Should teachers be rewarded with their own awards ceremony?

Mods, please do not move this to entertainment as its not solely about the TV show, just the principle.

Whilst watching this show earlier i started to think whether its really necessary to award teachers with an awards ceremony, Plumbers dont get rewarded with an award for a well fitted loo? ... Nurses dont get a medal for nursing sick (and often whinging) people, the police DO get awards for bravery, but shouldn't all police men/women be brave? if not, surely they shouldn't be police??

Do firemen get a televised awards ceremony? how about our service men? a police man/woman may face 'grave' danger .... what? ..... several times (if that) in their whole career, yet our soldiers face grave danger every day of a 'tour of duty' .... and dont expect an awards ceremony.

Im not saying teachers dont do a good job, I know they do, but they chose that profession, they are doing a career that they love, for a decent wage and a HUGE amount of holidays (paid).

Should the teaching profession be selected for a privileged, televised awards ceremony above thousands of other professions?

what do you think?

Guest sibon
Mods, please do not move this to entertainment as its not solely about the TV show, just the principle.

Whilst watching this show earlier i started to think whether its really necessary to award teachers with an awards ceremony, Plumbers dont get rewarded with an award for a well fitted loo? ... Nurses dont get a medal for nursing sick (and often whinging) people, the police DO get awards for bravery, but shouldn't all police men/women be brave? if not, surely they shouldn't be police??

Do firemen get a televised awards ceremony? how about our service men? a police man/woman may face 'grave' danger .... what? ..... several times (if that) in their whole career, yet our soldiers face grave danger every day of a 'tour of duty' .... and dont expect an awards ceremony.

Im not saying teachers dont do a good job, I know they do, but they chose that profession, they are doing a career that they love, for a decent wage and a HUGE amount of holidays (paid).

Should the teaching profession be selected for a privileged, televised awards ceremony above thousands of other professions?

what do you think?

I suppose I ought to declare an interest here, before I post.

I think the answer is no. I watched a bit of it and found it simplistic, nauseating, backslapping, patronising nonsense. A bit like the Academy Awards really, but without the stars.

yes, i agree, it was a bit of a 'lets stroke teachers ego' typa thing

Who organised the event? I agree its a strange thing to do, but there is nothing to stop eg GMC doing one for doctors, or CORGI for plumbers/gas fitters. Given that tv is filled with all sorts of oddities supposedly called entertainment they would probably televise anything thats cheap to produce.

No. Nobody gives me a pat on the back for doing my job and I didn't get a golden handshake when I joined so I think they should just get on with it and not expect a MOBO, Oscar, Grammy or Nobel prize.

This started when teachers were being hung out to dry in newspapers like the Daily Mail,(nothing new there then...) to lift moral.

Personally I think it's rather a waste of time and divisive. The winners are only representative of huge numbers of teachers who don't get any special recognition.

Having taught, primarily privately, but also within the government structure, I agree that an awards ceremony is excessive, however teaching is not everything it could be perceived as.

I received no government incentives to train, no golden handshake in employment and started (in a secondary) at a salary no higher than that of a probationary police officer, a playworker, a senior secretary etc etc. None of which require a degree and further study. In that respect it is well underpaid.

Tragically, the well touted holidays bear no relation to those we recall as a child, as they are crammed with changing classroom displays, marking for mid term holidays, resource preparation, syllabus lesson planning and so on. Some cram work into the beginning of the longer holidays or all at the end, but rarely do they enjoy more than 4 weeks genuine holiday in a year.

Teaching is a task, schools require much but give little, the government sets a bar but does not allow a teacher to implement it and children can run riot with more rights than any adult in the building.

My private teaching bears no scrutiny, pays higher but the hours are infrequent and inconsistent, public teaching, though consistent, is a farce.

So, because the real life experience of teaching is miserable for many, unless you are fortunate enough to teach very young children and/or those in a nice school, teachers deserve every incentive and should, IMO locally receive recognition.

Much the same as bus drivers or other public figures can gain some recognition for being exceptionally pleasant and helpful and delivering in ways above and beyond that which is required of them.

A televised event for those in the emergency services could make excellent viewing, if accompanied with the story about why they are nominated.

A story about an exceptional teacher would rarely achieve such interest, no matter how pleasant. A ceremony covering South Yorkshire or all of Yorkshire, to create a large enough coverage to make the figures worthwhile could be good and do much to raise morale and the standards achieved.

Having taught, primarily privately, but also within the government structure, I agree that an awards ceremony is excessive, however teaching is not everything it could be perceived as.

I received no government incentives to train, no golden handshake in employment and started (in a secondary) at a salary no higher than that of a probationary police officer, a playworker, a senior secretary etc etc. None of which require a degree and further study. In that respect it is well underpaid.

Tragically, the well touted holidays bear no relation to those we recall as a child, as they are crammed with changing classroom displays, marking for mid term holidays, resource preparation, syllabus lesson planning and so on. Some cram work into the beginning of the longer holidays or all at the end, but rarely do they enjoy more than 4 weeks genuine holiday in a year.

Teaching is a task, schools require much but give little, the government sets a bar but does not allow a teacher to implement it and children can run riot with more rights than any adult in the building.

My private teaching bears no scrutiny, pays higher but the hours are infrequent and inconsistent, public teaching, though consistent, is a farce.

So, because the real life experience of teaching is miserable for many, unless you are fortunate enough to teach very young children and/or those in a nice school, teachers deserve every incentive and should, IMO locally receive recognition.

Much the same as bus drivers or other public figures can gain some recognition for being exceptionally pleasant and helpful and delivering in ways above and beyond that which is required of them.

A televised event for those in the emergency services could make excellent viewing, if accompanied with the story about why they are nominated.

A story about an exceptional teacher would rarely achieve such interest, no matter how pleasant. A ceremony covering South Yorkshire or all of Yorkshire, to create a large enough coverage to make the figures worthwhile could be good and do much to raise morale and the standards achieved.

I disagree. I know a lot of teachers who go away to Europe for 6 weeks of the school holidays and get quite a handsome salary.Yes, I accept they also have to work out of school time.It would be interesting to add up in a week the number of hours worked and then add those up over a full year to see how many hours they work and what their rate of pay is.

My husband is a plasterer and he gets no holidays at all unless he loses his wages.12 weeks compared to no weeks.I think that is a reasonable comparison.

Teachers do a hard job and there are many good teachers who work very hard.I feel that there are many in professions working equally as hard and get no recognition,no pension, not many holidays and a very low level of pay.

I think if the general public are going to put the likes of Posh & Becks, Jordan, other wastes of space on a pedestal, then finally showing some appreciation to people who make a difference to society has to be a good thing.

They also have national cheese awards, sausage awards, Baftas etc.

If some people find award ceremonies a good way to promote their particular niche in life fair play to them, you don't have to watch the back slapping.

Many an inspirational teacher with brilliant ideas is squashed by government policy and has to teach to exams to raise a school's profile and position in the league tables - or their job is on the line.

Never has more been done by government dictators to squeeze the best, most influential teachers out of a profession

Surely 3 months holiday a year and knocking off at 3.30 every afternoon is reward enough?