Should teachers be rewarded with their own awards ceremony?

yes, and i actually worked in a school for a short while whilst on placement at uni

Was it a degree in emptying bins? Unless you are blind or stupid you will know that what you wrote here is a complete falsehood.

the teachers that I know (and thats a few) ....the teachers of 'older' kids only have 1 to 2 and at a push (but rarely) ... 3 lessons per day, leaving the rest of the day for lesson plans, marking work etc,

I don't mind people who think teachers have excessive holidays, it's a well known perk of the job. I don't even mind the old chestnut about us all leaving at 3pm (most sensible people know that's nonsense anyway).

However, pretending to "know" teachers and making up blatant lies about them only teaching 1 or 2 lessons a day I find totally unacceptable.

Teaching is a full time job and then some.

Good teachers who can inspire others and who can keep their enthusiasm shining through despite all the crap they have to deal with from unruly pupils and parents as well as the target obsessed government, deserve all the plaudits and recognition that they get.

As a teacher myself, no I don't think we should have an award's ceremony.

I teach 6 lessons a day [55 miins long] most days, as a head of department.

Re holidays etc......why don't people retrain to become teachers if they feel conditions are so good? We are DESPERATELY short of decent secondary school English teachers. Look forward to hearing from you.

Was it a degree in emptying bins? Unless you are blind or stupid you will know that what you wrote here is a complete falsehood.

I don't mind people who think teachers have excessive holidays, it's a well known perk of the job. I don't even mind the old chestnut about us all leaving at 3pm (most sensible people know that's nonsense anyway).

However, pretending to "know" teachers and making up blatant lies about them only teaching 1 or 2 lessons a day I find totally unacceptable.

Teaching is a full time job and then some.

Please restrain from personal insults, this is a debate, if you havent any debating skills then go and argue elsewhere. Yes i have a degree and no, its not in emptying bins (what a silly comment!!!) ...... i did work in a school for 3 months, the teachers did a sterling job in what only can be described as a challenging environment. PLEASE RE READ... I AM NOT DISSING TEACHERS, In the school i worked, no teacher taught from 9.30am to 3.pm, they had quite a few 'free periods' where they constructed lesson plans, photocopies and other resourses needed for lessons. Not only did i work in a school i have 2 very good friends who are teachers who do not spend all 'holiday' time slogging away over books as other posters have insinuated.

Now, for the umpteenth time, the debate was about the teaching profession being singled out, not how utterly fantastic and hard worked teachers are ..... this is getting very tiresome :rolleyes:

Please restrain from personal insults, Yes i have a degree and no, its not in emptying bins (what a silly comment!!!) ......

Degrees are given out to all kinds of illiterates and idiots theses days, they mean very little. I won't bother asking which glorified polytechnic issued yours.

i did work in a school for 3 months, the teachers did a sterling job in what only can be described as a challenging environment. PLEASE RE READ... I AM NOT DISSING TEACHERS, In the school i worked, no teacher taught from 9.30am to 3.pm,

If this school exists, I'd like a job there.

What on earth were you doing in this school pray tell? Certainly not teaching. Most teachers are lucky to have 1 free period in a day consisting of 5 or 6 periods. This is fact. Don't pretend you have "friends" who work 1 or 2 periods a day, it's just silly.

i have 2 very good friends who are teachers who do not spend all 'holiday' time slogging away over books as other posters have insinuated.

Are these the same friends who only teach 2 periods in a day? Or did you make that up?

Holiday time varies with experience. New / busy / poorly organised teachers have to devote a greater chunk of their holiday to catching up on paperwork. Your two friends are apparently so organised, they've managed to reduce their teaching workload to 2 periods a day!

I don't expect or want awards. I do expect people to refrain from making up lies just to discredit teachers. It's pathetic.

Degrees are given out to all kinds of illiterates and idiots theses days, they mean very little. I won't bother asking which glorified polytechnic issued yours.

You are not doing teachers any favours with comment like this. I hope the members of the forum do not think all teachers have these views. As a teacher you must value education at every level and not look down on others whose education you deem 'inadequate'. You must remember that you are part of the education system that feeds the Universities with these 'illiterates' and 'idiots'. Your comments can only serve to harm the reputation of teachers. Please give some thought to what you post in order to keep from being detrimental to the profession.

