Truck Driver Nearly Ran Me Off The Road.

A simialar thing happened to my girlfriend on friday.A delivery lorry ran her off the road and wrote her car off.She was in the left lane and he moved in from the right lane he didnt even stop or report it.We reported it to the police but as we havent got the names of any witnesses as of yet theirs not alot they can do.What was the company the lorry belonged to?

A simialar thing happened to my girlfriend on friday.

Did it?

A delivery lorry ran her off the road and wrote her car off.She was in the left lane and he moved in from the right lane he didnt even stop or report it.We reported it to the police but as we havent got the names of any witnesses as of yet theirs not alot they can do.What was the company the lorry belonged to?

If the lorry changed lanes on the highway and hit the car without stopping, then that IS bad driving and luckily your g/f was not seriously injured or worse, and you have a casae to report to the police.

But with respect, your case is not at all similar to the OP's other than the fact an HGV was somehow involved.

The OP was trying to join a road, the OP should give way. Having to then perform, I quote "a screaming stop", suggests extremely bad roadcraft on the part of the OP

Being a rofessional driver and covering well over 30k a year both round town and motorway driving I am well awa range of WLLare of the rules of the road, I did not fail to gie way as there was amle room. I am wel aware of the stoing distances of long heavy vehicles haven driven WWII vehicles as a hobby from jees, half tracks and a sherman tank. As for judging the distanceboth of a moving object and judging range in general again something I am full caable of doing having been a kean target and clay pigeon shooter for many years.

I am also well aware that there was no obstruction stoping him from pulling over, he was blatantly not paying attention.

I also am a professional driver holding a professional vocational driving license (HGV) and i drive around 100,00mls per year and have done so for 15 years, every now and then even i (whom is perfect :)) makes the odd mistake, i would look at your OP and the quoted post when you have calmed down and reconsider your opinion....

You DID fail to give way as if there WAS apmle room, the incident would not have occoured in the first place.

It is not an offence to not pull over to allow traffic entering via a slip road (ignorant maybe) but it is an offence to fail to give way if the situation demands so.....your reluctance to give way because you presumed the HGV would move over nearly caused a serious accident and injury to the workmen.

Take it on the chin and accept that this maybe wasnt your finest moment of driving.

A simialar thing happened to my girlfriend on friday.A delivery lorry ran her off the road and wrote her car off.She was in the left lane and he moved in from the right lane he didnt even stop or report it.We reported it to the police but as we havent got the names of any witnesses as of yet theirs not alot they can do.What was the company the lorry belonged to?

Again, i see more to this than meets the eye.......

If your GF was already on the road and the truck overtook her and collided on its return to the left then bad driving on the truck driver is to blame, however, truck drivers tend not to spent their days intentionally 'ramming' folks off the road...

Car drivers with no experience of driving high sided commercial vehicles seldom recognize the factors involved in driving such vehicles, such as the massive blind spots and often 'slip' down the side unaware that the truck driver simply cannot see them..also, the sheer weight and pulling power of a truck means that the driver can often be unaware that he has collided with a car (especially if the collision happened after the cab-side swipe) simply because he wont feel the impact.

There is a clear warning triangle with "GIVE WAY" written on it at these roadworks warning drivers who are joining the parkway from the Markets sliproad that they must GIVE WAY. Not merge, but GIVE WAY. I use it every day, several times a day, and if I think I can't get into the traffic safely I prepare to stop and GIVE WAY until there is a gap.

however, truck drivers tend not to spent their days intentionally 'ramming' folks off the road...

Quite.

If they wanted to do that, they'd have become bus drivers! :hihi:

(sorry,forum rules, any driving related thread must involve bus drivers)

What bloody annoyed me was the fact I'd given plenty of warning, he made no effort to slow down and had no intention of pulling across to the outside lane of the parkway which he could have easily done as there was no traffic in that lane.

Bloody idiot!

Question is do I report him to the company, the police or both as I managed to catch up and take his registration and fleet number?

Sounds like you nearly ran yourself off the road really.

The truck was in no way obliged to change lane to make way for you. It's up to you to adjust your speed and enter the main carriageway when it is safe to do so.

If you report him to his company or the police I'm sure they will tell you the same thing.