Where is the best place in Sheffield to drive for the sake of driving?

Looks like it's Hope or bradfield then! I just find driving relieves the stress and I feel the need to escape for a few hours!

Indeed, I wish I could drive, I can just imagine driving along, Meatloaf CDs blaring out (loud but not TOO loud), where would I drive to? All over... Including Meadowhall, sod sitting for half an hour on the Tram when I could get there in a car in about half the time, even if the traffic was a bit heavy.

Try driving up to Redmires reservoir its so peaceful when you get there you can't hear a thing, It's absolute Bliss.

Indeed, I wish I could drive, I can just imagine driving along, Meatloaf CDs blaring out (loud but not TOO loud), where would I drive to? All over... Including Meadowhall, sod sitting for half an hour on the Tram when I could get there in a car in about half the time, even if the traffic was a bit heavy.

Not sure the first think i'd think of to relieve stress is by driving to meadowhall :hihi: That place causes stress!

I remember once driving uo to the Strines road at midnight, passing the Strines pub and parking on the little mud layby thing and sitting on the bonnet of the car and having a smoke.

It was jet black and dead quiet and as my eyes adjusted to the light I remember seeing the milky way and the Hale Bopp comet.

I stayed there for about two hours in the end just enjoying the silence and the night sky.

Banner Cross to Castleton via Ringinglow Rd - Fox House - Hathersage - Hope - Castleton and back.

50 minute round trip, no hold ups.

Done it with our baby a time or two to get him to sleep ;)

i'm glad most people have said the north-west borders of sheffield,i live in deepcar at the moment, and i agree there are some great peaceful drives out here on this side of town,and some beautiful countryside which a lot of people don't bother to visit or just take for granted

get your a-z out and go for a run in your car,enjoy it,you pay enough for the privelige!

go before the sun sets on a clear night to one of the hills:thumbsup:

I remember once driving uo to the Strines road at midnight, passing the Strines pub and parking on the little mud layby thing and sitting on the bonnet of the car and having a smoke.

It was jet black and dead quiet and as my eyes adjusted to the light I remember seeing the milky way and the Hale Bopp comet.

I stayed there for about two hours in the end just enjoying the silence and the night sky.

Yeah.... I was married to a woman like that once:D

Yeah.... I was married to a woman like that once:D

Yep it WAS after a row with the ex :D It was either bugger off for a drive or neck her!

Nowadays with the price of petrol being so high it would be cheaper to neck the cow-bag.

I don't drive every day either, but I started getting really nervous whenever I sat behind the wheel, so I decided to go on the advanced driving course to build up my confidence a bit. I was also terrified of driving to places I'd never been as I didn't want to get lost.

Anyway, I've been doing this course now for about 6 weeks and I'm really enjoying driving again. My observer has asked me if I'll consider training to be an observer too when I've passed my test :thumbsup:

This sounds really good? Any more info?

..crikey, I bet you need size 12's to cover your carbon footprint!

Eeek, it's the thought crime police!

This sounds really good? Any more info?

There are free driver assessment days every month, the next one is on Sunday 26th October 9.30am-11.30am. An IAM Associate will sit with you in your car for about an hour. It's very enjoyable & you'll get some great tips on your own driving skills & also how to drive eco-friendly.

http://www.sheffieldadvancedmotorists.org.uk/ See the group diary pages for more info about the driver assessment days

The next course starts in January, but you can keep going to the free driver assessment days until the next course starts or for as long as you like.

Oh I hope I see you there on 26th Oct!

To keep on topic, when I go out with my observer every week for about an hour & half, she directs me to places I've never been before and I drive on all different kinds of roads & situations. It really makes driving an enjoyable experience and I'm learning how to be a better & safe driver at the same time.