The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

The York? It's in a student area, but I don't think you'd call it a student pub. It's a mixture of people from what I've seen.

regretfully if I sold it any cheaper I may as well close the doors and open a launderette or a pizza take away. The price I have to buy from the pub company from dictates the retail price to customers.......that's one of the problems with the Pub Co model, but stuck with it at the moment regretfully.

However, we do try and stock beers no one does in the area, at least most of the time (exceptions do apply), so I would argue that chances are you may not find the same product anywhere else in Broomhill at that time.......that may or may not be important to you, but it is to some who like to try different guest ales rather than the Broomhill norms.. Deuchars for example is sold in at least 2 of the 6 Broomhill pubs......I personally like to try and avoid the National brands as far as I can....

have to admit though, the Fox does have a good rotation of very renationalized guest ales at lower prices than us, but then they are subsidized by the Students Union so its no contest for pricing.....

i didn't realise you had such strong ties with a pub co, purely because you actually sell some decent, and as you say, more unusual guest ales, something i rarely come across in pubs under pub cos. its very important to me to have different beers (if there was only deuchars on i'd probably buy cider).

coming from kent, i'm also a little upset at you seemingly having spitfire on all the time, i can drink that at home ;)

The York? It's in a student area, but I don't think you'd call it a student pub. It's a mixture of people from what I've seen.

I have done it before when you think a place is mixed but then you feel out of place because of your age. I get the same feeling when i walk in to some pubs wearing a suit. wasnt planning on going to the york. just good to know about other areas of sheffield.

i didn't realise you had such strong ties with a pub co, purely because you actually sell some decent, and as you say, more unusual guest ales, something i rarely come across in pubs under pub cos. its very important to me to have different beers (if there was only deuchars on i'd probably buy cider).

coming from kent, i'm also a little upset at you seemingly having spitfire on all the time, i can drink that at home ;)

Its called a franchise from M and B but they have access to hundreds of cask ales, most other pub co's only offer a very small range of about 10 or so, so we are well placed for guest ales:thumbsup:

We put Spitfire on as its not normally offered in any other Broomhill pub, and fairly rare to find in Sheffield in general. Its also very popular, probably the most pop National brand we put on, because in general I dislike the National brands.

I too am from Kent, Whitstable to be precise, so yes I take your point about Shepherd Neame ales. I want to put on Bishops Finger, but its one that we cannot source at the moment which is a shame because its better than Spitfire.....we have it on at the Dove and Rainbow sometimes and its very very good...

No its a very mixed bag ages from 18 to 60......average age is about 30 I would say so its never dominated by purely students.....

Its called a franchise from M and B but they have access to hundreds of cask ales, most other pub co's only offer a very small range of about 10 or so, so we are well placed for guest ales:thumbsup:

We put Spitfire on as its not normally offered in any other Broomhill pub, and fairly rare to find in Sheffield in general. Its also very popular, probably the most pop National brand we put on, because in general I dislike the National brands.

I too am from Kent, Whitstable to be precise, so yes I take your point about Shepherd Neame ales. I want to put on Bishops Finger, but its one that we cannot source at the moment which is a shame because its better than Spitfire.....we have it on at the Dove and Rainbow sometimes and its very very good...

mmmm yes agree with you about bishops finger, you rarely even see that in kent, never mind south yorkshire!

im from maidstone :D

Went to this on Weds after reading this thread. Wouldn't have dreamed of going in when it was a Scream pub. Very pleasantly surprised. Felt like a real pub with character. Really nice vibe and we'll be back. (we are both 40 btw ;))

mmmm yes agree with you about bishops finger, you rarely even see that in kent, never mind south yorkshire!

im from maidstone :D

When I was last home in Kent I found it in one pub only in Whitstable.....everything else was Spitfire or Master Brew (both ok but not the best).....we try and get the Bishop in whenever we can, in fact I will do a search for more Shep Neame ales tomorrow and see what I can order in...they have a few other interesting brands, Summer Hop Ale, Whitstable Bay, Master Brew, Kent's Best Invicta Ale........the latter is very scrumptious too:)

When I was last home in Kent I found it in one pub only in Whitstable.....everything else was Spitfire or Master Brew (both ok but not the best).....we try and get the Bishop in whenever we can, in fact I will do a search for more Shep Neame ales tomorrow and see what I can order in...they have a few other interesting brands, Summer Hop Ale, Whitstable Bay, Master Brew, Kent's Best Invicta Ale........the latter is very scrumptious too:)

i've only ever seen kents best as a smooth ale. summer hop ale i enjoy very much - not overly keen on the whitstable pay, and master brew is one of the dullest ales i have ever had. have you ever had the early bird? or the late red? they have a season ale for each season (hence the summer hop for summer) with early bird being for spring and late red for autumn. im not sure what the winter one is although i know they have a 7%+ christmas ale which is delightful.

[quote=Sharp87;5092180

]have you ever had the early bird? or the late red? they have a season ale for each season (hence the summer hop for summer) with early bird being for spring and late red for autumn. im not sure what the winter one is although i know they have a 7%+ christmas ale which is delightful.

We had an Early Bird I think.....