Sign in to follow this  

When will the first child be killed?

Talk about accidents waiting to happen. The council have just spent a few bob putting the new paving stones for blind people at all the bus stops at Southey Green*. Now what about doing something to stop the cars speeding up the pavement across the front of the co-op and chemist?

Just setting off from work and a car pulled across the front of me, on to the footpath in front of the chemist, narrowly missing a small child that was running - as kids do - on the pavement.

There were 9 cars parked on the footpath outside the co-op and chemist with cars playing dodgems with the pedestrians and other cars as they fought for non existent spaces!

No understatement when I say one car must have been doing 20-25 mph to try and grab a space!

Surely its only a matter of time before some kid gets killed. Then they might do something about it. I just hope its not one of mine.

*On a subnote. It was fun watching them from office window putting down the ones on Southey Hill. Took 6 of them 7 hours on Wednesday and whenever I looked there was never more than 2 working at any one time.

Take date-stamped photo of the illegally-parked cars and send it to the highways department of the council.

If you can get through!, call the police with vehicle registrations and insist on recieving an incident report number.

They came round all the businesses in the area about 4 weeks ago asking opinions. To my knowledge, everyone said the same thing to them - accident waiting to happen. Not even any temporary measures since.

Perhaps if the taxis cleared off the sliproad/parking area outside the shops round the corner, people would park there !!

Worst thing that ever happened there was the taxi office opening.

I don`t condone the way drivers treat the co-op area as a car park,but you can`t have it all ways, ban the 'taxi rank' so providing a safe parking zone.

The businesses in the area will soon start to disappear if there no where to park.Can't see the co-op or Rompi liking it either if parking is stopped outside thier shops.

The space in front of those shops is big enough to build a proper parking area for cars. That is what we suggest and asked for. As well as bollards to stop the cars mounting the pavement in front of the chemist.

I agree re the taxi firm. And the buses as well. Those little P1 and P2 buses (I think) are always parked in there taking up two and three spaces. We have complained to the Transport Executive about this and I know they have been told not to park there but still they do.

For once the area is actually growing business now that Rompi has accepted you cant leave the buildings to neglect!! Wait until the new "cresh" opens next to the taxi firm and sandwich shop, now that will be interesting.

I can not so long ago remember when the area really was thriving, fruit and veg, butchers, newsagents, fresh fish and jolly Harry the hardware shop.

Sorry but I disagree the area can never be thriving again, no matter how Rompi pretties up his shops, I don't call tanning and dance studios exactly a thriving area.

If it wasn't for the co-op opening til 10pm and Rompi selling booze to the underage there'd be no-one around there

Oh yeh, who decided it would be a good idea to site the bottle banks in the car parking area ?

In any local area shopping precint in this day and age, tell me where there is a fruit and veg shop, fresh fish shop and a hardware store. I remember when that hardware store had a second hand furniture shop upstairs where you could put your furniture, someone would buy it and the guy would take a commission from it!

We have complained about the bottle banks as well. In particular the amount of glass lying around. These also take up two parking spaces.

The Magnet is having five shops and some appartments built on it I understand. There will also be parking spaces for the shops.

But it still deters from the original question as to why nothing will be done until someone is killed or injured.

Originally posted by MobileB

In

But it still deters from the original question as to why nothing will be done until someone is killed or injured.

You could take the matter up with our caring council leader....her email address is at the bottom of this page

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/a-message-from-the-leader-of-the-council

Originally posted by jan2002

If it wasn't for the co-op opening til 10pm and Rompi selling booze to the underage there'd be no-one around there

If it wasn't for the co-op I'd never stop there, just keep on driving through. When I do go to the co-op I usually park in front of the cash machine, accessed via the drive-way directly in front of it.

I would say that the best way to handle it would be to add a similar set of markings and bollards to those in front of Tesco on Herries Road, and to do it soon. I've nearly had my car rammed by someone mounting the kerb on the wrong side of the bus stop at high speed just to try and beat someone else to a space!