Do you wash your hand in public toilets?

I always carry a small bottle of the antibacterial cleaner (hand gel that requires no water of towels) so after touching the door handle on the way out i can cleanse my hands - handy stuff to have in your bag.

The degree of hygiene freakery on here is simply astounding.........

The degree of hygiene freakery on here is simply astounding.........

So is the level of mysterious "tummy bugs" always going round the general populous if one ignores basic hygiene.

(Not to mention MRSA, C-diff et al).

i wait until i get outside the toilets then use a hand sanitizer which then solves the problem of touching the door handle. i don't care if people think i have not washed my hands, i know there clean

I'm amazed at how many people on here think like me regarding this. I have OCD and was under the impression that I was in the minority of people who worried about handles and things. I hate going to public loos and can't understand why people are so thoughtless with regards to their behaviour in them. There's often wee on the seat for a start. When I do use public loos I use loo roll to open the handle of the cubicle and touch the flush. Then I wash my hands (though there is the problem of turning some taps off afterwards) and either use a sleeve to open the door or stand around the driers waiting for someone to go out first so I can follow them. I find that with most public toilets the doors require you to push them as you go in and pull them as you go out. Would it not make more sense to put them the other way round? Then you could pull the handles with relatively clean hands (that will be washed soon anyway) on the way in and use your shoulder/foot/something to push the door open on the way out.

Considering it is basic hygiene and the majority of people on this thread would prefer everyone washed their hands, could the ones that think it's not important just do it anyway for the sake of niceness? I'm always worried when I have house guests that they won't wash their hands. They don't after taking their shoes off with their hands and then they eat!

Slightly OT but it also really annoys me that a lot of people have stopped covering their mouths when they cough. I loath sitting on a bus and feeling someone cough into my hair. When I board a bus I actually look round to see who looks least likely to cough (as if you can tell!) and sit in front of them.

Edit: Also, I do carry hand gel for times when there's no sink handy and I feel the need to clean them but...

the gel may kill most of the germs on your hands and clean them to a degree but it's still not the same as actually washing them, the germs won't come off like they do with water/scrubbing and to me a lot of the worry about hand hygiene is just the particles of dirt I know are there. I think if you rely on the gel for use in public toilets you should still wash them with water first just to get off all the dirt that's built up on your hands since the last time you washed them.

This thread is great!

I thought I was fussy, but it never occured to me that I use an anti-bacterial hand sanitiser as well!

I saw some in Poundland, 4 small bottles for... can't remember how much they were but I'll get meself some :)

I am sick to death of after washing my hands in public toilets

I can't be bothered to read through all this thread to see if this joke has been made but:

Personally, I tend to wash my hands in the sink, not the toilet. Boom boom.

I can't be bothered to read through all this thread to see if this joke has been made but:

Several times. Including on the first page. Sorry.

Read the thread we had this on about the 3rd or 4th posting.

(still very funny)

..don't want to spook you, but you have to get it out of your bag with your unsanitised hands! :hihi:

Then you touch your bag to put it back, and thus your bag hands are, once again.... Unsanitised.... Total Hygene Success!!!! :hihi::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I can't be bothered washing my hands after going to the loo....I just lick them clean :hihi:

*attempts badly to imitate Jabbers quick wit and repartee* :D

ah, rats. Didn't see the thread until today.

I have pet rats...they lick their hands clean too :hihi::hihi: