Motorbike question

hiya all wat im wondering is ive held my full uk car licence since jan 2001

im wanting to ride a 125 cc bike on road i no i have to take my cbt for this on a 125cc bike ect..

and that it only last's 2yrs after passing it

but do i have to take a motorcycle theory test aswell???????

No, only if you want to get a full licence. The CBT includes a theory element.

Rather than starting a new thread, I'm using this old one.

I know it's googleable, but I still can't work it out :confused::hihi:

I passed full car license in 1991. My old paper license had motorcycle entitlement up to 125cc with L's (I think)... my photo one doesn't seem to have this written on :confused:

(I did a CBT years ago - long since expired)

So what can I ride now, without doing anything?

I passed full car license in 1991. My old paper license had motorcycle entitlement up to 125cc with L's (I think)... my photo one doesn't seem to have this written on :confused:

Full entitlement on a 50cc machine, still need a CBT for anything over that (as far as i remember!)

Full entitlement on a 50cc machine, still need a CBT for anything over that (as far as i remember!)

Damn! I was hoping that I could get a 125cc. Seems like a swizz to me that I could ride one before but they remove the entitlement by forcing us have the new licenses! :mad:

emperor, do you know anywhere decent to get 50's in Sheffield?

I don't know whether my computer is dying or what, but I'm being pounded by adverts when trying to google somewhere. I'd rather go somewhere.

Damn! I was hoping that I could get a 125cc. Seems like a swizz to me that I could ride one before but they remove the entitlement by forcing us have the new licenses! :mad:

Why not do the test and get yourself a 250/350?

S/H 125s have (probably) been thrashed. A small 'big bike' has probably been owned by somebody who accepted its limitations and treated the machine accordingly.

A (new) 125 is quite adequate, but a 250/350 would (IMO - and I've been riding bikes for nearly 50 years) be a better bet.

If you want (more than enough) power and you want reliability, go for a 250/350 'plodder' - The Honda Rebel is worth more than a look. (If you can find a 250 Shadow, look at that too.)

As Rupert says, you're much better off going for the full test and opening your choices for bigger and better bikes. 125s are frustratingly slow and tend to be thrashed/tinkered with, not to mention they fetch a premium because they're a compulsory starter level for many.

Something a little bigger will be more comfortable, safer and could be cheaper.

Thanks for taking the time to respond RB and conrod.

A new 125 would do me fine, but I can't understand how I had one before on my license, and that that has changed. Had I not sold it (early 90's) would the law have just changed and made me an illegal rider?!

I don't want to do any tests RB.

Thanks for taking the time to respond RB and conrod.

A new 125 would do me fine, but I can't understand how I had one before on my license, and that that has changed. Had I not sold it (early 90's) would the law have just changed and made me an illegal rider?!

I don't want to do any tests RB.

Fair enough.

We don't sell bikes, just fix them, but if you're lookign for a 125 i'd call into Techmoto on Abbeydale Road, near the old picture palace. The chap in there is very friendly and helpful, and if you tell him what you want he may not have anything in stock but he'll have a look round what's available in trade and probably be able to help you.

To just bring back an old thread (again)

I wrote this a few years back.

I'm looking again at getting something as a run around.

Now when I wrote last time here:

Well, I've just got an updated license, and it's re-appeared!

There is AM (which wasn't on the last one)

and A which wasn't on the last one.

I still can't make head nor tail of this.

On the website, it says:

Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001 (which is me)

You don’t need to take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. You’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike, however.

Which says I need to do another CBT,

but then the next bit says:

Motorcycles

If you’re already licensed to ride a motorcycle, your licence should show category A. This will be the same if you renew or replace your licence after 19 January 2013.

Which it does.

:confused:

Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001

You don’t need to take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. You’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike, however.

i think this means you can ride a moped (used to be 50cc not sure if its changed)

but however if you want to ride a motorbike, then you would have to do your cbt again