The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

We went to the York for a drink last week for the first time since its refurbishment I was very impressed. The atmosphere was warm and relaxed.

The barman was friendly and knowledgeable about the beer.

Certainly better purple than yellow!!

They should definitly bring back the yellow and burgundy colour scheme and get some comfortable seating. It was a shame M&B had to sell the lease on the York, the Broomhill student population really is an untapped gold mine

They should definitly bring back the yellow and burgundy colour scheme and get some comfortable seating. It was a shame M&B had to sell the lease on the York, the Broomhill student population really is an untapped gold mine

:lol::lol::lol:

hope thats a wind up!

It is indeed a gold mine and we have worked out the map to it...M and B couldn't manage it thats why it was on the verge of going bust.... without us this would by now have turned into a pizza restaurant or some nasty discount curry house....:| Certainly without us this would not be open as a pub now, that I can assure you......

I dunno, inside sources have told me that they were exceeding their targets of 60k a year, but M&B have been losing money so had to recuperate some. With three scream pubs in Sheffield, one of them had to go and the York was the least profitable and/or in the least desirable location.

I dunno, inside sources have told me that they were exceeding their targets of 60k a year, but M&B have been losing money so had to recuperate some. With three scream pubs in Sheffield, one of them had to go and the York was the least profitable and/or in the least desirable location.

That doesn't really add up. If M&B are losing money, it wouldn't make sense to get rid of a pub which was exceeding it's targets and was profitable - regardless of whether another 3 Scream pubs were in the area. It would make more sense to reduce their estate where pubs were not meeting their targets, regardless of market saturation.

That doesn't really add up. If M&B are losing money, it wouldn't make sense to get rid of a pub which was exceeding it's targets and was profitable - regardless of whether another 3 Scream pubs were in the area. It would make more sense to reduce their estate where pubs were not meeting their targets, regardless of market saturation.

True. But this site was not making a profit, I have top level sources on this right at the top of the Scream chain!! They wanted shut of it fast and gave us a superb deal. It was about to close down and await sale, but we got in quick just before they pulled out and left it closed and boarded up.

Personally I think they were mad to sell it though, they could have hung on...the Ranmoor student village opening this September with 1000 new students each year is going to massively boost the Broomhill pub trade, there is no doubt about it.....We are expecting very big things and are already preparing for the new student year. The Summer will be quiet of course, it always is around here, but The York is introducing live music very soon, and like the Dove and Rainbow, will be staging bands several nights a week....watch this space....

but M&B have been losing money so had to recuperate some. With three scream pubs in Sheffield, one of them had to go and the York was the least profitable and/or in the least desirable location.

It was the least profitable that is for sure, but the location is quite superb. And bear in mind my other post, the new Ranmoor student village only 1/4 mile from the York is once again going to make Broomhill as popular an area again as it was in the past:)

So is it an M&B franchise or do you own the freehold now? They franchise out lots of their pubs along the tenancy model but with generous beer discounts.

So is it an M&B franchise or do you own the freehold now? They franchise out lots of their pubs along the tenancy model but with generous beer discounts.

freehold? I WISH!!!!!!!

Its a franchise, and yes the beer is cheap to buy in....if it wasn't I would not be here....

freehold? I WISH!!!!!!!

Its a franchise, and yes the beer is cheap to buy in....if it wasn't I would not be here....

i'm assuming you are refering to lagers etc but i'm going to bite anyway.

i went in tonight and it was £2.70 for a 4% guest beer. i know you will give me the usual line about "paying extra for quality" but i can get a quality 4% guest ale for 50p less than that elsewhere. i quite like it in there but the prices for the ales are very excessive.

i'm assuming you are refering to lagers etc but i'm going to bite anyway.

i went in tonight and it was £2.70 for a 4% guest beer. i know you will give me the usual line about "paying extra for quality" but i can get a quality 4% guest ale for 50p less than that elsewhere. i quite like it in there but the prices for the ales are very excessive.

regretfully if I sold it any cheaper I may as well close the doors and open a launderette or a pizza take away. The price I have to buy from the pub company from dictates the retail price to customers.......that's one of the problems with the Pub Co model, but stuck with it at the moment regretfully.

However, we do try and stock beers no one does in the area, at least most of the time (exceptions do apply), so I would argue that chances are you may not find the same product anywhere else in Broomhill at that time.......that may or may not be important to you, but it is to some who like to try different guest ales rather than the Broomhill norms.. Deuchars for example is sold in at least 2 of the 6 Broomhill pubs......I personally like to try and avoid the National brands as far as I can....

have to admit though, the Fox does have a good rotation of very good guest ales at lower prices than us, but then they are subsidized by the Students Union so its no contest for pricing.....

Edited by goldenfleece