Coronation Buildings - Infirmary Rd

Did anyone live, or does anyone know anybody that lived in Coronation Buildings on Infirmary Rd before they bulldozed it to build the Kelvin Flats

My grandma and uncles lived there around '63-'64.

I remember it being a bit rough when me and Mum used to visit - the number nine circular stopped right next to it on its way from Heeley.

The building was about four storeys high - rectangular and had a big courtyard where all children played underneath all the washing strung up across it - and dingy stairwells and long balconies - a bit like the Duke St flats but with more sides.

They were a bit rough I seem to recall - but they were lovely and cosy inside.

Can't get anything from 'Picture Sheffield'- they've got loads of pictures from that area around the time I want, but none showing the flats.

There was a row of shops with a cafe underneath where greasers used to hang out.

Any information would be appreciated.

If you are still around Brartby, my wife was born in the Coronation Buildings but left when she was 4 about 1953

Coronation Building I remember only had 2 storys, I lived at No 1 mrs Russell lived at no 2.

The shops on Infirmary Road was Marsden Pork Shop, a Cafe next door I forget it's name

Coronation Building I remember only had 2 storys, I lived at No 1 mrs Russell lived at no 2.

The shops on Infirmary Road was Marsden Pork Shop, a Cafe next door I forget it's name

The cafe was called 'Coronation Cafe'. There was 'Mortimer's Army Stores' in the same block as well.

My Mom worked at the Coronation Cafe in the early 50's, the owner used to takes us (Dad Mom my little sister and me) in his car to Fox house.

Edited by KenL60
correction

My Mom worked at the Coronation Cafe in the early 50's, the owner used to takes us (Dad Mom and me) in his car to Fox house.

As a teenager my teddy boy mates and I frequented the Coronation Cafe every Sunday night for pie and peas with our present girl friends after a night of wrestling with them on the back row at the Roscoe Pictures.It was run by a bloke called Horace,he was the most miserable old devil he looked bored to death all the time,I can see him now in my mind he always wore a short grey nylon coat and a dicky bow.This was in the late 50s all the time we went in I never saw him smile once maybe it was having to deal with cheeky buggers like we used to be!:hihi::confused::thumbsup:

It was about the mid 50's, 53'54 that my Mom worked there, I don't recall the name Horace, I new him as Mr Lane, was this 'Horace a thin guy with glasses?

On Friday nights at 12am Mom finnished work, and Mr Lane closed up the cafe, then at 3am he would come and pick my Dad up for the Saturday morning trip to Clowne to go fishing, my Dad was a water bailif there.

I asked my Dad about his name but he can't remember now.

Hi! I lived in coronation buildings from the age of 6months old until it's demolition! At first I lived in flat no 1 on the ground floor. We later moved into no 10 on the second floor! There were three floors all in. My grandparents lived on the top floor in flat no 14. The front ground floor had a butcher shop, a cafe and mortimers army store. Mortimers store sign lit up my grandparet's flat at night! Most of the flats were located on the upper floors. We all had bathrooms and coal fires. They were very cosy to live in. We had lots of fun playing rounders, cricket and tiggy of the ground. There were some lovely people live there with a very strong community spirit! My brother provided me with a photo that shows it clearly and brought back many memories! Happy and sad!

Edited by Pammie
Spelling

I remember those flats, my school friend Carol Young lived there and she used to take us to their flat at lunch time sometimes because she had to do some little jobs to help her Mum who went out to work. They were very nice inside and to have a bathroom was a luxury in those days. I remember the Coronation Cafe as well and that`s where I first saw a juke box and heard the sound of the frothy coffee machine. Happy memories. :P

Hi! I remember carol! Very nice lady!

hya,spent my youth in there ,langsette cycles across the road,the old gatefield pub , just a bit further up . the dragon pub a little further down ,i remember the wollens who lived above the cafe, you are right about the owners name , it was horace ,his daughter also worked there, her name i think was pat ,:):)