Sutherland Road Baths

hello

newbie to this site

just had to reply to this thread!

seen lots of stories about mr scott on various other sites! all bad!

well heres mine.

early 70's and at firs hill school.

swimming lessons with mr scott at sutherland rd.

all the stories you've heard are true.

me and my mate greg were always sent to fetch mr scots dinner from the nurery school next door.

tray, plated meal and desert with a drink of water in one of those plastic cups you got at school, covered with a tea towel.

oh! and a few extras courtesy of me and greg !!!

sorry but its true!

horrible man.

dean

I went with Firs Hill Juniors around 1974-76. Mr Scott tried to "teach" me how to swim by laying me & a few others face down at the edge of the shallow end, telling us to put our hands behind our back, then lifting our legs & sliding us in head first.... Lovely !!!

Also remember Mrs Taffinder, who used to flick a wet towel under the changing room door if you were messing about :D

But the "Bar Six" chocolate bar & a plastic cup of scolding hot lemon tea from the vending machine at the end of session made up for it...... Then it was off to where the swings were across the road to see who the nerve to jump off that low building :thumbsup:

can any one remeber a sandwich shop across from

sutherland road baths run by a iti woman

and the wash house round the corner

hi xxxxxx66

sorry wednesdayite, cant bring myself to type that word!! only jesting!

cant remember tha sandwich shop but remember the wash house.

it was a 'Bendix' wasn't it?

Dean

Best Corned beef & piccalilli sandwiches ever !!!!!!

Mr Scott was not a bully he was evil

From some of the postings to this thread, it would seem Mr. Scott got worse as he aged. I had him for a swimming instructor from 1951 to 1955. He taught me through all the life saving certificates to the Bronze Medalion and continued on to the Complete Swimmer Certificate. He was a hard task master but found him to be fair and he would never pass you if he felt you wasn't good enough. I remember he also was a coach for my girl friend who was a top swimmer and would I be in trouble if I even spoke to her while she was in a training session.

'A Pitsmoor Camera' by JR Wrigley has a picture of Sutherland Road baths taken in 1974 (page 43), as well as some cracking pics of Pitsmoor in general. Great little book for eight quid.

can any 1 remember the wash house at the side of the baths and the hair dressers on the corner also not forgetting little wembly

and the wash house round the corner

Trust you to think about your belly Piggy.

can any 1 remember the...hair dressers on the corner......

I think the name of the family was ROSS .

Mr Scott was not a bully he was evil

I didn't realise how long Mr Scott must have taught for.

I went to Concord Middle School 1969 to 1972. In our last two years we could go to the swimming baths which we were taken to by bus.

Mr Scott would have his hair slicked back and wear glasses as I remember. I was a weak swimmer and never even achieved one length (25yards?). Scotty was strict and firm, he always walked ahead of me at the side of the pool with a stick and loop, presumably to pull me out if I needed it, but never did he once shout at me, dunk me or other such nastiness. What were the school teachers doing at this time, weren't they in attendance at the same time giving a helping hand? I'm an occasional swimmer now but made sure my two were swimming before they were at infants and both exceeded by miles, literally, my non 25yd certificate.. Just remembered the school gala's held at the baths, parents in attendance of an evening, I didn't imagine it did I? Looked forward to spending my sixpence in the crisp machine in the entrance at the end of a session, just remembered the turnstiles on entry. Loved the changing rooms at the side of the pool, you could launch yourself from your cabin straight into the pool once you'd done a left and right check of course....