The Coach and Horses Stocksbridge

Bistro Bar, they are also advertising for chef and other staff.

Also the old Liptons is suppose to be going to be a wilko or something.

Lets hope so that place has been boarded up for so long. A wilko would be a nice addition to the town centre. All we need then is for Wetherspoons to take over the Friendship and we will have a town centre to rival Wombwell!! except their market is better and they've got a Gregs, but no Lidl or Crawshaws.

I'd heard the old Liptons was going to be an ex-catalogue shop. Don't know how true it is, that came from one of the nearby shop owners.

Would appreciate a Wilko's more!

As for the pubs, it's about time we had somewhere decent to go without all the k**bheads!!

Spoke to Vernon. Had a look around. Everything is looking excellent with good contemporary decor going on. At last a professionally run establishment for Stocksbridge and surrounding area. People may actually want to come her just for a drink!! something that doesn't happen here and can't remember it ever happening - ever. Opening date end of 1st week in december ish. Good luck and thanks for taking a risk in this area. That's now two places that people can go on Manchester Road thats decent. Sylvesters and the Venue. Hey you neve know people may actually be able to have a bit of a pub crawl again. (Sorry forgot the Rugby Club, they're great too. Lots of effort and enthusiasm in that place, and always a great welcome).

Forgot to say, they welcome anyone over 18. Word is, they welcome anyone over 18 as long as they respect their surroundings.

I went in Sylvesters bar and grill the other night and I have to say I was a bit dissapointed, They seem to have recreated the place when it was trading as "Goodfellas" I was hoping for some thing a bit more upmarket. The beer was good and the staff nice but the stripped wood floor and minmalist wine bar styling is not really my thing.

I didn't eat there but the food that others were eating looked very nice, although the menu does look a bit pricey to be successful in Stocksbridge town centre, I suspect £7.95 for sausage and mash just won't sell no matter how good it is.

I was pleased to see the door staff, thay should keep the place under control, although I can see the local idiots queing up to have a go on Friday nights.

I hope the place does well, it should bring some much needed life to Stocksbridge, lets hope some one takes on the Friendship now and the town can start to live again in the evenings.

I didn't eat there but the food that others were eating looked very nice, although the menu does look a bit pricey to be successful in Stocksbridge town centre, I suspect £7.95 for sausage and mash just won't sell no matter how good it is.

I'm looking forward to trying this place - I'd say that £7.95 sounds pretty reasonable, if of course the food is of decent quality!

I'm looking forward to trying this place - I'd say that £7.95 sounds pretty reasonable, if of course the food is of decent quality!

The food did look very nice and you are right £7.95 is not a lot for a nicely prepared meal but I question whether it will work in Stocksbridge town centre, If I go out for a meal I would not consider going to Stocksbridge for it, despite the fact Sylvesters serve good food and I want them to succeed, I would go elsewhere.

The challenge is to get people like me to start using the town centre again, maybe if they started offering nice "shoppers" lunches at keen prices to attract people in it would work?

I was hoping that some independent landlord would resurrect the old Coach & Horses (incidentally the place where Samuel Fox sealed the purchase of the mills where he started his steelworks) and bring us a decent pub with hand-pulled ales and decent pub food, along the lines of the Bath Hotel or similar, where people can go for a quiet pint, comforting lunch and so on. But that was never going to happen!

I too hope Sylvester's will do something to attract a lunchtime market - might start spending some lunchtimes in there then!

I hope the postponement of the Dransfields development will allow them to come up with some improved proposals that will revitalise the town centre... we'll see.

Can anybody advise the opening times of this place? I have heard that is only open Thurs- Sun??

Can anybody advise the opening times of this place? I have heard that is only open Thurs- Sun??

Not in my experience... and their entry on an online pub guide I found suggests the following opening hours;

Monday: 17:00 - 22:00

Tuesday: 12:00 - 23:00

Wednesday 12:00 - 23:00

Thursday: 12:00 - 23:00

Friday: 12:00 - 00:00

Saturday: 12:00 - 00:00

Sunday: 12:00 - 22:30

Nice place... but pretty damn expensive.

Not in my experience... and their entry on an online pub guide I found suggests the following opening hours;

Monday: 17:00 - 22:00

Tuesday: 12:00 - 23:00

Wednesday 12:00 - 23:00

Thursday: 12:00 - 23:00

Friday: 12:00 - 00:00

Saturday: 12:00 - 00:00

Sunday: 12:00 - 22:30

Nice place... but pretty damn expensive.

HALT! I just re-read the thread title... this information is for the Coach & Horses up at Dronfield! Sorry if I've confused you... don't know if there's another one at Stocksbridge... but just google the name of it + opening hours.

I used to live at the Coach and Horses, my parents had it. Must have been around 1958.