Does Anyone Remember "Jungle-Juice"?

Bass also had a ' No.2', which was the first run of a porter style beer or stout and was just as potent as 'No.1'.

The old lags were possibly referring to the old fashioned Draught Bass which I used to call '9 o'clock lights out' 'cos I often couldn't remember a thing that happened after 9pm. Never woke up in a cell though :hihi: It went out of fashion because it was a bit thick on the tongue and you couldn't get a 'head' on it.

Most of the old unpasturised beers were a useful laxative.

Barley wine was always served in a short stemmed galss wasn't it ? funny how we remember the important thing in life :D

Gold Label is barley wine. Used to be 10.9% ABV, now it's a little weaker, about 9% i think.

Hey Jabberwocky, regarding the term 'Jungle Juice. It was used as a general term for Stone's Best. I dont know if the quality deteriorated over the years but back in the 50's it was a powerful brew and that's how it got the name.

I remember in 1979 being in a pub in Ecclesfield and I had a bad cold and someone suggested I had a couple of Barley wines... I ended up having about six.

Next thing I remember clearly was being in a night club in the middle of Sheffield- I dont even remember the name of it- and I was utterly sober as a judge. Id actually drank myself sober, something I always thought was impossible.

Hey Jabberwocky, regarding the term 'Jungle Juice. It was used as a general term for Stone's Best. I dont know if the quality deteriorated over the years but back in the 50's it was a powerful brew and that's how it got the name.

Thanks for that! That sounds about right, I remember the bloke mentioning something like Stones best and according to him it was an absolute killer!

No - I can't remember it but mine's a pint....:hihi: I seem to remember that Stones' "Queens" ale had a similar effect....

Queen's Ale was brewed by Tennants, and then for a short time (I think) by Whitbread. I believe it was brewed again for a very short time in the early 80s by Whitbread, but all of it was before my time!

As for laxatives, Ward's Sheffield Best Bitter was the finest of the lot ...... God I miss the proper stuff ......

That's right - I was thinking of Stones' "Keg" bitter. When ordinary Stones' bitter was about 1/9 a pint, "Keg" was two bob. Ooops..... showing my age.:sad:

YOUR ALL WRONG ABOUT JUNGLE JUICE. JJ was what some john smiths landlords added to their beer throughout the 70s and 80s. Outside the licensed trade its also known as "Water"

YOUR ALL WRONG ABOUT JUNGLE JUICE. JJ was what some john smiths landlords added to their beer throughout the 70s and 80s. Outside the licensed trade its also known as "Water"

I remember getting booted out of a boozer because I tried the trick of putting an empty pint glass into a half full one of beer to show how much water there was in it.

It was the Freemasons at Hillsborough and I had to wait for almost two years before he let me back in again.

I can recall my male family members referring to such a drink back in the 1940-50's but, I never saw anyone actually drink the stuff. To be quite honest, because they spoke of it in a humourous manner I thought it was to describe any of the beers around Sheffield at the time which had the strong laxative effect which blokes always seemed to think funny.

I remember the look on my father's face when he took a sup of a newly-pulled pint and he'd remark, "It's like b****y Jungle Juice that b****r".

Duffems.

I don't remember Jungle Juice, but remember the T'owd Lads back in the sixties talking about it, and It's potency, and in pubs over the years listening to people younger than myself waxing lyrically of it's virtues; as if they had been brought up on it, the only thing they would have been on at the time would have been the teat. As I remember being told, Jungle Juice was a extra strong bitter made by stones as for It's laxative effect I don't know, but I can attest to the laxative effect of Wards best bitter sold at the Wentworth House Hotel in the sixties and early seventies, during that time I never saw a George.:thumbsup:

"Stones" Jungle Juice. did'nt need a mix it was the best around