Anyone got a netbook?/baby laptop?

Yours is just a normal laptop then isn't it realy ?

No they are a lot smaller and lighter than normal ones. They are called netbooks rather than laptops and are not just for children.

No - not strictly true ...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/12/rh_bg_netbooks/

As Cyclone said - you can get them with up to 160GB hard drives (Advent 4212 and 4213), most have 1GB RAM (not all, but most), most come with a 1.6GHz processor, and most also come with the option to run Windows XP. The one in your link is the eee pc 701 - and that is a glorified web browser. Although it does have a 4GB hard disk (SSD).

I have an asus eee pc 901 (1GB RAM, 1.6GHz processor, 9 inch screen, running linux) for working on the train and it's a fantastic machine. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a portable computer - unless they wanted something to run the latest games! My primary reason for getting one was the size and weight - I had a full-fat laptop but it weighed 3.5 - 4kg and gave me back ache ...

One of my friend's has the acer aspire one running XP and can run MATLAB quite satisfactorily on it, so it would probably manage a lot of older games.

No - not strictly true ...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/12/rh_bg_netbooks/

As Cyclone said - you can get them with up to 160GB hard drives (Advent 4212 and 4213), most have 1GB RAM (not all, but most), most come with a 1.6GHz processor, and most also come with the option to run Windows XP. The one in your link is the eee pc 701 - and that is a glorified web browser. Although it does have a 4GB hard disk (SSD).

Obviously, if you pay more you get more, I assumed the OP was talking about the cheapest ones that they are selling in Toys R Us.

I thought we were tlaking about the £160 ones at Toys R Us ?

You pick one specific model when netbook refers to a whole class of devices with screens ranging from 7" to 10", several different processors and SSD or HDD with capacities between 4 and 160GB.

Then you try to tell me I'm wrong.

It's not strictly true. If you want to argue that point I'd suggest you find out just what range off devices fit in the netbook or SCC category.

You pick one specific model when netbook refers to a whole class of devices with screens ranging from 7" to 10", several different processors and SSD or HDD with capacities between 4 and 160GB.

So what is the difference between a small laptop and a netbook, sounds like the same thing to me.

I agree you're right, it's much less painfull than having you explain in detail why I'm wrong and boring everyone to tears.

To be fair the op did refer to 'baby laptops' which could have been confusing.

So what is the difference between a small laptop and a netbook, sounds like the same thing to me.

I agree you're right, it's much less painfull than having you explain in detail why I'm wrong and boring everyone to tears.

The difference lies in just a few things;

Screen <12" (a 12" screen is a laptop size, sub 12 is netbook).

Price - this overlaps a little, but a small laptop will generally cost >£600 if not a lot more, a netbook will generally cost <£300 although there are a few that are <£400

Processor - at the moment the netbooks all have Atom or Via processors, but I expect to see Atoms cropping up in budget laptops as well in the future.

Sorry if I made you cry. Maybe next time you'll not argue about things you don't fully understand.

Sorry if I made you cry. Maybe next time you'll not argue about things you don't fully understand.

But if I do how will you inflate your ego ?