Pickerings Cardboard Boxes

Hi I am interested to find out anything about Pickerings. My Grandmother and Great Aunt worked there in the 40s. Aunty was a time keeper and Grandma was often late so Aunty would dock her 15 mins. off her wages.

When Grandma left to get married she recieved a lovely letter of thanks for all her years of work there. She worked for them since leaving school in the 20s.

Did you know anyone who worked ther or any history of the firm. I believe it is still making boxes, which says something in this day and age.

I used to be pals with John 'Percy' Pickering (who'll be about 37 now).

Even as a teenager, he could bore the backside off me talking cardboard boxes. I mean, how interesting can the subject get?!

But to be honest, we shared many, many a good drinking sesh.

I worked a long time ago with a nurse who was the daughter of Mr Pickering who owned the cardboard box place. She worked at the Hallamshire part time, but I can't remember her name. She was fun to work with though! That would have been the late seventies. She was married, and when her friend got divorced we bought some furniture from her. They live d up Fulwood somewhere- just wish I could remember her name!!

I wonder if Pickering Road was named after the family, they lived in Vale Road 1870's around the same time Prospect Road was renamed Pickering.

Go drinking regularly with member of family. Believe the family sold it a couple of years ago.

I worked there maybe 20 years ago, only for about 8mths though, as it was temperary.

I believe my aunt Dora was a superviser there.

She also worked at Bells.

My old school chum and her sisters worked there for years, does anyone remember the Burnside sisters, winnie, margaret, lynn and susan.

Val...Val- her name was Val!

Yes, Val is John 'Percy' Pickering's mum. She used to live on Brooklands Crescent in Fulwood. I recall her dashing off to the Hallamshire Hospital to help assist with casualties from the Hillsborough Disaster. I was out boozing with 'Percy' that day who had borrowed his mum's car (and had to return it with haste at the news coming from Hillsborough).

my sister worked there years ago, i think she enjoyed her time there, she knew the burnsides very well and kept in touch after leaving pickerings with Winnie especially, who sadly died a few years ago from breast cancer that was a real tragedy.