Where is the best place in Sheffield to drive for the sake of driving?

Ok you just fancy going for a drive. You don't want to stop anywhere. Don't want to be held up by 30mph speed limits, red lights and traffic jams. You really don't want to have to look at flats, offices and a hundred shops along the way. Where do you go?

Drive after midnight anywhere:thumbsup:

Or, Snake Pass as mentioned above, or the roads from Buxton towards sheffield

do you have a new car then :D

go along the stocksbridge by pass to flouch then straight on at the roundabout turn left after going down the dip and it leads to winscar reservior,through dunford bridge then back along woodhead pass great drive!

Thought that this thread was about sheffield run out ??? yer pillocks.... my advice is to try and run around the bolsterstone valleys.. google em ??? see its in sheffield yer nuggats.... Try and stay geographically correct posters... :thumbsup:

Probably around Pitsmoor and Burngreave late at night. Best to wear lots of expensive clothing and jewleery and to carry lots of cash.

I like the drive down the Rivelin Valley and out towards the Snake. It's even better when it's been snowing.

I like the drive down the Rivelin Valley and out towards the Snake. It's even better when it's been snowing.

I love that route, drive it for no reason at leats once a week. I love it out at the peaks and the Strines.

Thought that this thread was about sheffield run out ??? yer pillocks.... my advice is to try and run around the bolsterstone valleys.. google em ??? see its in sheffield yer nuggats.... Try and stay geographically correct posters... :thumbsup:

I once came face to face with a tank on one of those narrow little roads!

Me in a little Nissan Micra and him in a bloody great tank. The thing filled the road and I had to reverse for about half a mile to let him pass, I COULD have argued with the bugger but he had this 10 foot cannon pointing at my bonce!

It is a good drive though, just not long enough.

I had a quick spin to Hope and back the other day - testing my car before it was sold - drove from Ecclesall to the small roundabout in Hope and back again. It was very pleasant!

I went that way yesterday and was sitting in traffic jams most of the time.

I recommend Bradfield around Dam Flask and up towards Midhopestones. It is much quiter and unlike the Hope valley is not full of tourists.

Probably around Pitsmoor and Burngreave late at night. Best to wear lots of expensive clothing and jewleery and to carry lots of cash.

Well I do this drive frequently late at night and don't see a soul. Only little old me in me car.

I commute to Halifax every day and the first 10 miles between Stannington and Midhopestones is along back lanes and can be very relaxing (on the way home) taking in the scenery which changes on a regular basis. Alternatively, it can be white knuckle as I have to pick someone up in Huddersfield in the mornings. The journey can take 15 to 25 minutes depending on which method of driving I employ.

Either way, it makes the commute bearable if not enjoyable.

(PS Penistone Road which runs between High Bradfield and Mortimer Road is closed for re-surfacing for 4 weeks - not my fault, honest.)

I'll second that. I commute to Huddersfield every day and love the drive. It sure beats and hour and a half on the London underground and DLR every morning.