How easy is it to fit your own carpet?

I'm thinking of replacing my living room carpet but my house is on the market so I don't want to pay a lot. I could get a room sized off-cut but how easy would it be to fit? The room is roughly square but has a hearth and a bay window. Do you think it's something me and my dad could do? Just in case, does anyone know of good carpet fitters that would do it quite cheaply?

Thanks,

Aqua

It shouldn't be too hard if you have a sharp stanley knife. I've put a few down on my own and I'm a girly!

yeh its easy, the only one I wouldn't attempt is the stairs lol

I`m a carpet fitter with 30 years expeience. The trick is to start off on a straight wall in a corner and work away from it. Fit the corner first then go down the straight wall first then the other. If you can, work towards the bay and towards the fireplace. Crease the carpet into the right angle created with the floor and the skirting board and then go down the crease with the stanley knife, gentley at first just incase you don`t get it right then on your second pass go right through. You can always hold the carpet in place with a few small nails.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions

It's a piece of cake really.

The main thing is DON'T RUSH! Rushing is when mistakes happen.

Also, if you aren't sure about cutting, STOP. Think! Remind yourself again which side of the cut is the "waste" and if necessary, cut further into the waste. You can always cut more off later if needed - you can't add bits in!

Oh and don't kneel in the path of the stanley knife. I've seen this done and the result of a slip looked painful!