Truck Driver Nearly Ran Me Off The Road.

Was pulling onto parkway today from parkway approcah and there's road works at the end of the slip road with the lane going straight to Prince of Wales Road being partially closed.

I knew about this from earlier in the week so made sure I indicated early to give other road users plenty of warning, checked my mirror to see a 16 wheeler truck coming up my outside, not a problem as I had plenty of room, looked back forward to check my distancing in front from the road works went to pull out again and the truck had sped up (intentionally or not I do not know) I slammed on the brakes and came to ascreming stop (in a transit) no more than half a foot away from the cones and barriers of the road works, which directly behind was a two to three foot drop aswell as workmen.

The struck sped straight past without slowing to see if I was actually ok or had caused any damage etc pulled out to overtake anothertruck in front and off he went.

What bloody annoyed me was the fact I'd given plenty of warning, he made no effort to slow down and had no intention of pulling across to the outside lane of the parkway which he could have easily done as there was no traffic in that lane.

Bloody idiot!

Question is do I report him to the company, the police or both as I managed to catch up and take his registration and fleet number?

You had to obey the give way didn't you? You don't know if he could have let you in, either accelerate or slow down to insert yourself in the traffic.

You weren't that car waiting to get ont Parkway this morning quarter past 8 ish? I saw a car entering the Parkway normally while two vehicles were hugging the cones and stopped.

Most HGV's if not all have a limiter fitted so unless it was a porsche in disguise the it sounds to me as though you mis-judged the distance between yourself and the on-coming truck. Have you any idea how long the stopping distance is for a 16 wheeler ? Like most inconsiderate car drivers today the never take into account that it takes larger vehicles further to stop.

Like the closet today who decided to cut in front 15 meters from a roundabout, luckily for him the outside lane he swapped from was left vacant otherwise he'd ave got shoved to kingdom come :rant::rant:

Was pulling onto parkway today from parkway approcah and there's road works at the end of the slip road with the lane going straight to Prince of Wales Road being partially closed.

I knew about this from earlier in the week so made sure I indicated early to give other road users plenty of warning, checked my mirror to see a 16 wheeler truck coming up my outside, not a problem as I had plenty of room, looked back forward to check my distancing in front from the road works went to pull out again and the truck had sped up (intentionally or not I do not know) I slammed on the brakes and came to ascreming stop (in a transit) no more than half a foot away from the cones and barriers of the road works, which directly behind was a two to three foot drop aswell as workmen.

The struck sped straight past without slowing to see if I was actually ok or had caused any damage etc pulled out to overtake anothertruck in front and off he went.

What bloody annoyed me was the fact I'd given plenty of warning, he made no effort to slow down and had no intention of pulling across to the outside lane of the parkway which he could have easily done as there was no traffic in that lane.

Bloody idiot!

Question is do I report him to the company, the police or both as I managed to catch up and take his registration and fleet number?

Several points...

Firstly, you never indicate early, no matter the circumstances.

Secondly, you were on the slip road, the truck on the main carrigeway, he

had right of way, you had to give way (and failed to do so)

Thirdly, trucks can accelerate quickly but not when already traveling at speed, remember, they are limited to 56mph MAX

It may be that he could have moved over but its likely that he couldnt at that moment for whatever reason, possibly a vehicle on his right obstructed from your view by the sheer size of his vehicle and also by the fact that you had other 'obstacles' to negotiate.

Im not saying that you were totaly in the wrong here but the fact remains, he had right of way, you didnt. :D

Being a rofessional driver and covering well over 30k a year both round town and motorway driving I am well awa range of WLLare of the rules of the road, I did not fail to gie way as there was amle room. I am wel aware of the stoing distances of long heavy vehicles haven driven WWII vehicles as a hobby from jees, half tracks and a sherman tank. As for judging the distanceboth of a moving object and judging range in general again something I am full caable of doing having been a kean target and clay pigeon shooter for many years.

I am also well aware that there was no obstruction stoping him from pulling over, he was blatantly not paying attention.

Being a rofessional driver and covering well over 30k a year both round town and motorway driving I am well awa range of WLLare of the rules of the road, I did not fail to gie way as there was amle room. I am wel aware of the stoing distances of long heavy vehicles haven driven WWII vehicles as a hobby from jees, half tracks and a sherman tank. As for judging the distanceboth of a moving object and judging range in general again something I am full caable of doing having been a kean target and clay pigeon shooter for many years.

I am also well aware that there was no obstruction stoping him from pulling over, he was blatantly not paying attention.

Have you got stiff keys on your keyboard? :hihi:

Bloody idiot!

Unfortunate, but it sounds like he wasn't in the wrong. Maybe he wasn't polite by pulling out (maybe there was a car overtaking him), but he wasn't obliged to make room for you.

Seems odd that in the time it took to look forward he'd managed to get a truck alongside you... Maybe you misjudged his speed or accidentally slowed down a little.

Have you got stiff keys on your keyboard? :hihi:

yes, the keyboard on my other laptop is goosed.

That may be so, but considering that you nearly pulled out of a slip road into the side of an HGV and not only that, left so little margin that you had to come to a "screaming stop" to avoid it, suggests that for whatever reason, maybe you were tired or unwell, your driving was not up to your usual standard....

yes, the keyboard on my other laptop is goosed.

I thought it was either that or you were typing angrily.

As to what you should do, I don't think we or you have enough information for some of the comments made, they do seem quite strong. But it does look like the driver was inconsiderate at the very least. So report it to the firm but not the police if you feel that strongly about it. I do think though that assuming someones actions leads to this kinda thing. I would hold back unless I see the driver start to pull out, slow down or flash me.

Might seem harsh and is only judging on one side of the story, but the OPs driving seems very bad. Making an assumption that there's still roadworks in the same place, assuming that someone will give way, not leaving enough room to stop. We're probably all guilty of it at some time, but it's not the HGV drivers fault, he did nothing wrong. Best put down to experience and move on.

Thats what I'd do, have it a lot joining motorways and just come in behind (no pun intended lol) and then move out and carry on with my journey.