Sutherland Road Baths

We used to go to Sutherland Road baths when I worked at the English Steel Corporation.

I think their swimming club had the baths on a Wednesday night.

I always remember going in on the cold dark nights and finding the baths almost steaming they were that warm and very welcoming.

Happy Days and Nights!

Have just joined Forum and was amazed to see Sutherland Road Baths mentioned. Have tried for info elsewhere but decided it was a figment of my imagination! My auntie (10 years my senior) had the dubious honour of taking me there in the 50's on a weekly basis to try teaching me to swim. What really happened was she parked me in the lovely warm slipper bath then went off swimming with her mates. I remember that we always spent our bus fare (1d or maybe even a halfpenny) ) at a little shop close by - usually an unbuttered breadcake - then had to walk back home to Grimesthorpe Road. Don't know how far that was cos I was only little but it seemed to take ages! Does anyone know where I can view pictures of Grimesthorpe area in the 50's?

He wasn't as big a bully as Mr Ellis at Corporation Street Baths. Bloody hell, i really disliked him.

Nigel, do you mean the swimming bath at the junction of Corporation street and bridgehouses. I have been doing some work down there for the Inner ring road. The place was being demolished but you couldn't imagine there being enough room for a swimming pool.

Phil T

Nigel, do you mean the swimming bath at the junction of Corporation street and bridgehouses. I have been doing some work down there for the Inner ring road. The place was being demolished but you couldn't imagine there being enough room for a swimming pool.

Phil T

Hello,

Corporation Street baths was only 16 2/3 yards long. It was just for recreational swimming. The deep end only had 66 inches of water. There was no walkway at the deep end, just a ledge about 24 inches wide. It was a good place to learn to swim. It had one slipper bath at the bath level and two more at a lower level - alongside the Don. The men's toilet was also on the Don side and they always left the window open - I think on purpose - so that nobody lingered very long. In winter, it was absolutely freezing.

I was taught to swim there in the early 1940's by Herbert Morton, the manager. A real nice guy. After the war, he managed Sutherland Road and then Park Baths. After that, I think he retired.

When they used to have the Star Walk on Whit Monday (or Tuesday), the Race always finished at Corporation Street Baths. So the competitors could use the facilities after the race.

If you wanted to do lengths, 25yards), you went to Sutherland Road baths. I went there from Burgreave School (1948-1951) and took my Bronze Medallion test in the pool. We were taught by Ken Rawlins, a Burngreave Teacher. Never heard of a Mr. Scott

I was looking through a box of records,etc. the other day and found my old Bronze Medallion (dated 1951). It's still wrapped in tissue paper in the little red box. Amazing

Regards

I also used to go to with Mr Scott. I can't remember my best time for swimming a length but if I went over it he used to make stand at the side of the pool and bend over so he could whack me on the backside with a float for every tenth of a second I'd gone over it. I must have only been about ten at the time. Still can't look at a float without remembering the sting and shame. He also used to have us swimming with our feet looped together with the same bunsen burner tube and a brick hanging from the loop. If you stopped moving your arms you sank to the bottom quick. He was a monster.

Does anyone know where I can view pictures of Grimesthorpe area in the 50's?

have a look on the website picturesheffield, mentioned in most threads in this section. there's loads and loads of pics from all ove sheffiedl.

just input "Grimesthorpe" (or names of streets you can remember) into the search section on the site.

Have just joined Forum and was amazed to see Sutherland Road Baths mentioned. Have tried for info elsewhere but decided it was a figment of my imagination! My auntie (10 years my senior) had the dubious honour of taking me there in the 50's on a weekly basis to try teaching me to swim. What really happened was she parked me in the lovely warm slipper bath then went off swimming with her mates. I remember that we always spent our bus fare (1d or maybe even a halfpenny) ) at a little shop close by - usually an unbuttered breadcake - then had to walk back home to Grimesthorpe Road. Don't know how far that was cos I was only little but it seemed to take ages! Does anyone know where I can view pictures of Grimesthorpe area in the 50's?

Have you visited the anyone from Grimesthorpe thread ?

Have you visited the anyone from Grimesthorpe thread ?

Yes thanks - I visited it but didn't recognise much of it.

have a look on the website picturesheffield, mentioned in most threads in this section. there's loads and loads of pics from all ove sheffiedl.

just input "Grimesthorpe" (or names of streets you can remember) into the search section on the site.

Thanks - had a look and found it very interesting. Didn't recognise many of the pics but there was one of the corner shop which we lived across from.

I too remember the legend that is "mr scott" looking back i dont think, being as young as we were, we appreciated his humour. we went from earl marshal school in the early/mi-seventies and seeing the fearsome mr francis perched on the edge of the pool mr scott offered a chocolate bar to anybody who would brush past him and accidentally push him in. nobody dare, but it made us laugh, but upsetting francis was bridge too far. incidentally i bumped into mr fracis a few years after leaving school in the bookies at page hall, he said he was just checking how a "friends" horse had gone on with a wry grin. dont think the teachers were as bad as we all remember.

:help: I remember mr scott he pushed my head under the water and i thought i was drowning i hated him he was realy mean .:help:

I Remember mr scott he pushed my head under the water i thought i was drowning he was very mean man