Animal screaming at 4 am

This has happened a few times now. Down at the bottom of the garden is a bank with trees and shrubs. 2 nights ago I was woken at 4 am by a terrible screaming - rather like a cat yowling, but all on one note, interrrupted with snarling. It was very loud and sounded as though 2 creatures were killing each other. I couldn't get near enough to see what was going on, but was within 5 feet or so when I shouted at them to stop it and there was dead silence.

There was no barking, so I don't know whether it was foxes. My next door neighbour regularly has badgers in, digging up the garden. Could it be badgers fighting? The only other wild life we see regularly are squirrels.

Hope someone can help.

the same thing happened in my garden last year,it was foxes

I just came to add that I too think its foxes :hihi:

It's foxes. We have a family of them in the field behind my house.

FOX!!!!!:o They scream like a child in extreme pain, scare me to death sometimes.

owls can also make odd noises not just twit wooo as we are led to believe

I couldn't get near enough to see what was going on, but was within 5 feet or so when I shouted at them to stop it .

:hihi: Did you follow with a lecture about how its naughty to fight, and if they were mating they should do it somewhere more private?

It was probably a couple of randy foxes! My friend had the same problem... lasted months so it all became a bit of a joke.

First time I heard foxes I honestly thought someone was being murdered!

It might have been a badger/cat/fox orgy!... were there any tins of Whiska's and empty bottles of stella there the next day?