Sensational double drama on Spital Hill

Maybe on his way back to Barnsley the murderer popped in for a loaf?

What's Bolton's bakery at Chapeltown got to do with a sensational double drama on Spital Hill?

Well, he certainly never got to Chapeltown. Poor man, he threw hissen under a train passing through the old Wicker Goods station.

Watson, we seem to be getting somewhere, did the deceased, when found under the train that finished his existence have, perhaps under his arm or maybe in a nearby bag, a loaf of bread that was itself indicative of its source e.g the name of the baker?

If so, whilst we have not solved the mystery we are, making progress, I have to go now the Bloodhound needs feeding.

Very elementary my dear xenia!!

My mother who is in her late 80s does have a memory of this incident. She states that the murdered woman was "Russian" That could mean she was from anywhere in eastern europe, that the husband was a good deal younger than her. That he worked at a nearby steelworks whist she ran a shop, (cant remember what type). That he had either been allowed to leave work early or had returned home unexpectedly to find his wife in flagrante with another female.

She has no memory re dates other than she thought it was around Xmas time. Her memory of the incident is quite strong as she states that she was pregnant at the tim and heard the story while travlling on the tram to visit the doctor.

Hope this helps

Anybody got any memories of a drama that occurred on Spital Hill, I think in the 1940s, when a woman who had a clothes (second hand?) shop was murdered in the shop by her husband, who then set fire to the premises (they were wooden), and ran across Spital Hill to near the end of Carlisle Street and down into the railway goods yard --where he threw himself under a train. I recall that it was a tremendous sensation at the time, but because it was an open-and-shut case of murder and suicide it has never been featured in any of the books on Sheffield murders. I was a lad at the time, and I am not exactly sure of what year this happened, but I do believe it was in the late 40s. Anybody any memory of this?

Thanks, Xenia, that is helpful. Seems to ring a bell, though when you mention Russian, I always think of the Russian Edna case which was at around that time (well, at least within a few years). But it is a start. I have done a fair search in the newspaper files, but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack when one doesn't have even a rough date. If I knew a name, of course, I could search for a death under that name. The fact that it was a murder-suicide means there was never a trial, but, at the time, it must have been a front page story. If it hadn't happened when I was a kid, and if I hadn't seen the burnt-out shop the next day, I might not have been interested in finding some info all these years later, but it is intriguing!

Watson, we seem to be getting somewhere, did the deceased, when found under the train that finished his existence have, perhaps under his arm or maybe in a nearby bag, a loaf of bread that was itself indicative of its source e.g the name of the baker?

If so, whilst we have not solved the mystery we are, making progress, I have to go now the Bloodhound needs feeding.

If we can examine the loaf and carbon date it we'll have the date of the murder and suicide.

Its not the Russian Edna case, Edna was murdered some years later, her murderer was released on license and the last time i saw him he was working as a chef at the Fiesta, he used to call for a drink at the Mulberry when i worked there.

Thanks, Xenia, that is helpful. Seems to ring a bell, though when you mention Russian, I always think of the Russian Edna case which was at around that time (well, at least within a few years). But it is a start. I have done a fair search in the newspaper files, but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack when one doesn't have even a rough date. If I knew a name, of course, I could search for a death under that name. The fact that it was a murder-suicide means there was never a trial, but, at the time, it must have been a front page story. If it hadn't happened when I was a kid, and if I hadn't seen the burnt-out shop the next day, I might not have been interested in finding some info all these years later, but it is intriguing!

Hi,

I think it was in the late 1940's or very early 50's. The shop was a funny wedge-shaped place because there was an alley behind that came out on to Spital hill at an angle. It was right opposite the end of Carlisle Street and some years later -after it had been repaired - it became a DIY shop.

I thought the lady did dressmaking and alterations but she might also have sold second-hand clothes.

As far as I remember, the lady was sitting there, possibly at her sewing machine. The husband rushed in, threw petrol all over her and then set it alight. She had no chance. Then he rushed out for his appointment with the train.

Yes it was a sensation.

You must also remember the other Spital Hill classic a few years later. The fatal shooting at the pub further up "The Hill" - opposite the bottom of Spital Street/Bramber Street. Didn't they call it the East House or something. Never been in the place.

Regards

I used to work with a bloke who was shot in the East House. He always said that if he had not thrown his hand up the shot would have missed him completely.

The man who carried out the shootings was released years ago, there was a piece in the Star about it, I think he went back to West indies.

I used to work with a bloke who was shot in the East House. He always said that if he had not thrown his hand up the shot would have missed him completely.

My mother who is in her late 80s does have a memory of this incident.

She has no memory re dates other than she thought it was around Xmas time. Her memory of the incident is quite strong as she states that she was pregnant at the time

Hope this helps

Erm...butting in here, but seeing that laddo's quest would be a lot easier with a year....if your mum was pregnant at the time, surely that would mean that either you or a brother or sister was on the way?

So unless she had umpteen children, wouldn't it be just a case of scribbling down your ages and working it backwards to arrive at a (selection of, perhaps) year?

Or have I misunderstood?!

Never thought about that, thanks, It would make it 1946.

Erm...butting in here, but seeing that laddo's quest would be a lot easier with a year....if your mum was pregnant at the time, surely that would mean that either you or a brother or sister was on the way?

So unless she had umpteen children, wouldn't it be just a case of scribbling down your ages and working it backwards to arrive at a (selection of, perhaps) year?

Or have I misunderstood?!