You are not doing teachers any favours with comment like this. I hope the members of the forum do not think all teachers have these views. As a teacher you must value education at every level and not look down on others whose education you deem 'inadequate'. You must remember that you are part of the education system that feeds the Universities with these 'illiterates' and 'idiots'. Your comments can only serve to harm the reputation of teachers. Please give some thought to what you post in order to keep from being detrimental to the profession.

I take your point, but I'm not sure I agree.

I'm afraid I don't value education at every level and I wouldn't encourage any children to do degrees in Surfing, or other mickey mouse subjects which are not academic disciplines, but serve only to distort the unemployment figures. Studying an academic discipline is not for everyone, the skills of many people lie elsewhere. I don't advocate pushing square pegs into round holes. I don't think it helps anyone.

Someone holding a degree is no longer indicative of a good education / intelligence. I met a recent graduate (film studies) last year who thought America was in Europe. Education itself has been devalued by government policy.

I'm afraid I agreed with Chris Woodhead when he said there are significant numbers of children who have made as much as much progress as they can in a conventional academic education by the age of 14.

I advocate vocational courses for these children, learning a skill and doing something they actually enjoy. Rather than studying for a meaningless degree and then being the most "educated" in the dole queue.

Just in case anyone thinks all teachers hold these views, they don't - my views are my own and professional opinion is somewhat divided on this subject.

The problem with teaching is that it attracts too many failed graduates, too many graduates who have micky mouse degrees who cannot secure a job after graduation, and then get onto a PGCE, simply because they have a degree.

Too many of these failed graduates ruin childrens education, and leave them with the skills to get by in our society after they leave school.

I had to laugh once at someone who had completed a PGCE, he said "I didn't realise I had to do so much marking" ......AAAAARRRGGGHHH "Does the marking do itself? " :loopy::loopy:

There are many fine teachers in our schools who do a fantastic job, sadly, their achievements/good work are being watered down, by the never ending influx of newly qualified PGCE failures.

what a snobby attitude!!!! ........ my degree is a vocational one, 3 years hard slog, i suspect very similar to a teaching one (not the PGCE) ..... but what the hell thats got to do with this debate is beyond me. You've obviously got a chip on your shoulder the size of a plank. If you really want to prove to all and sundry that your the most highly qualified, the most superior and only your opinion counts, then go ahead, i personally couldn't give a flying fig!

Thankfully the teachers that i know went into the profession because of a passion to teach, a love of being around young people and a true belief that they can make a difference, not to try to look down on other people and cast their superiority upon folk :rolleyes:

Now, if you can please get back to the thread

The problem with teaching is that it attracts too many failed graduates, too many graduates who have micky mouse degrees who cannot secure a job after graduation, and then get onto a PGCE, simply because they have a degree.

Not true.

A degree in a teaching subject is required to do a PGCE. English / History / Maths etc. Plus good GCSEs in Maths, English and now Science.

It's not possible to do a degree in film and television studies and then embark on a PGCE.

I had to laugh once at someone who had completed a PGCE, he said "I didn't realise I had to do so much marking" ......AAAAARRRGGGHHH "Does the marking do itself? " :loopy::loopy:

There is a high turnover of newly qualified teachers, perhaps this is more to do with the seemingly common perception that it's an easy job? The reality being quite different.

Thankfully the teachers that i know went into the profession because of a passion to teach

Not then because we only work a couple hours a day??

I took offence at your assertion that secondary school teachers teach 1 or 2 periods a day. That is nonsense. You seemed to back it up by saying you have a degree and "know" teachers:

the teachers that I know (and thats a few) .... the teachers of 'older' kids only have 1 to 2 and at a push (but rarely) ... 3 lessons per day,

I was merely pointing out that a degree is not an assurance of intelligence or authority.

Any teachers (and many other people) reading this know that what you said is not true. Why not just apologise for telling lies?

Not true.

A degree in a teaching subject is required to do a PGCE. English / History / Maths etc. Plus good GCSEs in Maths, English and now Science.

It's not possible to do a degree in film and television studies and then embark on a PGCE.

There is a high turnover of newly qualified teachers, perhaps this is more to do with the seemingly common perception that it's an easy job? The reality being quite different.

For primary courses, some ITT providers prefer you to have a degree in a national curriculum subject.

Not quite as narrow as English/Maths or now Science (how do you think we got science teachers before)?

But not a Micky Mouse degree.