Motorbike question

To just bring back an old thread (again)

I wrote this a few years back.

I'm looking again at getting something as a run around.

Now when I wrote last time here:

Well, I've just got an updated license, and it's re-appeared!

I was told that the best thing to do is never EVER send your licence back to DVLA for renewal. Hang on to it, and simply apply for a replacement licence as yours has been "lost"

You get a new licence, with an extra ten years validity, with a new picture and if anyhting is missing you can "find" your old licence and use that to take it up with them. There have been many cases of bike entitlements, PCV,LGV entitlements disappearing - I knew someone who had to retake his PCV tests again as the DVLA wouldnt budge and admit they had made a mistake. This despite his employer and previous one both producing photocopies of his licence and supporting paperworks that they held as part of his employment records.

Lookie here for some examples... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?119317-Motorcycle-Entitlement-quot-Disappeared-quot-from-my-licence

Edited by Obelix

Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001

You don’t need to take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. You’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike, however.

i think this means you can ride a moped (used to be 50cc not sure if its changed)

but however if you want to ride a motorbike, then you would have to do your cbt again

So why on my new license does it give me the A?

The website says I can ride a motorcycle, which I thought meant a 125 with L-plates as I could before the last updated one.

If you’re already licensed to ride a motorcycle, your licence should show category A

I had this on my original license, then when I got my last photo one, it had gone, now it's back again.

I was told that the best thing to do is never EVER send your licence back to DVLA for renewal. Hang on to it, and simply apply for a replacement licence as yours has been "lost"

You get a new licence, with an extra ten years validity, with a new picture and if anyhting is missing you can "find" your old licence and use that to take it up with them. There have been many cases of bike entitlements, PCV,LGV entitlements disappearing - I knew someone who had to retake his PCV tests again as the DVLA wouldnt budge and admit they had made a mistake. This despite his employer and previous one both producing photocopies of his licence and supporting paperworks that they held as part of his employment records.

Lookie here for some examples... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?119317-Motorcycle-Entitlement-quot-Disappeared-quot-from-my-licence

Ah yes Obelix, there is the same confusion in some of these posts.

dose it say A or A1

From the top it says

AM 22.03.14 to 1944

A1 -----------------

A2 -----------------

A 19.01.13 to 1944

according to that you can drive any bike lol

i'd call into a bike test centre an ask them

according to that you can drive any bike lol

i'd call into a bike test centre an ask them

Precisely, but not A1. It's a bit of a contradiction.

That's the page I posted earlier, and the reason for my original question!

According to this page:

I can ride:

Category A

You can drive:

motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg

motor tricycles with a power output more than 15kW

But cannot ride:

Category A1

You can drive light motorbikes with:

an engine size up to 125cc

a power output of up to 11kW

a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg

This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Does this make sense to you?

If you have a full cat A entitlement you can ride all the lower power bikes as well even if they are not explicitly lsited.

If you have a full cat A entitlement you can ride all the lower power bikes as well even if they are not explicitly lsited.

There doesn't seem to be any full or part written. It just says A. So I'm ok to get a 125 with L's then? That's how I see it now based on this.

My OH is selling her Suzuki Burgman 125cc scooter if anyone's interested. 57 plate, low miles, 12 months test. Will have to collect from Wirral though.