Sensational double drama on Spital Hill

Anybody got any memories of a drama that occurred on Spital Hill, I think in the 1940s, when a woman who had a clothes (second hand?) shop was murdered in the shop by her husband, who then set fire to the premises (they were wooden), and ran across Spital Hill to near the end of Carlisle Street and down into the railway goods yard --where he threw himself under a train. I recall that it was a tremendous sensation at the time, but because it was an open-and-shut case of murder and suicide it has never been featured in any of the books on Sheffield murders. I was a lad at the time, and I am not exactly sure of what year this happened, but I do believe it was in the late 40s. Anybody any memory of this?

Anybody got any memories of a drama that occurred on Spital Hill, I think in the 1940s, when a woman who had a clothes (second hand?) shop was murdered in the shop by her husband, who then set fire to the premises (they were wooden), and ran across Spital Hill to near the end of Carlisle Street and down into the railway goods yard --where he threw himself under a train. I recall that it was a tremendous sensation at the time, but because it was an open-and-shut case of murder and suicide it has never been featured in any of the books on Sheffield murders. I was a lad at the time, and I am not exactly sure of what year this happened, but I do believe it was in the late 40s. Anybody any memory of this?

Blimey, thats a story and a half! Ill ask my dad and uncle, see if they remember anything.

Hi,

I think it was in the late 1940's or very early 50's. The shop was a funny wedge-shaped place because there was an alley behind that came out on to Spital hill at an angle. It was right opposite the end of Carlisle Street and some years later -after it had been repaired - it became a DIY shop.

I thought the lady did dressmaking and alterations but she might also have sold second-hand clothes.

As far as I remember, the lady was sitting there, possibly at her sewing machine. The husband rushed in, threw petrol all over her and then set it alight. She had no chance. Then he rushed out for his appointment with the train.

Yes it was a sensation.

You must also remember the other Spital Hill classic a few years later. The fatal shooting at the pub further up "The Hill" - opposite the bottom of Spital Street/Bramber Street. Didn't they call it the East House or something. Never been in the place.

Regards

You must also remember the other Spital Hill classic a few years later. The fatal shooting at the pub further up "The Hill" - opposite the bottom of Spital Street/Bramber Street. Didn't they call it the East House or something. Never been in the place.

Regards

I was friendly with the landlady of The East House about twenty years ago. The stories of what went off there were still a common talking point almost thirty years later.

There's a link here:

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/easthousemurders1960.htm

Thanks Falls, re the murder/suicide story of the man and his dressmaker wife, I have always felt it was late 1940s or very early 1950s, but have been unable to find it in the old newspapers, mainly because I can't pin it down to an exact month and year. I just remember what a sensational drama it was at the time, but I was a boy then and it would be interesting to know more of the facts now.

PS Being in Canada, did you ever hear of an author called Morley Callaghan --a former pal of Ernest Hemingway?

Redfyre

Did you know that Ernest Hall, Ernest Hemingway's Grandfather was born and bred in Sheffield.

Happy Days! PopT

Yes, he was a member of a well-known Sheffield cutlery family, and originally went to the US to sell the firm's products. I wonder if any members of that family have retained links with anyone in Sheffield?

Redfyre

Did you know that Ernest Hall, Ernest Hemingway's Grandfather was born and bred in Sheffield.

Happy Days! PopT

Terrific piece of info! Do you have any other details.

The Ernest Hall in question was the father of Hemingway's mother, I think, and, as I said before, he went out to the US initially on a sales mission, later setting up a branch over there and settling. One of the biogs of EH mentions the Sheffield link. Off hand, I cannot remember which of the Hall firms in Sheffield it was --there were two or three with Hall in the title. It certainly wasn't Walker and Hall, but it was a very well known cutlery firm of that era. If you are really keen to know more, it might be an idea to start a thread on the topic, on here or on the history site, for it would be good to be able to have the whole story on record.

PS This is a long way from the murder/suicide story on Spital Hill...and I'm still hoping someone will be able to pin down a date.

Still hoping to put a date and names to the murder/suicide sensation on Spital Hill, but so far research has produced...nowt!

Boltons bakery chapeltown. did anyone out there work at the bakery up burncross road in the60s.

What's Bolton's bakery at Chapeltown got to do with a sensational double drama on Spital Hill?