Should teachers be rewarded with their own awards ceremony?

I don't like the way bananagirl argued this point with you, but I know quite a few past and current teachers across a range of schools.

Not a single one of them has an experience anything like you are describing.

They teach for the majority of every day. 2 Lessons in a day would be half a day, assuming the old style 4 lessons a day timetable, less on a modern shorter lesson timetable.

So either you know some very very unusual teachers, they've mislead you, or you're misleading us.

Im going to eat a lot of humble pie now ..... the short period that i did work at the school was march till july, which brings it in line with revision classes and exams, and by what Goon has stated in her/his post .... this could be the reason a lot of teachers had a lot less classes, however, i (looks like wrongly) presumed this to be the normal.

One poster claimed that a teacher would only have 3 to 4 weeks holiday a year because of the huge work load in holiday times, however none of my friends have had to spend more than a week (some only a few days) during the summer hols working on class prep (which is the only reason i mentioned them)

I dont begrudge teachers their holidays or their pay, its a job i just wouldnt want to do, so im grateful there are people out there who will, however my point was that i didnt think a teaching profession should have been singled out for a televised awards ceremony above thousands of other more deserving careers such as fire brigade, army, navy etc etc etc ... and what about the 'professions' that are more selfless than most for a pitance of a wage.. support workers, carers ... Unfortunatly this point has been lost in the argument

however none of my friends have had to spend more than a week (some only a few days) during the summer hols working on class prep (which is the only reason i mentioned them)

It all depends on what kind of teacher you are. It's very funny how some teachers put in much more effort in preparation and make an stronger effort to have a starter and plenary in their lessons to get a higher grade when there's an OFSTED inspection.

This years budget was around £2 million, but back in 2006 the "charitable trust" that organises all this took £700,000 from the ministry, spent over £500,000 on staff to distribute prizes of £6,300.

OK, they also blagged prizes in kind worth over £400,000 from sponsors who get advertising in return, but it seems an expensive way of doing things .... unless of course you regard it as a means of advertising for recruits and to keep employees happy?

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/registeredcharities/ScannedAccounts/Ends68%5C0001074968_AC_20060331_E_C.PDF

As a school governor I can tell you that the teachers at `my` school are incredibly hardworking, as indeed are all staff. When we arrive for our meetings at 5pm the carpark is still full of teachers cars. They are also some of the nicest and most cheerful people you could wish to meet, and the kids love coming to school.

In my opinion, some of the teachers need the cane.

Especially the student teachers :love: adminsitered by me

.......... the carpark is still full of teachers cars. ......

Off topic OK, but ....

We used to call it the playground!

If anyone's interested, I've worked in both Secondary and Primary schools teaching children from 4yrs to 16yrs.

I enjoyed both types of school, but Primary is definately the hardest, with 10 subjects to teach and no free periods. KS1 was actually harder than KS2 with all the children being so needy at such a young age.

And the paperwork is just as intense if not more so. I had to carry it round in a wheelbarrow.

In my opinion, some of the teachers need the cane.

Especially the student teachers :love: adminsitered by me

My kids have some of the hottest teachers ive ever seen.

Its a wonder any of the lads get any work done at all.

Not at all like the barkers from my day.

Should receptionists be awarded with their own awards ceremony?

The whole company falls apart if either the receptionist or the admin worker is off!.

It really is about how hardworking you are and the value that you have as a member of the workforce.

I accept that teachers are hardworking and it is now going to get much harder.

However, I do know a lot of teachers, one of whom goes abroad for 6 weeks in the summer holidays and I see out and about with his daugher at various activities she attends in the evenings.What needs to be done is that over a year, the total hours that are put in by a teacher should be added up and then the amount of pay that they get avaraged out to see what their hourly rate of pay is.

Compare it to other professions and see what they actually do.

However,the value of a teacher is for me how well they get on with our children and whether they bring out the best in them and allow them to reach their full potential.My daughter has several of these teachers.

You have to be a certain kind of person I guess to be a teacher, but an awards ceremony??I dont really think so.

As a school governor I can tell you that the teachers at `my` school are incredibly hardworking, as indeed are all staff. When we arrive for our meetings at 5pm the carpark is still full of teachers cars. They are also some of the nicest and most cheerful people you could wish to meet, and the kids love coming to school.

Which school is that?

Just interested as my daughter enjoys her school also.