The Wicker Station hotel

The Wicker Station Hotel.

Station Hotel – Tetley

When I worked on Walker Street at Wigfall’s 70-71 ish, I and some work mates often went into the Station Hotel at dinner times. We would first buy a sarnie from the nearby Hardy’s baker shop (did a supa dupa bacon and egg), then we’d go in the Station Hotel for a pint and a cuppla frames of snooker.

My recollection of the "Station" goes back to 1944, when a relative became the licencee. At that time it was a "tied" Rawson P.H.: however, shortly after the end of the war, Rawson's sold out to Duncan Gilmour.

"The Viaduct" up the street was already a Gilmour "House", so the brewery then had two pubs almost side-by-side. When situations like this occured, you would have expected the brewery to either close or try and sell one of them. But that wasn't how the game was played back then. Pub licences were like gold and the breweries could only get a new licence if they "turned-in" at least one old one. Can't remember when Gilmour's sold to Tetley's.

Regards

Edited by Falls

......Can't remember when Gilmour's sold to Tetley's.

1954 apparently. You can still see the name on several ex Tetley houses.

Here's a good example.

1954 apparently. You can still see the name on several ex Tetley houses.

Here's a good example.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information and the picture. The picture also forced me to give the "Grey-Matter"a good working.

Can I make a guess and say that particular "Rutland Hotel" is at the junction of Brown's Street, Furnival Street and Sydney Street ?

I do make occasional visits to Sheffield but spend most of the time visiting folks. I seldom have the time to roam around the place catching-up on "what's new and what's gone".

Regards

Edited by Falls

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information and the picture. The picture also forced me to give the "Grey-Matter"a good working.

Can I make a guess and say that particular "Rutland Hotel" is at the junction of Brown's Street, Furnival Street and Sydney Street ?

I do make occasional visits to Sheffield but spend most of the time visiting folks. I seldom have the time roam around the place catching-up on "what's new and what's gone".

Regards

Spot on, Falls. Not been in there for a couple of years or so but last time it was ok with a good selection of ales and a pleasant bit of a beer garden.

On 15/04/2005 at 22:10, tara said:

I remember going in the station hotel in 70s.

There was these sort of talent nights , anyone could get up and sing on stage.

there was one old dear called ma who always sang her own cheeky version of old king cole.

she was there most nights i think.

Old King Cole was a bugger for his hole ;-) 

On 26/07/2005 at 20:30, janjan21 said:

I remember the Station and i bet your parents are Linda and Tony the last time i saw your parents was in a fish and chip shop in Blackpool you add moved there and ad been there around 2 to 3 years when i came in,and your grandmother lives on hyde park walk and i saw her the other day she is now in a wheelchair (correct? im janet and i add my wedding receiption in the station i married dennis but now divorced OHHHHHHHHHH such bad memories lol Love to all

MY Nan passed away the year after this post in 2006 x

On 12/10/2011 at 14:37, 25195348 said:

The Station Hotel as a special memory for me,my younger brother had his wedding reception there in the upstairs room,if you needed a drink you went downstairs to the bar,in a cage hanging at the end of the bar was a Myna bird,and it could talk,but all you could get out of it was Where,s AUDREYany memories of that

Think the Minor bird came after us we left in 1982 

On 21/12/2011 at 09:04, Kidorry said:

The Red Lion,aka.the Grosvenor.

On 03/01/2013 at 18:50, Gabz said:

That was my Grandmar and Grandad, Rose and Ted Clay, I was very small when they were at The Station and often sat in the snooker room keeping out of the way. I must of been about 6 or 7 years old. They did have 2 Minah birds and I do remember one talking, but cant remember who Audrey is. They also had a pet pig which was like a dog and had St Bernard dogs. They had an old dog called scruff that used to put fags out with its paws and another dog called Hovis. Funny how can remember the animals and not all the people. My Grandmar was like a fog horn and ruled the roost as such and there were times when grandad Ted did most certainly want to strangle her. They had 4 sons Roy, Ted, John and Ernest and I think my dad Roy Clay went to school with Alan Statham. Anyway many happy memories at the Station Hotel and very friendly people.

they must have been just before us then as we moved in in 1976 to 82, took the snooker table out a couple of years after moving in, it was then one of the busiest pubs in sheffield, packed every weekend with wannabe crooners lol 

On 15/04/2005 at 22:10, tara said:

I remember going in the station hotel in 70s.

There was these sort of talent nights , anyone could get up and sing on stage.

there was one old dear called ma who always sang her own cheeky version of old king cole.

she was there most nights i think.

Not sure if you will get this but yes my parents started the talent night. When the snooker table came out to make room for the concert room, we found rats under the floor boards. I remember being scared stiff!  Only been there a short time when we found the rats it was disgusting urgh still makes me shudder. We got shut pretty quick though

Edited by heavenmbmaa