibly revolutionise the body armour industry as it is now.

How do I go about getting a prototype made? Are there specific firms that do this?

How do I register my idea so that it is copyrighted?

I'm completely new to this.... help!! :)

You will need to look into getting a patent for the design etc, not copyright.

Depends what is involved as to who can do the proto-type. I would suggest getting an NDA drawn up before you approach anyone for help. try Business Link for guidance on this.

You can't "register your idea so that it is copyrighted". There are ways and means of obtaining registered rights for your idea and prototype, but it's pretty complicated and can't be done 'in abstract' (i.e. without knowing what your idea is).

Do not discuss/disclose anything to anyone with whom priviledge does not apply (= don't talk to anyone except your family doctor or solicitor :hihi: or, better yet, a patent attorney... ;)).

Feel free to PM me a phone number for an informal chat in confidence (free of course), but don't post or PM (me or anyone else) any details of your development in here (or anywhere else on the web, for that matter).

EDIT @ INDIZINE - you can't "get a patent for the design etc. not copyright" (Truth be told, it's well-meaning, but gobbledygook. No offense meant). In future, better advise posters to seek professional advice and leave it at that :thumbsup:

EDIT #2 - after reading the Stickies, I realise it looks as if I may be 'advertising' services. That is not the purpose of my post. The fact of the matter is, it's just about impossible to advise someone about new Intellectual Property on a public internet forum, without voiding the chances of registration: the most that should ever be said publicly is, basically, "seek professional help first, talk to Business Link (or whoever else) next".

EDIT #2 - after reading the Stickies, I realise it looks as if I may be 'advertising' services. That is not the purpose of my post.

Hey, if you've got expertise, share it (up to a point of course :D ) - thats how you build credibility :thumbsup:

Loob - not sure what you were trying to say in your post above, as you quote something I never said. I havent offered any guidance as I am not a patent lawyer so anyone who isnt shouldnt be offering specific help.

I merely noted that it is a patent they need, not copyright, which is something completely different, but likely they are just getting the lingo mixed up.

Speaking to BL does not imply they will part with their idea details - it simply means BL will guide them on how to do it, where to go, etc. and advise if there is funding for this type of thing. when I say funding, not always in cash for capital, but to help with the research, patent registration and so on.

when I say funding.

you need to be very VERY careful you don't start another war.. :)

excuse me? me start another war? pls explain!

I take it you dont have a new material, just a way of marketing it. Such materials are under constant review and closly guarded. I used to work for QinetiQ who tested such materials and their applications.

There was a fashion not so long ago of urban combat style clothing with stab proof panels. Great for drug dealers but a bit clumsy when sitting down or bending over as the panels arent very flexible.

Get hold of some similar components to make a mock-up or model. You dont at this stage have to have a working example just the concept will do.

Do as mentioned before about patent and such. Have a look at http://articles.esources.co.uk/id/117/

Loob - not sure what you were trying to say in your post above, as you quote something I never said.

"look into getting a patent for the design etc, not copyright"

Did I invent that? :huh:

I merely noted that it is a patent they need, not copyright, which is something completely different, but likely they are just getting the lingo mixed up.

As I said - you intentions are well-meaning, but the problem is that, in the process, so are you (getting the lingo mixed up).

Getting a patent on a new development does not exclude copyright protection (in the preparatory material - drawings, descriptions, this-that-the other... hell, even in his or her opening post!).

Getting a patent on a design is unlikely, unless the design has a functional advantage (in which case the patent is about the functional advantage, not the specific or prototyped design).

If the design is purely functional, design protection is precluded.

If it is not "only" functional, then that's an indication of lesser patentability, however the design might be capable of registration (if registration is desired - it will help to obtain external finance, certainly, but noweher near as much as a patent application).

But then again, if funds are tight, the OP can rely on unregistered design right - although reliance on that and disclosure will void any chance of obtaining a patent.

Etc, etc, etc.

Look, I'm not here for an argument, nor to make you look a fool or, generally, p*ss on your shoes.

It's just that IP has specific terminology, procedures and legal aspects, and specific use for the terminology, and the perpetuation or misuse of terminology (especially for people who require advice about it but are clueless about it in the first place) only contributes to make things harder to understand, not simpler.

Hell, I regularly run into BL professional advisers (and from may, many, many other quangos and suchlike) who don't have the first clue about the above, but that's where they should begin (yet don't appear to have the reflex to consult, or refer their clients to, professionals :rolleyes:), because in the days of China-makes-everything-on-plans, IP is all Brit innovators have got, be they Joe Plumber or a HiTech startup.

You are right, I meant patented!

Thanks for the help :)

btw... I'm a she! :D